AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a subwoofer into my stereo system to extend the base where my Canton Karat L 100 speakers fall off. This system will be purely for stereo music listening.

I am planning on purchasing a Marantz PM7200 integrated amplifier and want to know my connection options. Are to prosessor outputs on the PM7200 volume controlled so they can feed the subwoofer and control the subs volume along with the Karat speakers?

Would it be better to hook the sub to the high (speaker) level outputs on the PM7200 in parallel with the Canton Karats (stacked banana plugs going to sub and speakers) or would it be better to connect the sub to the high (speaker) level outputs on the PM7200 and then connect the Cantons to the high (speaker) level outputs on the subwoofer thus utilizing the subwoofers built in crossover?

I want to know the best connection alternatives since this will affect my purchase (some subs don't have high (speaker level) outputs, some don't even have high level inputs.

Thanks for helping a confused newbie. I've read all the posts concerning subwoofer connection to stereo systems and am still in the dark.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Without a link to the either unit or an owner’s manual, all I can do here is “best guess.â€
Quote:
Are to prosessor outputs on the PM7200 volume controlled...
Typically processor connections are a loop, just like a tape monitor loop. If that’s the case here, then no they are not volume controlled.

Basically the Marantz needs a set of pre-out jacks to connect to the sub’s line level inputs. If not, then speaker level is your only option. In that case you would want a sub with speaker-level inputs and outputs, to limit the lows to the main speakers. However, you could experiment running the mains full-range by stacking the bananas, like you mentioned.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.