AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to clean your popcorn machines?

I screwed up and left the top up TWICE... In a row!!! The entire inside of my popcorn maker is coated with oil.

What cleaner does everyone use? Wiping it down was working fine until this stupidity happened. i don't want the doors or sides get blurry or scratched.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I take mine COMPLETELY apart. I remove everything that is removeable. Unplug the unit. Vacuum out with shop vac, then, I wash the inside of the cabinet with mild liquid dishwash saop and hot water on a handtowel rag. My machine is stainless steel/aluminum/glass construction, so, all is well with mild (non-abrasive) detergent. Then a good damp cloth rinse. All the aluminum and stainless steel parts (except the kettle) are washing in the sink with same soap. Towel dry. The kettle gets carefull cleaning without imersing the unit in water. Reassemble and hit the glass with Windex on the outside. The doors are plexiglass, so NO windex on them. Just soap and water. Still looks new three years later.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It depends on how dirty mine gets. Most of the time I get very hot water (out of my Instant hot dispenser) and wipe down everything. I use a lot of paper towels here! I take out my kettle for ease of cleaning. If I need to go the extra mile, I use a drop of mild dish soap in the water. If the kettle is extra gross, I use Heet N Kleen. It is specially formulated for popcorn machines.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yea, I pretty much only use hot water. I only use coconut oil and it has a very low melting point. So even warm water on a towel will loosen it up and wipe right up.

On the kettle I take to the sink and use the spray nozzle to "hose it off" all over. IMHO this really is a must as just wiping you can miss areas. I then towel dry and let air out good before putting back in the popper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I clean with warm water & towel.

I had some carbon build up in the kettle and removed it easily by putting a 1/2 cup of soda water in it and turning the kettle on for about 15 minutes, then letting kettle cool and wiped it down, all the carbon just wiped right out, most had already peeled loose

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I clean my kettle with some carbon-off available at most popcorn supply places. the inside of my machine is done with warm water, no soap.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you are having a real problem, put an electric kettle in the bottom of the unit and boil water for about 1 minute. The steam will "loosen" all the build up and a simple wipe out with paper towel will work great.

This is a great way to clean the inside of a microwave oven as well. Just put a mug of water and heat to a boil. The steam will do the same thing.

Jay

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good tips on the hot water clean. i have cleaned our microwave like that for years. In my machine instructions it says to wipe the kettle out after using it. I do this and just try not to get burned in the process!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I use a spray stuff that I bought with the machine it is basically windex on the glass and steel portions and paper towel with hot water on the kettle.

I bought a small shop vac just for vacuuming out old popcorn.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
^^^

Now THAT'S funny (in a sicko way
)

·
Registered
711 Posts
The instructions for my Paragon Contempo say not to use water on the kettle to clean it. How should I clean it? So far I've just been wiping it down with paper towels, but not sure if this is the best way.

Thanks,

Guy

·
Banned
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kennedy /forum/post/12999367

What do you guys use to clean your popcorn machines?

I screwed up and left the top up TWICE... In a row!!! The entire inside of my popcorn maker is coated with oil.

What cleaner does everyone use? Wiping it down was working fine until this stupidity happened. i don't want the doors or sides get blurry or scratched.

I use a product called "Glass Control" by OdoBan. I get a spray bottle of it at Home Depot for a couple bucks. You can use this product on "every component" on a popper (i.e. tinted glass, stainless steel, plexiglass doors, etc.)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used some Glaze Pop and I think it's what burned on the inside bottom of the kettle. Is this "seasoning" and I should just leave it, or should I use something like Heat N Klean, or Carbon Off to remove it?

BTW: I have the Paragon Theater Pop 6 oz. machine.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Heat N' Kleen is good. Glaze pop is just sugar. so, you have a sugar burn. I jut use hot water on my Paragon kettle. I don't worry about blemishes,

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Very hot water to dampen a microfiber cloth works well for me on the inside of the machine. I take the kettle out and wash it in the sink, just don't submerse it or you will ruin the heating coils. I only use coconut oil, and that seems to clean up easily from the kettle with just hot water and a small drop of soap.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts