AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read over many of the archives in the forum to determine how best to buy my Dish system. I have a HD ready TV and got a receiver (thought I can't figure out what model) from a friend who upgraded.

It looks like I can go to Sears and get the 6023 for an online matched price and the 8VSB for $99. It looks like I can go online and get a 4900 with dish that will qualify for the Free Now promotion, get a $199 rebate and get the unit installed for about $150. I can pay the installer extra to install the other dish for the 61.5 bird.

I have 3 TV's (only one HD) so I know that I will need the SW64 in order to handle the feeds.

Am I missing anything? This gets a little overwhelming at times.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you want to watch different channels on those 3 different tv's, you'll need separate receivers for each tv. Since they're not HD, you won't need a 6000 receiver for each one.

Sounds like you got everything you need there otherwise. What was the online match, if I may ask? I bought my complete system (6000 receiver, 8vsb tuner, Dish 500) for under $350 at dishdepot.com, plus the rebate. I installed myself, so that was my total investment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just recieved my 6000reciever+dish 500+second dish combo for 250.00 and added the 8vsb tuner for 90.00 more from dbs-sales.com

Trying to find a good deal was almost like trying to find the best airfares to someplace :) and I'm still not certain if this was the best one.

SP

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From some of the other postings, I found that Sears will match online merchants. The benefit is that they there are no committments for programming from them since they are simply selling the equipment.

I know that the prices are all over the map for the same equipment. I think that finding the meaning of life would be easier. Dbs-sales.com does have the best prices out there from what I can tell.

Thanks for the input.

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, on another note. How easy is it to install the dishes? I was looking at my roof since it offers the best southern exposure but it is 2 stories.

Bill

·
Registered
695 Posts
Bill:

You don't have to mount the dish up high like you do with a television antenna. I see people who have mounted their dishes on the very tops of their roofs. The problem is, if those dishes ever need re-aligned or fixed or whatever, getting to them is going to be a real hassle.

For a satellite dish, you only need line-of-site to the satellite(s). Higher isn't going to give you any real increase in signal strength. In fact, some people have mounted their dishes on the railings of their decks and still get signal strengths in the 100's or higher.

I put mine up myself, mounted to the side of my chimney housing about 15' up. Easy to get to with a ladder, and inconspicuous from the front of the house.

Find the most convenient spot that gets you a direct view of the southwestern sky and go with that. You don't have to put it up high, and personally, I'd avoid that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another question about Dish: why does an HDTV devotee need the 61.5 satellite? Hasn't all of the HDTV content moved to the 119 satellite?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Who told you that? All Dish HDTV programming originates on 61.5 and is now mirrored (minus the demo loop) on 148.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
No. All of the HD content for East Coasters is on the 61.5 satellite. Dish says they'll move it over in the future, but for right now, you need the second dish.

I used to have Direct TV, so I just used my old 18" round dish, swung it over to the new position, and I'm set. You should be able to pick up an 18" round dish for around $50, not a major expense.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I bought my Dish 6023 off the net and installed it myself. If you are handy at all, you can do it. It is *much* easier than setting up and maintaining a good terrestrial digital television antenna (and pre-amp, and mast, and stays, and rotator, etc.)

Internet places to pick Dish equipment up for cheap include: www.dishusa.com www.dishdepot.com www.satelliteone.com

Buy the 8VSB module from Sears since no one seems to beat their $99 price.

Regarding placement, I recommend you survey your site before selecting a location. Determine the direction of the satellites you need to get and find a location where you can point them all. I have my dishes mounted on the eve of my roof because it is easy to get on my roof and I can sit up there when adjusting the equipment (I even lugged a 36" TV up onto my roof during installation but that is another story.). It also was the best place to clear the trees for the satellites low on the horizon.

The only think I regret was taking the dish $199 rebate because don't watch 90% of the channels. I should have just paid the upfront equipment costs and only subscribed to what I am interested in . . . just the HBO and showtime movie channels. I get everything else I need locally. (OK, I would miss Comedy central.)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker:
I used to have Direct TV, so I just used my old 18" round dish, swung it over to the new position, and I'm set. You should be able to pick up an 18" round dish for around $50, not a major expense.
Check Ebay, dish with lnb going for as low as $20.

------------------

I Want My sports In HDTV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the best way to determine if I have a clear shot of the birds? The south side of my house butts up to another house so I need to use my roof or potentially the railing of a deck but then I would have 2 dishes on the railing. I could put it on the chimney but that is on the north side and makes for a long cable run.

Also, I got a box from a friend since he upgraded and did not need it. How do I make sure that I can use it with the third TV? Just let Dish know and tell them the card # in it?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillK:
Also, I got a box from a friend since he upgraded and did not need it. How do I make sure that I can use it with the third TV? Just let Dish know and tell them the card # in it?

Thanks

Bill
Yes

------------------

I Want My sports In HDTV

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillK:
What is the best way to determine if I have a clear shot of the birds? The south side of my house butts up to another house so I need to use my roof or potentially the railing of a deck but then I would have 2 dishes on the railing. I could put it on the chimney but that is on the north side and makes for a long cable run.
Go to this site: http://www.dbsdish.com/Support/Point.htm

and then get out a compass and see if you can get Echostar 1&2 (at 119) and 3 (at 61.5) or 4(at 148). Watch that elevation value . . . if it is small angle, you may have problems with trees, buildings, etc.

You might have to put the two dishes in different locations if you can't find a single location that has line-of-sight to all the satellites you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That dbs-sales.com price looks really enticing. They have a combo that includes the 6000 plus a 2800 receiver, two dishes and hardware for $298. Add the 8VSB for $90 and I think I'm set. I would prefer to use a low elevation mounting of the dishes so that they are unobtrusive. My question is if there is anyway short of purchasing the dishes and bringing them home to determine if I have a direct view of the satellites. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped with their comments.

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.