AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my Mitsu 65807 and am anxiously awaiting my date on Chuck William's New England tour for calibration. In the meantime, I have found (this being my first 16:9 TV) that watching 4:3 NTSC television is terribly annoying. No matter which format I choose (zoom, expand, standard, etc.) the stretching and distortion of the picture, or the portions being cut off in expand mode, are unnacceptable - even to my wife - and I have resorted to watching TV on my old but trusty Mitsu 35" direct view TV upstairs. Watching in narrow mode is perfect of course, but I am paranoid about burn.

So, am I correct that I should basically never be watching a narrow 4:3 image with grey bars on the side or am I being overly paranoid? And if so, which viewing format have people out there found to be most acceptable? I'm feeling very discouraged that come this Sunday, I will not be able to enjoy football on my new 65" screen!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I watch mine in standard mode (full). You have to get used to it. It will take some time. It will all come down to personal preferance.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have a Mits 46805, almost two years old. I've been careful to follow the advice found here and at other home theater forums. Basically, the strategy is to mix your viewing throughout the week, never leaving an unfilled screen up for too long. The concensus is that grey bars are less harmful than black. When watching 4:3 material, I often use the POP format that has one large image on the left (the same size as a regular 4:3 image) and 3 smaller images on the right, thus filling the screen. I made a dropdown mask using black felt and velcro that can cover the 3 smaller screens when necessary. My Mits has had two years (next month) of pretty heavy use, and no burn-in can be seen!

Read the bottom of the warranty information page, found at http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/warranty.htm on the Mitsubishi web site, which bears this out.

Mary

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use exclusively the "stretched" mode for 4:3 material. At least to me, the effect is minimal. The only time it really becomes noticeable is on rapid pans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the POP feature on my Mits. It puts the 4x3 picture on the left side of the screen and column of 3 smaller channels on the right side of the screen. I have the input set to antenna A. The POP screens continually cycle thru all the channels on antenna A so you are channel surfing on the right and and you don't have to worry about burnin.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You should give the variable strech mode a try. It leaves the center pretty much untouched and streches the sides more and more th closer you get to the edge. It does take a little getting used to but it is really not very noticable after a few days. My wife will not even watch stuff in 4:3 anymore. The only 4:3 programming we consistently watch in standard (non-variable strech) is sporting events that have a lot of panning since you can get a fishbowl effect in the variable mode.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Stretched seems a bit odd. Take a newscast, for example. A newscasters right shoulder looks grossly distorted compared to the left. The Expand mode gets a lot of use by me. Losing the top/bottom a bit is no big deal since the bottom has, oftentimes, a fixed see-through logo of the channel you're currently watching.

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.