AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 10 months, I have been a very satisfied HTPC and front projector user. I have about 1600 hours on my X1, using it for computer, TV, and home theatre.

Recently, I have started capturing a bunch of home movies off my DV camcorder thinking that I would simply be able to play them with media player (or the like) and the quality would be great. I have come to realize that it is not quite that simple.

My computer is connected to my X1 via vga port and I have great quality DVD playback from the DVD rom, but the captured DV looks pretty crappy.

I have read about the need to deinterlace this video for playback on a computer monitor/projector and I have even tried using VirtualDub to deinterlace with very marginal results.

I have also read about Dscaler, but I do not think it is useful in this situation.

Bottom Line Question: Does DV captured video need to be deinterlaced, etc. to result in high quality playback on a computer monitor/projector?

What would be best for me would be a player that could perform the deintelacing, etc. and save me the trouble of processing all my captured video.

Thanks in advance for any advice or shared experiences.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I almost always convert any DV that I will play on a computer into Windows Media 9 files. The de-interlacing is excellent and the files are small enough, even compressing at a fairly high rate (quality VBR...), that I just keep them on my computer or copy them to DVD-Rs.

-- Gary

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just started delving into this myself. I have 3 TVs - an LCD, and LCD projector, and a plasma. I play all of the DV video off of hard drives. My projector has a great deinterlacer and plays the files no problem. My LCD TV doesn't, and I see a lot of deinterlacing artifacts. Haven't tried it on my plasma yet. What I ended up doing - since all of my playback is progressive, and since all of my playback is with Theatertek, is converting the avi files to mpeg dvd images and deinterlacing them at the same time. The quality is great.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good Questions-I've just started some of this as well. And I also have a 4 year old DV camera (A Sony Digital 8 model). Here has been my experience:

1. For best playback from a harddrive, the highest quality WMV formats seem to look best.

2. Straight MPEG2 from Media Player or other app seems grainier off the harddrive.

3. After burning a DVD-R for use on standalone DVD players, I was amazed that the video looked better than when it was coming from my PC-even on the same set (Samsung DLP)! I'm using Sonic MyDVD for the capture and burning. There has got to be something its doing thats cleaning up the video, right?

Finally, I think you and I were sold something of a bill of goods with some of the original DV camcorders. Specifically, I think the newer models have better CCDs (ie capture more pixels) and then down rez to 640 X 480 resolution. I wouldn't be surprised, given cost issues at the time (1999) if some DV cameras actually uprezzed to reach 640 X 480 as their CCDs may not have had a high enough pixel count.

Bottom line is I'm happy with my results. My stuff looks several magnitudes better than VHS-C stuff that my Brother-in-law has and if you play the DVD back on a regular TV, it looks phenomenal. If you want perfect, spring for the JVC HD Camcorder.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by switzch
run the video through premiere and deinterlace it.
Or don't since the deinterlacing routines that come with Premiere are crap. They basically throw half the resolution away. Now, there are some 3rd party plugins for Premiere that should do a better job but I haven't tried any of those.

For deinterlacing DV (to do further processing, for example, xvid compression) I use VirtualDub with a AVS script and TomsMoComp which gives pretty good results.

The best deinterlacing routines that I have tried are in Sonic CinePlayer (yes, even better looking deinterlacing than TomsMoComp or MoComp2). But I can only use CinePlayer for playback and not as a step for further processing or storing deinterlaced content. So, I sometimes store DV clips in high bitrate (9000+) interlaced MPEG2 files and use CinePlayer to watch them on a progressive (computer) display and just any media player without deinterlacing for TV-out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The X1 has a Faroudja fe-interlacer and scaler, so if that's your target you might not really need to de-interlace.... Just feed it the interlaced signal via S-Video...

Bert

·
Registered
551 Posts
Or, buy Xcard and PDI combo? It does deinterlace in completely digital through dScaler like what Faroudja does through S-Video and few AD/DA. ;) And, with joveplayer, this combo can feed almost all media format through dScaler (realmedia is not supported yet).

IMHO, using virtual dub w/ TomsMoComp sounds the best as a free software solution. I played with old virtual dub long time ago, but didn't know that the recent version of it can use TomsMoComp. Sounds very interesting. :)

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I just went through this same thing. Here's what I did:

1. Ran the old Sony High 8 camcorder into a Pinnacle Studio AV card.

2. The Pinnacle card converted the stream to DV.

3. Pulled out the clips I wanted through the Pinnacle Studio Software.

4. Imported the clips into Vegas 4 and edited them.

5. Corrected the color and contrast of the clips. (The improvement was HUGE!)

6. Rendered the video to Mpeg2, deinterlaced, and converted the mono audio sound into Dolby Digital 5.1

I then took the video and imported it into DVD Architect to create the DVD menu's and final DVD. I cant believe how well it turned out.

If you want it to look professional use a professional editing product. If you have a son/daughter in school use their student discount and get Vegas+DVD for ~$270 instead of the retail $700.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Side note here:

Windows Media Player (actually the MSDV decoder itself) defaults to playing DV files at a low resolution, making them look like utter garbage.

Open Windows Media Player, go to Tools | Options | Performance tab | Advanced button and make sure the Digital Video slider is set to Large.

Above applies to WMP9, WMP7.1 has the same slider but it's slightly different to get to.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by karpaasi
For deinterlacing DV (to do further processing, for example, xvid compression) I use VirtualDub with a AVS script and TomsMoComp which gives pretty good results.
I notice you can get TomsMoComp from doom9. Where can you get AVS script? And how do you get them working in VirtualDub? Looks like they are written for AVISynth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.