AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Run together how? Each pushing separate speakers? Y-cables to the inputs is fine. Both pushing the same speaker? Unless you bi-amp (and I will not go into the debates on that) you could save time and just go throw them directly into a lake.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Usually you can get away with splitting the source with a y cable or similar. If it sounds bad this way you may need to use a line driver to handle the fanout. Line drivers are designed for impedance matching purposes like this.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

What amps?

How many speakers?

If you only desire stereo and if your amps are "bridgable", bridge the amp and run one amp to one speaker and do the same with the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I do not want them to both push the same speaker.

2 amps, 4 speakers total. Stereo setup. I am going to try splitting the source, and if it doesn't sounds good, I will attempt to bridge them.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicski /forum/post/17039865

2 amps, 4 speakers total. Stereo setup. I am going to try splitting the source, and if it doesn't sounds good, I will attempt to bridge them.

you can easily split the signal without any SQ loss, its done all the time in active setups. No reason a simple RCA Y-cable isnt 100% okay.

The bigger question here would be why 4 speakers?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do this kind of thing in my home setup and it works fine. A simple single RCA to dual RCA splitter works fine coming out of a receiver's pre-outs. I only use a single splitter now, but at one time I used a splitter and then had 2 splitters off of that. Now I have different amps that I can set to "parallel" input and so I only needed to split the signal once to go into 2 amps, my old amps only had bridge and stereo so I had to split the output into 4 separate signals to go to each channel.

It baffles me why receivers only have a single sub out...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 /forum/post/17040521

It baffles me why receivers only have a single sub out...

maybe because for the extremely small percentage of people who actually use multiple subs, a y-cable accomplishes what a second sub out would...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i wouldn't disagree with that dennis...

however, that doesn't change the original statement...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicski /forum/post/17039865

I'm not sure bridging gets you where you want to go, unless you are talking about something different from typical amp bridging (turning two channels into one more powerful one).

Chances are good you'll sound just fine with a Y cable.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
One possible problem that I can think of. If you turn one of the amplifiers off, it's input circuit can do nasty things to the input signal to the other amplifier. Remember when tape recorders would to that nasty thing to your pre-amps main output? Then they added buffer circuits to the pre-amps tape out.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
my answer is "it depends" on what amps you are using and what preamp.

What preamp, pre processor or receiver are you using?

What amps are you using?

Some preamps have multiple outputs, dual RCA, RCA and XLR. If this is the case then you can attach each amp to each output.

Some power amps provide the line level inputs and outputs so they can be daisy chained. Another option.

Otherwise, the Y splitter is a simple solution if you amplication does not have the features I mention.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Quite simple really....

Use the "Y" cables. If that doesn't work, then worry about plan B.

Odds are you'll be just fine with the "Y"s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.