AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I use DVDFab to rip all of my DVD's to hard drive and it works great. I then use My Movies to launch them inside of Vista Media Center.

Now I am going to start doing TV series that I have.

I am saving them as "Tv Series\\Series Name\\Season\\001 - Episode Name\\Video_TS" file structure. I have 2 questions.

1) Is their a ripping software out their that will do this in one step when their are 4-5 episodes on a disc. Right now I have to run DVDFab for each episode stripping it out of the disc.

2) Is their any good way to bring up a library in VMC to view these, I don't think My Movies works very well for TV Series. Can the VMC TV menu be used in any way.

Now that all of our DVD's and BluRay's are done this is next so I would like to do it right the first time. New hard dive will be here Thursday, yes I ran out of space.....

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Your best bet is to rip the individual episodes and convert them into AVI or mpeg files.

Then just categorize them by file name, folder and use the videos section of WMC.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/15475907

2) Is their any good way to bring up a library in VMC to view these, I don't think My Movies works very well for TV Series. Can the VMC TV menu be used in any way.

Best bet would be to download and install Media Browser and grab TVscout. You would rip each episode and name them such as MASH.s01e01, MASH.s01e02 do that for the whole season then run TVscout to get the metadata.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Why not just rip the whole DVD? That's how I handle my show rips, I take the whole DVD (in VIDEO_TS layout) and just navigate the menus for each disk of the movie.

MagicDVD Ripper will allow you to rip down the entire DVD in native format, as will AnyDVD. Either of these would be a reasonable choice. For shows, I'd rather have the entire DVD because the menus are actually useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/15475907

Right now I use DVDFab to rip all of my DVD's to hard drive and it works great. I then use My Movies to launch them inside of Vista Media Center.

Now I am going to start doing TV series that I have.

I am saving them as "Tv Series\\Series Name\\Season\\001 - Episode Name\\Video_TS" file structure. I have 2 questions.

1) Is their a ripping software out their that will do this in one step when their are 4-5 episodes on a disc. Right now I have to run DVDFab for each episode stripping it out of the disc.

Now that all of our DVD's and BluRay's are done this is next so I would like to do it right the first time. New hard dive will be here Thursday, yes I ran out of space.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been enjoying Handbrake immensely in both Linux and Windows.

I can put in a disk of 4-8 episodes, pick each one, and add it to the encode queue. Come back awhile later, and each episode is labeled and individually encoded.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown /forum/post/15476195

Best bet would be to download and install Media Browser and grab TVscout. You would rip each episode and name them such as MASH.s01e01, MASH.s01e02 do that for the whole season then run TVscout to get the metadata.

I did see Media Browser and love the way it looks. Though about using it in place of My Movies but from what I read it will not support play back of BluRay to TMT in folder format. I guess I could install both and run side by side, My Movies for Movies and Media Browser for TV Series....

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink /forum/post/15476232

Why not just rip the whole DVD? That's how I handle my show rips, I take the whole DVD (in VIDEO_TS layout) and just navigate the menus for each disk of the movie.

MagicDVD Ripper will allow you to rip down the entire DVD in native format, as will AnyDVD. Either of these would be a reasonable choice. For shows, I'd rather have the entire DVD because the menus are actually useful!

I started that way but prefer to cut out all the menus, just a personal prefernce for fast loading, push play and watch...

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/15476776

I did see Media Browser and love the way it looks. Though about using it in place of My Movies but from what I read it will not support play back of BluRay to TMT in folder format. I guess I could install both and run side by side, My Movies for Movies and Media Browser for TV Series....

That would work well, as Media Browser is a light app. I love it as it's alot faster then mymovies and easier to set up. For all my TV shows I get what each episode is about rather then just the name of it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have found DVDShrink to be the best for this. I open up 4-5 (or how many are needed per disk) instances of DVDShrink - open a disc, set the episode to be ripped for each instance. I then setup all the backup info BUT DON'T PRESS "GO" - Then use MultiShrink ( http://www.dvdshrink.info/chetwood/index.php ) which will automatically determine when the first one is done and start the second rip. Once you get the hange of it - it goes pretty fast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm using the re-author part of dvd shink, selecting only one episode at a time, and saving in folder format... it seems to me that mediabrowser and metabrowser like TV eppisodes to be .AVI files. Is there anyway for me to use mediabrowser and metabrowser with the way i have my files or should i be somehow ripping them as .AVI?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i use makemkv, it rips each episode to its own mkv.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Easiest method:

1- Rip each individual episode to a single .vob

2- Rename those vob to whatever you like.mpg

There, instant mpg2 episodes.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16653475

i use makemkv, it rips each episode to its own mkv.

Doesn't makemkv force a re-encode? I think I looked at this app once (but it might have been something different/similar), and it didnt' allow you to just remux into mkv.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse /forum/post/16654459

Doesn't makemkv force a re-encode? I think I looked at this app once (but it might have been something different/similar), and it didnt' allow you to just remux into mkv.

It's doesn't re-encode it just remuxes each title into a single mkv. It's by far the easiest and quickest method I've found to getting episodes into single mkv files. That said it struggles with a disc every now and then and I'm forced to manually extract the streams from the episodes and mux them togethor manually.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse /forum/post/16654459

I have no idea, its a quick process, not any longer longer than a standard rip, and the results are very good. I thought it gave crappy results a while back but its turns out my ffdshow upscale setting were jacked up, i watched some rips last night on my cleaned up system it it looked fantastic.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16654403

Tried that once and it didn't work.

I mean really rip, not just copy. And it does work. I do this a lot when i'm in a hurry and have plenty of space on my HDD. The vob ARE mpg2 formated file but split in 1 gigabytes or less chunk per design. Once ripped and with the protection removed you can rename them or if it's a single film splitted in many chunk you can also concat them into a single file using the good old dos command: copy /b file_1.vob+file_2.vob+... destination.mpg and voila.

But you have to rip them first.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16654769

I mean really rip, not just copy. And it does work. I do this a lot when i'm in a hurry and have plenty of space on my HDD. The vob ARE mpg2 formated file but split in 1 gigabytes or less chunk per design. Once ripped and with the protection removed you can rename them or if it's a single film splitted in many chunk you can also concat them into a single file using the good old dos command: copy /b file_1.vob+file_2.vob+... destination.mpg and voila.

But you have to rip them first.

In a similar vein, I use VideoReDo TV Suite (which I originally got for video editing), and it does well with most of the stuff I throw at it. Not free, but good software.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
When I want to rip and reencode I use DDMFRip, a simple batch file that use DVD Decrypter to rip the episodes and I reencode in MP4 with AAC audio with Nero Recode (not free) or AutoGK (free), or like I said I just rename the VOB to MPG if i'm in a hurry and have the space.

You can read this post of mine for the link to DDMFRip and DVD Decrypter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts