AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to research video projectors to finish up my home theater.

I am hoping to draw on the collective wisdom here to find out what the best projectors are for between 3 to 5 thousand dollars.

Also is the New Sony 11 that much better than the 10?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
less than 3K=NEC LT150 or clone, Piano, NEC LT154, NEC VT540K, many XGA LCDs, lots of SVGA DLPs.

less than 5K=Sony W10HT, Sanyo PLV60 and clones, Toshiba MT7, Infocus LP530, above machines + anamorphic lens :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huey,

Do you have a favorite in those categories?

Also what are you running?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Do you have much room ??

In the classifieds at the moment is an Ampro Alice 5200 for 2k lumens etc etc

I wish I had room for a 36x24x12 inch monster in my apartment..

Not what you would call easy to live with but from what I read nearly reference quality

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
Do you have much room ??

In the classifieds at the moment is an Ampro Alice 5200 for 2k lumens etc etc

I wish I had room for a 36x24x12 inch monster in my apartment..

Not what you would call easy to live with but from what I read nearly reference quality
Don't see it, that would be a great price.

You should get it anyhow Phat, its worth it. It even comes with a computer built-in.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Caveat: I hate dead pixels so LCD is not my favorite although it probably has the best colors. I also am not prone to rainbows so DLP is OK with me. I am a blackoholic so DLP is best for me.

For the less than 3K range, I'd pick LT150 as I have one :)

For the 3-5K range, I'd pick the LP530.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
-- I am very happy with my LP530 when compared to my video grade pj - particularly since I have NO light control.

-- NTSC via DScaler is quite watchable, DVDs are wonderful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike,

I researched for months and decided with the following decision process:

1. I wanted the best possible picture for a reasonable price and with as few depreciable components as possible. I looked at DVD players, scalers, projectors, etc. for the _entire_ system.

2. I'm good with fiddling with computers and don't mind the effort. I quickly found that a progressive DVD player and scaler/deinterlacer would cost much more than a home-built HTPC with dScaler and a video capture card. Plus, I wanted a small flat-panel on the coffee table to check email, etc. I decided HTPC was the way to go.

3. While constructing the HTPC, I looked at projectors. CRT was out (behind the technology curve). DLP and LCD were best for price/performance in the sub $6000 range. I looked at the Sony 10HT at a local place and wasn't very impressed with the soft image. I looked at a DLP at the same place and the rainbows slightly annoyed me on bright scenes. LCD was looking good, but either was a possibility.

4. I borrowed a DLP (???) and LCD (NEC VT540) projector from a friend who runs the NCSA CAVE at the University of Illinois. They have a wall of 40 VT540's projecting a very hi-res image from Linux boxes. Running the DLP through Windows, I quickly noticed rainbows everywhere. On data projection of windows and such, rainbows are more evident. I knew this was to be run from a HTPC, so DLP was out.

5. I concentrated on LCD projectors and found the NEC VT540, Sanyo PLV-60HT, Sanyo PLC-XP21N and Sanyo PLC-XP18N to be best runners from popular opinion. I hadn't decided on 4:3 or 16:9 format yet.

6. I decided on 4:3 so I started to look at the XP18N and XP21N and tried to get some demos to check out the relationship. I was leaning towards the XP21N when I strolled through Best Buy and Circuit City and came to the realization that tons of the new TVs are 16:9 and HDTV compatible. It's gonna happen sooner or later, so I immediately changed my decision to 16:9.

7. I found that the Studio Experience Cinema 13HD and Sanyo PLV-60HT were nearly identical, but that they had reputed firmware differences. Looking into this, I decided that it probably was a non-issue now since Sanyo has likely incorporated any changes into the PLV-60HT. I wanted to see one, but couldn't set anything up in IL, so I decided to order from Studio Experience. They gave me 30 day full-refund and 60 day upgrade protection, so I figured that would be good enough.

I've had the Cinema 13 HD for almost three weeks now. My only gripe is some ghosting on the RGBHV input which I have yet to resolve. Aside from that, the projector is not going back.

I feel confident in my decision to go 16:9 LCD. Good luck to you. It's a long road, but if I'm investing in something that costs $5000 and will depreciate faster than a bag full of Athlon processors, I'm going to put some thought into it.

Cheers,

Jake

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Originally posted by janovetz

4. I borrowed a DLP (???) and LCD (NEC VT540) projector from a friend who runs the NCSA CAVE at the University of Illinois. They have a wall of 40 VT540's projecting a very hi-res image from Linux boxes. Running the DLP through Windows, I quickly noticed rainbows everywhere. On data projection of windows and such, rainbows are more evident. I knew this was to be run from a HTPC, so DLP was out.

Jake, I would like to know more about the 40 VT540s at the Unv. of Ill. Are they using them for Virtual Reality or what. If so, how do I contact them?

