AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have some 1080p mkv video files that I want to stream to my PS3. My PC isn't powerful enough to do the transcoding on the fly however, so I need to convert the files first to a format the PS3 supports.

So, now my question is, what is my best choice of formats to go to? I want something that is lossless or near-lossless for both video (I have a 1080p TV with 120Hz) and audio (my receiver is new and can handle all types of audio formats). But, I also don't want something that will take 3 days to convert, or make an 8 gb video file be 40gb. And I want something that will work well outside of the PS3 also as I will be deleting the original files, but want these to work on my future devices too.

So using the program MkvToVOB, these are my options. What do you think would be the best for me to choose based on the above?:

Video Transcoding (Choices: )

--Automatic

--Always

--Never

Output File Extension (Choices: )

--mpg

--m2ts

--vob

--mp4

--avi

Transcoding Codec (Choices: )

--MPEG-2 (Fast)

Xvid (Medium)

x264 (Slow)

x264 High Bitrate (Slow) (Says: Best quality, but File Size is several times the original)

Optional Checkboxes (all are unchecked by default):

-Overscan Compensation

-Use PCM instead of AC3

-Use 448kbps AC3

-Use Old File Format

THANKS!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Try GOTsent, it's the fastest mkv2PS3 converter I've used and I've never seen any loss of quality when converting videos on it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. But what I just want to know is...what are the best settings in mkvtovob from what I listed above that I should choose for my situation?

(where I want as lossless audio and video as possible, semi-quick conversions, strong compatibility with future media systems, and file sizes that don't grow much from the original)

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.