AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the best way to keep my soffit level. My theater is on the 2nd floor and my floor is very uneven, so measuring up from the floor will not give me a level line around the room. My ceiling is vaulted, so I can't really measure down from the ceiling. Has anyone seen/used a cheap laser level that projects a line around the room? I have a Black & Decker one that is used for hanging pictures, but it doesn't project a line onto all 4 walls at the same time.

Would the alternative be to start in the highest corner of the room and stay level from there?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Look around at Home Depot or Lowes... they sell them for ~ $100 if you look around. I really prefer the type that are self leveling... I think B&D sells one if you can find it. At this price point they are mostly plastic (even the built in tripod) and they are not super accurate like the expensive ones but they are accurate enough for hanging a ceiling or soffit.

You could also just rent one for 4 hours which should be enought time to mark lines around your room.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ditto. I rented a rotating, self leveling laser level from HD. Set-up it up in the middle of the HT and shot a reference line around the entire room. I then went around and marked the walls every 3-5 feet where the line fell.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ditto. Ditto. Just remember that a level reference line around the room doesn't need to be at the height of the soffit. Once you have a line around the room that is level you can use it for lots of things like setting the height of your outlets or switches, etc.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. I need to head to HD later for some OSB and will see what they have. I looked at Lowes last night for off the shelf stuff but didn't find anything. A rental is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk /forum/post/18128768

Ditto. Ditto. Just remember that a level reference line around the room doesn't need to be at the height of the soffit. Once you have a line around the room that is level you can use it for lots of things like setting the height of your outlets or switches, etc.

Best of luck.

Exactly. With a truly level line, it makes an easy reference point for anything else in the room!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.