AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Harmony 880 from Best Buy as a trial to see if it will work for me in my home theater when I get all my equipment. It seems like a great remote... but I'm not too sure about the IR blasting ability.

I'm going to have my Yamaha LPX-510 projector above and behind me and my equipment rack behind me and to the right, in a cabinet in the wall (see my gallery for pics).

Will I need to point the Harmony directly at these devices (including the proj) in order for the IR signal to make it to them? Do I need to run an IR receiver to the front of the room and hook it up to the equipment/proj in order to point the remote at the screen wall and have it work with everything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The projector (and possibly the other components) should work with the IR bounced off the screen. Another possibility (if that doesn't work) is to get something like a Hot Link Pro, which definitely will work with signals reflected off the screen.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I actually returned my 880, partly because of IR strength. I have equipment underneath the screen and a projector on the ceiling. When I aim at the screen, the projector works, but occasionally one of the AV components won't. If I aim at the components, the projector will occasionally fail... So the IR strength may in fact be a potential achilles heel of the 880, but you'll have to test it with your particular circumstances to find out if it is for you.

My other reasons for returning it are the flakey charging problem a lot of people have experienced. Minor gripes are the button material and layout and the cheapo LCD display.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had no charging problems thus far, but I've only had it for 3 days. ;) The IR strength is plenty for me sitting about 11 feet away from my components in my family room. Of course, it will need to be twice as strong in order to bounce of the screen and back to the components behind me in the home theater. I may plug something in up there just to try it out. I've got 30 days to try it!

That Hot Link Pro sounds like it's exactly what I'll use if I need something to extend/amplify my IR signals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
...so I'm glad somebody already posted this question. But I need clarification.

I'm considering the purchase of a Harmony remote. I have a projector directly over my seating area, but my stack of A/V components is immediately to the left of the main seating area. There is no line-of-sight available to bounce IR signals off of the projection screen and onto the component stack (the components are around a corner that's in the way). I also have a remote-controlled Lutron Grafik Eye lighting controller behind the main seating area.

I want to be able to aim the remote at the component stack to my left, and have the signal reach the projector overhead and the lighting controller behind me. So I only need to "repeat" the infrared signals to two devices, with the projector being 12 feet from the component stack, and the lighting controller being probably 20 feet from the component stack.

The component stack is not behind closed doors (I prefer to see my equipment and not hide it).

Do I need one of these Hot Link Pro gadgets, or would it be overkill for my situation? Is there a simpler/cheaper alternative?

If the Hot Link Pro is the right product for my needs, could I install the eye and main repeater box in my equipment rack, and run a 12-foot emitter wire from the main repeater box to the projector, taping an emitter to the projector's IR eye? I still have the wiring channel open and available from the component stack to the projector. Adding another wire run would not be a problem.

For the Grafik Eye lighting controller behind me, I have no wiring run available that would go all the way to the Grafik Eye, so taping the emitter directly to the Graphic Eye's IR eye is not going to work. But I do have a section of my ceiling done with a ceiling tile grid (instead of drywall), and I could run an emitter cable from the component stack, above the ceiling tiles, through one of the tiles to a wall location where I could aim the emitter at the Graphik Eye. The emitter would have to be able to cover/shine a distance of about six feet. The emitter wire distance from the main repeater box to the emitter would be approximately 15 feet. Will that work?

Thanks in advance for any info from you Hot Link Pro gurus out there!

ND

·
Registered
117 Posts
My projector (IF7210) is directly overhead and the component stack directly to the right. Most of the time I can make changes just pointing the remote straight ahead, but I do point my 676 remote at the component stack when making changes. My only problem is with the Comcast cable box and changing channels. I have to point in that general direction or it misses the command sometimes. I rarely make changes in the projector, but bouncing off the screen is no problem for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an LPX-510 directly above me and the components in a cabinet about 15 ft in front of me. The IR bounces of my Firehawk screen with no problem. The problem I am having now is in trying to get the extended IR codes into the harmony database so I can do diect control from Device Mode. They said they added the IR codes to my configuration, but nove of the extended codes are working. Also, their LPX-510 in the database is actually an LPX-500, e.g. no HDMI, ZOOM, FOCUS, or IRIS commands. I have called that to their attention today via my support contact.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
khoney - That's good news. My LPX-510 will be arriving this week and I'll be using the 880 with it!

Can't you teach your 880 the extended commands that you need? Just go into learn mode with the 880...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericky
khoney - That's good news. My LPX-510 will be arriving this week and I'll be using the 880 with it!

Can't you teach your 880 the extended commands that you need? Just go into learn mode with the 880...
Nope. For instance, say you want to change your Aspect to Zoom mode. You would first press the ASPECT button, then scroll in the menu until you highlighted Zoom. You then press the center button to select. What the remote does is send the ASPECT, followed by Direction Down codes, followed by the Select code. If you tried to highlight the Zoom, then run into your computer room and press Select, what you would learn is Select, not Zoom.

Extended IR code is the only way to get what we want. They are not in the database, but I'm working with customer service to get this done.

Another problem I've been trying to solve with no success is that the menu operation is really slow. I bring up the projector menu, but when I press the down arrow, I only get about one menu change per second. I have set the interkey delay for the Projector to 0, but it is still slow. One thing I learned today is that there is a "Press and Hold" capability in the 880, but consumer programming of this is so far being prohibited. You must call tech support to have them do it for you. So far, this is the most frustrating thing for me as a computer and tech-savvy customer. I want the ability to enact any feature that the device is capable of without involving tech support. For instance, I'd like to be able to enter the IR extended codes myself from some advanced menu. Let's face it, a lot of the users of these devices are tinkering techno-geeks like me. Give us the power, I say!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.