AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few months I plan to buy an HDTV ( probably the Samsung HLN467W ), so since I already have TWC Digital, I will swap out the box and get the SA3100HD. My question concerns 'correct' hookup of all the

cables. I will only have a DVD player and a VCR ( no HT ).

I 'think' the following is correct.

1. From the SA3100HD to the TV will be component video cables.

2. From the DVD player to the TV will be component video cables.

3. From the SA3100HD box to the TV will be S-Video.

Here is where I get confused. How should the audio out from the SA3100HD be connected to the TV and VCR ? Please be as detailed

as you can. I will for sure have follow up questions.

Thanks in advance.

Dick

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Badboy,

I was connecting the S video from the cable box to the TV, because I have read that if you watch non HDTV programming via the comp. video outputs, you can't use the stretch modes on your TV, so you have to watch SD programming via the S video ( is that true ) ? Thanks for the audio answer ( I didn't know that )

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I have a Sony 65xbr2 with 2 Firewire ports. Anyone have any experiences connecting this box via Firewire, as I see on the SA website the box actually has a Firewire connections?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are correct about the S-Video for the non-HD stuff. Works much better for me. The Audio is tricky. You can of course use RCA cables with Y connectors, since the 3100HD has only one set of RCA outputs.

Or better yet You can use the digital (coax) audio out for the digital channels for digital sound and 5.1 when broadcast.

I have the RCA's with the Y adapters going to the TV, and the digital audio out going to my HT reciever. I have to use an adapter for that too since my HT reciever has only optical audio in, not coax. The adapter can be had at various sources for about 25-30 $.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I didn't mention a VCR since I don't use one with this TV.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dick,

Hopefully in a few months, when you are ready to buy a HDTV, the 3100HD will be replaced with the 3250HD. A lot of the problems involving the connection can then be resolved. For now, the 3100HD has a lot of limitations.

1. HD channels can only be seen through component outputs. That says the box cannot down converts the HD signals to 480i to any of the non-component outputs, i.e. S video and composite. As a result, you cannot watch any HD channels through S video or composite. You cannot tape any HD programs even in 480i using your S-VHS or VHS VCRs.

2. The box only has one set of coaxial output and one set of analog output. You can connect the coaxial output to your receiver. It supports dolby digital surround sound. If you need to connect your analog output to multiple locations, i.e. TV, receiver or VCR, you can use some sort of splitter. I use a Radio Shack power splitter. For taping in super VHS or causual listening without turning on the receiver, it is good enough.

Connecting the S video to the TV is too much trouble, because you get a blank screen when you tune to a HD channel. You then have to change the TV input again. For the DLP TV you are planning on buying, there is no burn in concern. There is no need to maintain a full screen all the time. Don't waste the advantage of a DLP TV.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor C
You cannot tape any HD programs even in 480i using your S-VHS or VHS VCRs
I suppose, then, that I won't be able to record any HD programs with my Panasonic DMR-E30. Is this correct?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor C
Connecting the S video to the TV is too much trouble, because you get a blank screen when you tune to a HD channel. You then have to change the TV input again. For the DLP TV you are planning on buying, there is no burn in concern. There is no need to maintain a full screen all the time. Don't waste the advantage of a DLP TV.
On my Sony GWII, there's a night and day difference between the SD video output from the 3100HD using the S-Video connector vs the Component cables. The scaler/line doubler on the SA3100HD is to blame, you're much better off having your TV do the scaling on SD material.

I'm not concerned with burn-in since the GWII doesn't have that issue, it's all picture quality that I'm concerned with. Switching between Video 6 and Video 3 is real easy if you have the Sony Discrete codes programmed (even $12 OFA/UEI remotes you can buy at Walmart have them). Since we only have 3 HDTV channels offered by Charter in my area, most of the time I'm using S-Video in normal, non-stretched mode for SD material.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
This may not be the HT norm, but if you connect the RF out to the VCR, you would not need separate A/V lines for it. The 3100 has a "bypass" button on the remote that lets the analog cable channels pass through for normal VCR timer recording. It has been noted that the analog channels look poor through this box, and if your VCR has a decent tuner, those channels may look better from that.

With that setup, you would have to switch the bypass off if you wanted to record a non HD digital channel, but everything else should be ok.

vegggas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.