AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some older (but nice) stereo equipment from a buddy at work. I had wanted a stereo strictly for music in my living room area (HT setup with surround sound etc. is upstairs) and got a decent deal on it. It's a 'surround sound' reciever from the early days with dolby 4 way surround, but I don't care much about that, it's switchable to just stereo on separate a/b channels, which is how I have it. I also have a nice EQ that came with it, and I'm just curious the best way to use it with the setup. The receiver has pre amp out/in for each speaker channel, which are tied together if no pre amp is used, so I just hooked the EQ in there which works well as it lets me monitor the volume as I turn it up and see the gain as the volume is increased. However, it won't work if/when I hook up the b channel speakers. The other option is to hook the EQ through the tape in/out and just hit tape monitor when I want the eq. This is nice as it will work for both speaker channels and if I don't want to use the eq I can just shut off tape monitor. However, it won't change with the volume.

So I guess the question is: Is running it through the pre amp in/out on the receiver any better than running it through the tape monitor or doesn't it matter?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar /forum/post/16972075

...However, it won't work if/when I hook up the b channel speakers.

I find it odd that using B channels speakers would somehow make it not work. Or are you just saying that it won't work for you, because you want to EQ A and B speakers differently? Or is the loop somehow specific to the A speakers only? That would be a bit odd, as the AB speakers are usually nothing but a simple set of terminals connected to the same output device.

Quote:
The other option is to hook the EQ through the tape in/out and just hit tape monitor when I want the eq. This is nice as it will work for both speaker channels and if I don't want to use the eq I can just shut off tape monitor. However, it won't change with the volume.

I don't know exactly what you mean, sorry. I guess the tape out is before the volume control? I thought using the tape loop was SOP for many people using EQs/

Quote:
So I guess the question is: Is running it through the pre amp in/out on the receiver any better than running it through the tape monitor or doesn't it matter?

Have you tried it both ways? Seems that might give you some data to work from. I am thinking you have not tried it, and are hoping to get advice so you don't have to spend time trying it both ways?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16972125

I find it odd that using B channels speakers would somehow make it not work. Or are you just saying that it won't work for you, because you want to EQ A and B speakers differently? Or is the loop somehow specific to the A speakers only? That would be a bit odd, as the AB speakers are usually nothing but a simple set of terminals connected to the same output device.

I don't know exactly what you mean, sorry. I guess the tape out is before the volume control? I thought using the tape loop was SOP for many people using EQs/

Have you tried it both ways? Seems that might give you some data to work from. I am thinking you have not tried it, and are hoping to get advice so you don't have to spend time trying it both ways?

This receiver has a separate pre amp in/out for both the a and b channel speakers (or f/r if run in surround), so if i hook the eq to the pre amp in/out, I only get equalization on whichever channel I hook it to (which is fine for now as I haven't hooked up the other pair of speakers as they need some work). With the tape monitor, it'll do both channels but the eq won't monitor the volume. I couldn't readily tell the difference between hooking to the tape monitor vs hooking to the pre amp in/out, but then I didn't listen for a long time and my source material wasn't great, though I guess if I can't hear a difference it doesn't really matter even if technically it's better one way or the other. I was hoping somebody had experience with both, but for now I'll just run it on the tape monitor to make it easy to listen to the source with/without eq.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Interesting, I never heard of a receiver with a pre amp loop for both A and B speakers. I can see the purpose to it though, as the rear speakers would likely need different EQ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts