AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father has thousands of digital pics on his PC. When he has friends and family over everyone loves to watch the random Pics show up on the screen saver.

In the past he has made a DVD disc and inserted into DVD player to show on the TV, but this only captures some of the pictures and they don't show up randomly.

Is there a way to connect output video from PC to TV with TV input jacks of either "S Video", "RGA" or "composite" connections? Distance from PC to TV is @ 15'. Note TV is not HDTV and does not have HDMI.

Appreciate any advice...sorry if this is posted in wrong area???

Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can use a S-Video cable for that. Your video card should have an S-Video output, what card is it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
are you sure that the "RGA" input that you mentioned isnt actually a "VGA" input. you would be much better off using that connection if it is a VGA input. S-video will look really bad with a PC connected to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, think I made some mistakes on my post. The TV inputs are RCA (yellow, red, white), S Video and Component.

Regarding the video card on the PC, there is only one output, believe this is known as "VGA" output. Is there therefore a way to connect from a VGA output to RCA, S Video or Component?

Also, is there a recommendation of a video card that provides output to connect to one of the three input optons on the TV?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hard to get good picture using a TV as a monitor, especially a non HDTV. Using a Nvidia 8800 series with S-video results in relatively poor output. Even DVI-HDMI connection to an HDTV is not very sharp. I've had best results using an Apple Macbook Pro although it does overscan (1" black bar around the picture) it was far better than the PC picture. Some aftermarket makers are incorporating HDMI ports, I haven't played with any of them yet. I have my eye on Palit as a high value tweaked card for HTPC applications, you might try one of their Sonic cards.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There are boxes that cost in the $50 +/- range that will do the vga to svideo/composite video conversion. Those will do what you want. There are also cable converters that have vga in and svideo out, that cost in the $5 range- they will NOT work.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVMERK /forum/post/15443926

OK, think I made some mistakes on my post. The TV inputs are RCA (yellow, red, white), S Video and Component.

Regarding the video card on the PC, there is only one output, believe this is known as "VGA" output. Is there therefore a way to connect from a VGA output to RCA, S Video or Component?

S-Video is what you want to use, it'll give the best picture. I use a 24" Thomson flat CRT TV as my monitor at my grandparents' place, hooked via S-Video, and while it's not the best thing to write documents on, it is readable and awesome for gaming and movies.

What's that card, a GeForce 2? If it only has VGA out it's either really old or integrated. And converter boxes generally suck. Right click your desktop and click Properties. On the Settings tab it'll say on . Post that info here. If you have Vista, you can find the display tabs in right click -> personalize -> display settings.

You only want pics and movies on the TV, right? In that case a gfx card to do that shouldn't be over $70, but i need to know your current one first so i can find a valid upgrade solution.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVMERK /forum/post/15440278

My Father has thousands of digital pics on his PC. When he has friends and family over everyone loves to watch the random Pics show up on the screen saver.

In the past he has made a DVD disc and inserted into DVD player to show on the TV, but this only captures some of the pictures and they don't show up randomly.

Is there a way to connect output video from PC to TV with TV input jacks of either "S Video", "RGA" or "composite" connections? Distance from PC to TV is @ 15'. Note TV is not HDTV and does not have HDMI.

Appreciate any advice...sorry if this is posted in wrong area???

Thanks.

Get DirecTV with an HDDVR. With it connected to your home network, you can view the pictures and listen to the music you have stored on your computer (in Windows Media Player 11) on your TV.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Quote:
Also, is there a recommendation of a video card that provides output to connect to one of the three input optons on the TV?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Any newer ATI card will have S-Vid as an output, and may also have a dongle that will go from DVI to Component. My ATI 2600 Pro came with one. The only other thing is what type of video card fits in the computer. Is it an AGP slot, or PCI-E slot? If AGP, then ATI had a dongle that would fit the Radeon 9X00 series card that could convert DVI to one of the standards your looking at. Most likely Nvidia has something as well too. If the TV indeed has component inputs (R, G, B, RCA jacks), then for sure stick with that as you will get the best PQ over S-vid (2nd choice) or composite (Yellow RCA...distant 3rd choice).

·
Registered
13 Posts
MVMERK,

First, You need to be sure what kind of connector (video out-put) on your video card (PC). Normaly, it came with VGA HD-15 connector but nowday it came in combo ( meaning that it allows to connect more than one display )

- If you want to watch TV and working on PC at the same time then you need a combo video card which you can buy from Newegg (try this link http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category...-Video-Devices ) again, I don't know much about your system so be aware what your system can support before deciding to buy one of these card.

For cable, you can buy from Quality SmartBuy ( https://qsmartbuy.com/eshop/index.ph...1a2711cc93091c )

- If you just want to twist the cable from one to another whenever you need then just buy SVGA or S-Video cable (SVGA give you better signal than regular VGA cable). try the same source as above

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a HP HDX18t with a 9600GT-M on my laptop. It has a Intel Centrino Duo-Core 2.4 GHz. It is able to display full 1080P, 1920 x 1080. It has a HDMI input, if I hook it up to my Toshiba 42RV535U LCD HDTV will it look bad? What about the possibility of playing games on the HDTV? Will I have to lower my graphics settings on my games?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Get a transcoder. See link for an example
Key Digital

I got this same model for $20 on Ebay. It will take a VGA signal and convert it to component. VGA is almost always RGB, component is almost always YPbPr, so you need something to do the processing. The model linked above has a VGA passthrough, so you can output the signal to both the TV (via component) and another Monitor (via VGA)

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/15623932

Almost? When are they not?

Mostly me being lazy and not wanting to explain that some components will output RGB over component, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.