AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am in the process of removing all braces and redoing them because the braces were absolute ****. The Problem is...
There is really bad glue residue all over the panels with poly fill sticking on it. How do I remove that the most effective way?
Automotive tire Circle Fixture Arch Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
A sharp 5 in 1 tool or sandpaper.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sharp edge for the chunky stuff (wood chisel or 5 in 1 tool) then sand the residue.

Reactions: M4BGRINGO

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am shocked that the wood came off that easily. It should have left large chunks of the wood behind. I wonder what kind of glue it is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am shocked that the wood came off that easily. It should have left large chunks of the wood behind. I wonder what kind of glue it is.
The glue was "UHU Holzleim" and it basically came off because... Well I don't really know. The faces of the braces were not 100% covered so the contact surface was not great because I was bad at putting them in

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you're not getting glue squeezing out along the entire edge when you clamp the wood together, you don't have enough glue on the parts. Make sure you get good squeeze-out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're not getting glue squeezing out along the entire edge when you clamp the wood together, you don't have enough glue on the parts. Make sure you get good squeeze-out.
How do I clamp braces inside?

I think I'll use screws for this somehow

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's harder to do once the box is already built. I like to clamp the braces as I go. But you should be able to find a way. You might have to put something between the clamp and the brace to fill the gap. You could also lay the box down and put weights on top of the braces to clamp them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's harder to do once the box is already built. I like to clamp the braces as I go. But you should be able to find a way. You might have to put something between the clamp and the brace to fill the gap. You could also lay the box down and put weights on top of the braces to clamp them.
Since the box is already built and fitting side to side braces is impossible, I will do it like this: The red is the wood, green is glue
Rectangle Parallel Handwriting Font

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You can use the sander, or use a scraper. Either way get ready for tedium that’s a lot of cleanup.

I also clamp my bracing using pocket holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Coarse screw in pocket holes works great but not sure you can do now that assembled. Maybe just coarse screws without the pocket hole. Chisel the worst of the glue, then sand with 50, 80, 120. Coarse screws immediately after glue. For coarse screws order the Kreg pocket screws for plywood in the length of your choice. The Kreg Rocket and bit will maybe help you make the screw pockets. Or just a regular bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello! I am in the process of removing all braces and redoing them because the braces were absolute ****. The Problem is...
There is really bad glue residue all over the panels with poly fill sticking on it. How do I remove that the most effective way?
View attachment 3176970
What does each brace look like?
You really don't need to remove all the old junk, scrape as much of it as you can, but no one is going to see inside there.
I am OCD about this stuff but sometimes you just gotta let it go........... ;)
You can do the braces several different ways, up to you.
What you drew above is fine, provided you have enough overlap.
You can also make the brace so it can be turned into place by leaving it on the short side. Just make it full length then take a little off at a time till it goes in. Use PL Construction Adhesive instead of glue, it will fill the gap pretty good. If you are still concerned then make a few small blocks and glue them to the side and then to the brace. They will eat-up a small amount of internal volume, but nothing I would be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Here is the link to the Loctite PL3X that @M4BGRINGO mentioned. It doesn't cure as fast as wood glue so you will need to secure the parts with clamps or screws much longer than traditional wood glue. I also think that the PL3x will be more tolerant of a less than perfect surface preparation for your new braces, so it may not be necessary to remove every bit of old glue before you install your new braces. Kreg Tools makes an inexpensive pocket hole jig which you can probably use to secure your internal braces without any visible fasteners from the outside. I would experiment with the coarse and fine pocket hole screws before you decide which screws to use. Although the coarse screws are recommended for plywood, I found on my current speaker project that the fine screws were less prone to stripping and formed a tighter joint.

Good luck on your project!

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the link to the Loctite PL3X that @M4BGRINGO mentioned. It doesn't cure as fast as wood glue so you will need to secure the parts with clamps or screws much longer than traditional wood glue. I also think that the PL3x will be more tolerant of a less than perfect surface preparation for your new braces, so it may not be necessary to remove every bit of old glue before you install your new braces. Kreg Tools makes an inexpensive pocket hole jig which you can probably use to secure your internal braces without any visible fasteners from the outside. I would experiment with the coarse and fine pocket hole screws before you decide which screws to use. Although the coarse screws are recommended for plywood, I found on my current speaker project that the fine screws were less prone to stripping and formed a tighter joint.

Good luck on your project!

Mike
I just added the first brace with pocket screws (without a jig) and I used very strong glue (MEM All Ground mega power) and I hope it'll be good!

Table Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I thought this was going to be a CLD redo from Noah’s posting. It is on my list of things to try in my next sub builds.

Why are you bracing in 2 pieces instead of one?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought this was going to be a CLD redo from Noah’s posting. It is on my list of things to try in my next sub builds.

Why are you bracing in 2 pieces instead of one?
Two pieces because 1 piece is an act of trying to squeeze the piece in and glue smearing all around... With two pieces, you can secure the first one and after that add the second one and make sure that the glue is on the whole surface

1 - 20 of 57 Posts