AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the linksys or dlink game adapters work with my 5040 ? Dlink makes a product that connects to wireless g or n. Do the game adapters work for wireless just the same ?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The best way to connect is wired - I've never seen a setup that couldn't be hard-wired back to the router. When you grow into DVArchvie, IVSmagic, WiRNS, and Poopli you will be much better off with everything on a true wired connection. If you have to go wireless, search the forum for information on the Buffalo stuff.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
An ethernet cable?

Sorry, could not resist.

You can connect WIRELESSLY using a bridge, like the linksys or dlink - but you won't be very happy streaming.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Game Adapters are usually just a marketing term for "Wireless Bridge"

They are either B or G and you should be able to hook any device into it (via an ethernet cable), not just video game consoles and communicate to your wireless router or access point just fine.

I used to have a wireless-b bridge connected to my 2nd RTV and it would not stream video at all. Now I have it connected to a wireless-g router/bridge and it can stream video between my other RTV (connected directly to the main router) with no problems.

Now you might not get the same throughput performance out of a "Game Adapter", dunno haven't played around with them very much, they work for gaming which usually doesn't need a lot of bandwidth. (Of course getting guide updates over the internet should be no problem at all)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I used to use a Linksys wireless-B game adapter. It was fine for downloading guide updates, but lousy for downloading to DVArchive. A few months ago I got a wireless-G router, and replaced the game adapter with a Buffalo wireless-G converter, and it works much better. Also, the Linksys required a special application to configure it, which only runs on Windows (I have a Mac), while the Buffalo has web-based configuration.

·
Registered
428 Posts
1. Ethernet cable (I use this for my RTV interconnects)

2. Buffalo wireless-g routers using WDS bridging (I use this to connect to my DVA server).

3. Other wireless options (I tried a couple of bridges and converters without any luck before I settled on the Buffalos).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Theoretically WDS is much slower (up to 50%?) than using a wireless bridge.

I've never used Buffalo products, they seem to be popular in the RTV forums. I'm on board with the alternative.. Linksys. I've set up two home systems that use 2 54G wireless routers (one of them gets a third-party firmware upgrade to work as a wireless bridge with 4 ports)

·
Registered
428 Posts
HOLD ON, HifiJoe. DO NOT use the Buffalo Ethernet Converter. It will NOT WORK. I went thru 2 months of troubleshooting with Buffalo techs before they gave me the right answer. It MUST be either a bridge or a router with WDS.

If you really want the converter, I still have mine which I can sell you at a good discount!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Are you referring to the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP Ethernet to Wireless converter? You can't be, as I have been using one with my replay for months now, and it works flawlessly. In fact, I have my replay, and network printer, as well as a laptop plugged into it, and all work flawlessly with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFussy /forum/post/0

HOLD ON, HifiJoe. DO NOT use the Buffalo Ethernet Converter. It will NOT WORK. I went thru 2 months of troubleshooting with Buffalo techs before they gave me the right answer. It MUST be either a bridge or a router with WDS.

If you really want the converter, I still have mine which I can sell you at a good discount!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes that is the device I'm talking about.

You're partially correct. If everything is connected on the switch side, it does work flawlessly.

However if the replays are on the switch side and try to talk to a remote DVA or RTV wirelessly, it WILL NOT WORK to stream shows. It WILL work to provide mothership connection wirelessly. This is partially what was so confusing during the troubleshooting period.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't have another replay, but I do use DVA. It's running on a computer connected directly to my wireless router. And I am able to wirelessly stream to my replay with no problems. Is it possible the firmware for the WLI-TX4-G54HP was updated after you stopped using it?

Quote:

Yes that is the device I'm talking about.

You're partially correct. If everything is connected on the switch side, it does work flawlessly.

However if the replays are on the switch side and try to talk to a remote DVA or RTV wirelessly, it WILL NOT WORK to stream shows. It WILL work to provide mothership connection wirelessly. This is partially what was so confusing during the troubleshooting period.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II /forum/post/0

I don't have another replay, but I do use DVA. It's running on a computer connected directly to my wireless router. And I am able to wirelessly stream to my replay with no problems. Is it possible the firmware for the WLI-TX4-G54HP was updated after you stopped using it?

Anything's possible, but it wasn't that long ago that I got it, maybe 6 months. My bigget problem was that when initially conncected, everything would connect, but would frop after just a few minutes. DVA would continue to see everything, but the RTVs could not see DVA (if I remember correctly) after that. I could download, but not stream back. From what they told me this was not a fixable problem, one that was endemic to the device design and how it handled MAC addresses. There is a long thread with complete descriptions and diagrams on the DVA forum.

What I think this goes to show is YMMV. So I'd still go with a bridged router.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wireless router is d-links WBR-1310. Looking for the best connection for my replay to talk to this router. Just getting ready to pull the trigger on the Buffalo.

Will i be okay with it ?? Better suggestion ??

·
Registered
428 Posts
General concensus is that you'll be more likely to be successful if you stick with devices from the same manufacturer. I believe there are dlink's that support WDS bridging, but I've only tried Buffalo (in an all buffalo environment).

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:

Anything's possible, but it wasn't that long ago that I got it, maybe 6 months. My bigget problem was that when initially conncected, everything would connect, but would frop after just a few minutes. DVA would continue to see everything, but the RTVs could not see DVA (if I remember correctly) after that. I could download, but not stream back. From what they told me this was not a fixable problem, one that was endemic to the device design and how it handled MAC addresses. There is a long thread with complete descriptions and diagrams on the DVA forum.

What I think this goes to show is YMMV. So I'd still go with a bridged router.

I have a Buffalo router (125HSM) and the Ethernet converter (also 125HSM). One RTV is downstairs on the converter. The other RTV, one computer running DVA, and one computer running Wirns are on the router upstairs. They all saw each other fine. I also streamed a show from the upstairs RTV to my downstairs one. I was also able to transfer some shows to my computer running DVA.

I think the key was using their AOSS button. It made the setup very simple. Much easier than when I had a Linksys router and Motorola AP/bridge. I have no idea what my transfer speeds are, however. Are there any tools that will let me know my network speed (wireless or wired)? I'm still quite a networking newbie.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
DVArchive will tell you how fast shows are downloading from the Replay to your PC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HI,

I have been using Buffalo Router/AP WHR-HP-G54 with dd-wrt SP23 v.2 (09/15/06) std. I am extremely satisfied with its blazing performance. This router is in the bedroom connected to DSL Broadband modem.

I have bought another Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 to have my 2 ReplayTV in the living room hooked up to the network. I've been surfing dd-wrt forum trying to figure out which mode best to configure this 2nd Buffalo. I am planning to load dd-wrt SP23 v.2 to this 2nd Buffalo also. Should I set the 2nd one as client router in WDS with the 1st host router or set the 2nd one in Client Bridge mode.

I am planning to connect both ReplayTV in the living room to the 2nd Buffalo using ethernet cable.

I would like to stream videos between the 2 ReplayTV, do remote record scheduling using PC or laptop connected wirelessly to the 1st Buffalo (router/AP). I hear that WDS will cut the bandwidth in half?

Thanks.

-Indra

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.