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
509 Posts
I recently bought an Infocus LP530, and am very, very happy with it. Projectors I considered are too numerous to mention. Other projectors I actually checked out were: Sony 10HT; Sanyo 18, 21, 60; Infocus LP530; Runco VX1 (?); DWIN Transvision.

I ultimately got the 530 because I:

- can't stand LCD screendoor

- wanted to spend $4-5K

- want high brightness (>1500 lumen)

- want good color saturation

- am willing to spend time tweaking

- can tolerate rainbows

- want good contrast, but not at all cost

The 530 represented the best balance of my criteria at the time I made my purchase.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bob,

Paul Rajlich ([email protected]) is part of that project. They have 40 VT540's (did a lot of research and comparisons and decided that the VT540 was the most uniform and easiest to panel -- DLPs have some light leak near the edges that caused problems) connected to 40 linux boxes on a 1 Gbps mirror net. They display one huge image (10240x3072, I believe). The Linux boxes coordinate to display video, stills, etc. They can even play Quake across the entire wall. The projectors are mounted in a custom built structure with mirrors to adjust the alignment onto a Stewart rear-projection screen.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
148 Posts
My choice -

Studio Experience Cinema 13HD or Sanyo PLV60HT +

Stewart with Grayhawk material +

Progressive Scan DVD player (decent $400+) +

HD Receiver

Studio Experience Cinema 13HD or Sanyo PLV60HT
Stewart with Grayhawk material ~ $1500

Progressive Scan DVD player ~$400 to $2K

HD Receiver ~ $500 to $2000 with 18x24 antenna included

My total: about $ 8000

·
Registered
148 Posts
One more thing, yes, the 11 is better than the 10. I've seen both in action and then saw the Cinema 13HD - sources seen on all these models were DVD PS and HD DirecTv and OTA programming. In my opinion, the SE Cinema/Sanyo PLV60HT is a better projector than the Sony 11. The price is much lower too on the Cinema 13HD as compared to the 11 (>$6K) but about the same with the 10. If these were all priced the same, I'd still go with the Cinema 13HD in the end. Some people go with the Sony name due to brand affinity.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want everyone to know how much I appreciate your input here. I really did not know where to start, and I am going to take the models that were mentioned here and start finding out more about them.

If anybody else has any input, I'd be happy to hear about it too.

What I am really looking for is hassle free viewing. I have heard about stuck pixels on the Sony's and so I am thinking twice about buying one of those.

I am also wondering about the new chip out from TI - are those projectors more trouble free?

Also, one of the features I liked about the Sony projector was its ability to take HDTV, S-Video and progressive inputs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mike:

I have the Boxlight clone of the Sanyo XP21N. I love it! No dead pixels and if there were, Boxlight would fix for 3 long years. Incredible brightness gives the picture a 3 dimensional feel. I watch both 4:3 and all other aspect ratios and sit 2 x screen width back--pixels not an issue! The color is fantastic and the projector is a snap to operate.

I'm still hoping to get a Panamorph so I can optimize 16:9 and have a projector that is even more flexible. I'm using the Stewart Grayhawk screen and that does great things to contrast and black level.

I concur with the recommendation of the Cinema 13HT in the $5K price range. These Sanyos are hard to beat for the money.

Dan

·
Registered
728 Posts
Great info Jake. Wow - UI sounds like if has one HELL of a set-up. Play the IMAX whales or Dolphins and you are THERE I bet...1

One can assume you have it all budgeted Mike, but keep in mind all the other goodies that make up your HT - dolby receiver/amps, speakers, cables, DVD player, scaler, ext. interlacer, mounts, screen etc.

I wanted a solid "starter" system for ~$4000 that would keep me happy for a long time, and I found it (fingers crossed for reliability) HTPC is still an option, but for now this is what I've got:

$2200 on a Sanyo XW-10 XGA, LCD 800 lums pj. Could stand a little brighter, but it doesn't take much drape drawing to be fine. No dead pixels, excellent color, very decent scaling, (compared to other pjs observed: Proxima 1300 lum LCD, Sanyo XP21), quiet, zoomable. comp/VGA inputs. www.avp-inc.com Mike Goebel is happy to work a deal.

$400 for a ($1500 new) 2 yr old Yamaha RXv-2092 receiver off Ebay, Klipsh cnt $80, Infinity rear $100, sub woofer $100 uBid (slow shipping) looking at DVDO or Quadscan for re-interlacing cable/interlaced DVD (decent non-prog player incl in pj price, borrowing a Panny RP56 and it is NICE), Acoustic research cables.

When the V4 DVDO comes out the V3s should drop in price (component in and improved chip over V1, V2).

If you've got $4000 to spend on pj alone, your will mainly be able to get >1300 lumens, maybe MLA (not an expert but hear good things), digital in, great stuff...

Good luck - let us know what you do!

Kurt

Trenton, NJ

mail is slower than usual - but I can wait

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.