AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get setup for the new season of shows. Why can't NBC settle on a set schedule? The "supersized" shows make it so you can't use a standard program.

Also, what's with ER starting at 8:58 instead of 9? I want to set up programs to tape CSI from 8-9 and ER from 9-10 but I can't because of the two minutes of overlap.

Do any of you guys have ways to work around this?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
This has been discussed several times in the last few weeks... there's no wonderful answer. One is to set up manual recordings for the times involved, and one will cut a few off one or the other. Problem there is that you don't get the guide info with the recording.

Their (networks) intent is to catch surfers off the end of another show and get them watching (ER) before the other nets start their 9:00s. Personally, I can't remember the last time I watched a show from surfing into it! :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Set up channels for everything on NBC Thursday night, call it NBC Thursday Pass. Then watch only what you want, delete the rest. But not before watching the preceding show to make sure you don't miss the ending.

So NBC wins this round.

NBC 1 , Viewers 0

·
Registered
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chemguy
I'm trying to get setup for the new season of shows. Why can't NBC settle on a set schedule? The "supersized" shows make it so you can't use a standard program.

Also, what's with ER starting at 8:58 instead of 9? I want to set up programs to tape CSI from 8-9 and ER from 9-10 but I can't because of the two minutes of overlap.

Do any of you guys have ways to work around this?

Thanks.
I watch the "(EYE)" and record all of the "PEACOCK" by having 'Friends" run for an extra 150 minutes [two hours, thirty minutes]

If you think that is bad I have not only my RPTV running but two other VCR's at 7:pM to catch all of the programing on Thursday night.....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jay_k
I'd say the best way to deal with NBC's Thusrday night programming is to not watch NBC's Thursday night programming.

;)
I agree, if they can't show the shows in the normal time slots, then they can't show them to me.

I'm not going to jump through hoops to watch their stupid shows. There are plenty of other networks that don't play those games.

I think we need to send a clear message to NBC, if you are going to be stupid, then you can play with yourself....err.. by yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
And they would know this how? The three people recording for Nielsen (sp?) that have RTVs would *****? Anyway, I don't think they (Nielsen) let you timeshift... :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
RTV needs the ability to delay start of a recording. We can start recording early, we need to be able to delay the start also.

CSI -- 8 - 9 pm

ER -- 8:58 - 10pm

Advanced options on the ER recording should allow a delay start of 2 mins, then there wouldn't be a conflict.

Local stations will sometimes make the primetime shows bigger with more commercials, somtimes upto 5 mins here in Anchorage. I would rather miss the first few mins of a show than not be able to record it (except by a manual record)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by geoWorm
RTV needs the ability to delay start of a recording. We can start recording early, we need to be able to delay the start also.

CSI -- 8 - 9 pm

ER -- 8:58 - 10pm

Advanced options on the ER recording should allow a delay start of 2 mins, then there wouldn't be a conflict.
A better solution would be to stop the CSI recording earlier. The show is done by 8:55 so you could use the following record schedule

CSI -- 8:00 - 8:58 pm

ER -- 8:58 - 10:00 pm

That would record both programs in their entirety. If the ReplayTV software would allow "reverse padding" as users have clamored for since I purchased my first ReplayTV unit four years ago, then this would be easy. As it is you _can_ do it, but only with manual records (and who wants to fiddle around with manual records when networks shift stuff around so regularly?).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidEC
I watch the "(EYE)" and record all of the "PEACOCK" by having 'Friends" run for an extra 150 minutes [two hours, thirty minutes]
Be warned that this will not work 100% of the time! Unless you keep at least two episodes worth anyway. I used to do the exact same thing, but, one Thursday, Friends, et al., didn't record. Why? Because it had been supersized, and I had it set to only keep one episode. My ReplayChannel had 3 hours allocated, but the supersized Friends with 2.5 hours of padding required more than the 3 hours that were allocated, so it didn't record.

IMHO, the best way is to set up manual records.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I did a net connect yesterday afternoon (phone had been out, just turned on again yesterday), and my guide data included the supersize show. I think it said friends ran from 8:00 - 8:48, I padded 5 extra minutes to be sure but it got it all no problem. This was on my old showstopper unit. Worked fine. I use my newer replay unit to do the bulk of the work, any conflicts are handled by the showstopper. It comes in handy having two digital recorders. I don't know how to use a VCR anymore.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
After watching last night's supersized Friends (which had at least 4 5 min commercial blocks, if they were truthful they would have called it "supersized ads"), I'm happy to report that I will not be facing this dilemma in the future. After I watch E.R. tonight, maybe I will also not be faced with needing to account for the early start. NBC ain't doing too well by me this season. Whoopi's show sucks, so does the LaRoquette/Baranski opus; a dirty rotten shame that good performers aren't given quality material to work with. The West Wing opener was a big nothing, and Las Vegas tries too hard to be cute.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
NBC ain't doing too well by me this season. Whoopi's show sucks, so does the LaRoquette/Baranski opus; a dirty rotten shame that good performers aren't given quality material to work with. The West Wing opener was a big nothing, and Las Vegas tries too hard to be cute.

http://www.nbc.com/Las_Vegas

I watched the pilot for Las Vegas on NBC and was ABSOLUTELY amazed by this show. I can't wait for the next episode. I still have it on my Replay, and have watched it 3 times already.

As for NBC Thursday night, if they start doing it every week, can the FCC get involved? This is rediculous!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Why should it be an issue for the FCC, if you weren't joking? If the nets want to piss off people with scrambling start/end times, it's their funeral. Nothing ever said shows had to be 30/60 minutes long on the half hour.

Anyway, you want someone to tell the nets they have to end/start shows on the hour/half so people can watch another network's show? Right... :) It's all 'get them stuck here and keep them here because they are too stupid to look at a guide and miss some commercials'.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richierich
A better solution would be to stop the CSI recording earlier. The show is done by 8:55 so you could use the following record schedule

CSI -- 8:00 - 8:58 pm

ER -- 8:58 - 10:00 pm
That's not always true. :(

There was an episode of CSI last season, Abracadabra, that went 3 minutes long. My recording cut off before the end.

I had to wait until the repeat to see how it turned out. And of course it wasn't how you would have expected given where it ended at 9:00.

That was my main reason for buying a second Replay. So I can pad the end of CSI by 5 minutes and record ER on the other.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jay_k
I'd say the best way to deal with NBC's Thusrday night programming is to not watch NBC's Thursday night programming.

;)
That's what I do - I stay away from it.

If a network is that desperate to use tactacs such as this to get people to watch thier programming - then the programming can't be that good.

With that said, I did create a manual record of Couplings, I missed a minute or so in the begining - but the show was pretty bad anyways.

The above case in point - proved.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.