Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff125va
tpatt - Is it really as easy as they say to get those connectors on? Would I need "their" tools that they mention?
Very easy to do. You need a crimper whether theirs or somebody else's. But once you got it you can do any length coax cables that u want.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff125va
Another question, just slightly off the topic of the thread, but I think close enough... as of now I'm planning on running composite, S, and component video cables from my equipment rack (to connect from my receiver) to my projector location. I'm not too familiar with the "more advanced" video cables such as DVI, VGA, IEEE-1394 (well, at least not with their HT applications). What other cables might I want to run when I do my pre-wiring?
I think those will do you for now. General consesus around here though is to run 1.5" pvc for anything additional you might need in the future.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpatt
Very easy to do. You need a crimper whether theirs or somebody else's. But once you got it you can do any length coax cables that u want.
And rather than use F connectors and RCA adapters, use these.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by starford
Check these guys out for specialty coax:

http://www.covid.com/

I'm using their Cactus Cable at several places in my HT. I just bought a hydra with a lot of strands, and I can pick and choose as to which are used for composite, s-video, component, RGB or whatever. They also sound just fine as an audio interconnect, but that's for zone 2 stuff, not for critical listening.
Starford (or anyone): Do you have any recommendations for connectors for these? I'd like to use the 4-coax cactus cable, with RCA connections on each - three for component video, one for coax digital audio. I was planning on using a crimp-on connector such as this but can't tell if that will work with the way that cactus cable is bundled. Thanks! I might run some of these to other locations as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbaxter
For your component video, just go to pccables.com and look for part # 02435. It's a 50ft cable with five BNC/RCA plugs on both ends.
This cable may be what I'm looking for. I am a novice when it comes to wiring so I do have another question.

I'm also interested in a long cable run, and I want to investigate running the video cable through the walls/ceiling. Are there video cables (for a component video run) that are suitable for in-wall runs?

I know for my audio cables I can purchase CL-3 or CL-4 rated cables (from Home Depot)... is there something equivalent for video? Are the cables listed above suitable for in-wall usage?

Thanks!

Wayne

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by who_ca
This cable may be what I'm looking for. I am a novice when it comes to wiring so I do have another question.

I'm also interested in a long cable run, and I want to investigate running the video cable through the walls/ceiling. Are there video cables (for a component video run) that are suitable for in-wall runs?

I know for my audio cables I can purchase CL-3 or CL-4 rated cables (from Home Depot)... is there something equivalent for video? Are the cables listed above suitable for in-wall usage?

Thanks!

Wayne
I think the general idea here is to use in-wall rated coax cables, and just attach connectors suitable for your needs. In your case, RCA connectors for component video. Coax (such as RG-6) is generally easier to find for in-wall use than what you usually see sold in stores as component video cables, plus it works well for long runs. The cable mbaxter suggested says "shielded", I'm not positive but I do believe that means for in-wall use. I'd wait for someone to confirm that though. That would save you the step of attaching the connectors, so as long as the length is good for you, you could just go with that one and save some work for yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I decided to ask the question about in-wall runs to the PCCables.com folks. I received the following response:

It is suitable for in wall runs. But not for use in any plenum spaces.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by who_ca
I decided to ask the question about in-wall runs to the PCCables.com folks. I received the following response:

It is suitable for in wall runs. But not for use in any plenum spaces.
Then you should be fine, as long as you're not running it through your duct work.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpatt
Why not just create the cables yourself with some good RG-6 quad shielded coax and these..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15422&DID=7

Seems to me to be a lot better than having a bunch of adapters on your line.
OK, so I'm definitely getting some of these, but wondering if you've used them for a connection inside the wall. They look a little long and with stiff RG-6 cable, appears that they could be a bit cumbersome. I would also like something a little more secure inside the wall, and I've seen wall plate inserts with female F-connectors inside and RCA outside (as well as RCAs on both sides), but I haven't seen any male F-connectors that look as easy to attach to the cable as these RCAs look.

So I'm wondering if either those RCA connectors will be fine inside the wall, or if someone knows of an F-connector that's pretty easy to attach to the end of RG-6 coax.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.