AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently set up a 7.1 surround system at my home theater, and am wondering what would be the best way to demo it. In other words, if I had a friend come over what should I pop into my PS3 to demonstrate the sound capabilities? I'm looking for something that sounds 'surroundy'.

I am aware of the fact that there is very little true 7.1 source material out there, so I'm willing to settle for 5.1 if it will give the impression of things happening around you.

It can be anything - a specific clip from some movie, an audio, a game etc. Maybe there's some dedicated demo Blu-ray out there that does specifically what I ask?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Toy Story 3 probably has the best implementation of 7.1 to date. For music there a few discs out there with "reference" material, even for multichannel. Can't think of their names off the top of my head though.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Lord of the Rings Return of the King seems to have a mega wow factor. Throw that guy in PL II. The scene where Sam, Gollum, and Froto are about to go up those steps to the cave you have the doors opening and the witch king come out. That bangs. For pure 7.1 I use Dragon Tiger Gate. The first fight scene has aggressive rears. Ohh and the Intro to Transformers 1 and 2 always make me smile.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
For sutble to loud I like avatar where he is stranded at night you can hear all the forrest sounds and critters crawling around and then the attack. Fantastic but not true 7 channel

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal21 /forum/post/19558045

I have recently set up a 7.1 surround system at my home theater, and am wondering what would be the best way to demo it.

We've just bought several of the AIX Records samplers and DVDs, as much for the music and video as for the invaluable setup and demo capabilities. They have some that include 7.1 content and several are Blu-ray. We've only played the first one and we're blown away with the quality. They have a "Christmas special" that might still be in effect.

apologies, being noob to forum so can't post URL; it's the same as the company name

1 - 10 of 10 Posts