AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canon HF200.

The software that comes bundled can only save video clips from the camcorder to the local hard drive (it does not want to browse the network). Additionally I want to remove the software as I have no other use for it.

I have Sone Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro 9 that I want to use for all editing. But it does not seem to have the capability to import and save video from the camcorder to a server.

I am looking for a simple way to connect the camcoder and save all the content on the camcoder to a server with as little involvent as possible. Is this possible in Vegas? Or do I need to use a different approach?

FYI - I also have (but don't plan on using) Adobe Premiere Elements 7

·
Registered
276 Posts
Once you have it on a local hard drive, you can obviously copy it anywhere on your network, or even beyond.

I personally rotate through a couple of terabyte USB drives (~$90 ea) where I backup my video, photos and other important files. I backup my local content to one while the other is in my fireproof safe, and swap them every couple of weeks. This protects against device failure (two backups of everything), site disasters (fire, massive burglary, etc.), and provides additional version-fallback capability for relatively little money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, but what do you use to get it off the camcorder and what files do you copy?

If I look at the files where it is store on the local drive, the Canon software creates a jpg image which is obviously not needed and then 2 files: *.mts & *.cpi

The .mts is the video (deduced based on size), but do I also need the .cpi ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
For my Sonys, I use the PMB software that comes with the camera, but you can just connect the cam as an external drive and copy/move the .mts files. PMB combines those that exceed the FAT32 2gb limit and produces the results with .m2ts extensions. I think the Pixela software that comes with Canons does something similar, but again, you can just copy the .mts files manually.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernhtp /forum/post/16926346

For my Sonys, I use the PMB software that comes with the camera, but you can just connect the cam as an external drive and copy/move the .mts files.

I too have come to like the way PMB imports and names and keeps track of files. If you use it consistently and carefully, it knows which files have been imported and which have not.

PMB also normalizes the sound tracks - but unfortunately clutters life with separate modd/moff/vmlf/vmlt files rather than embedding them in the original m2ts file.

I usually import raw m2ts files to a directory based on location and date. (BTW, PMB let's you choose/name the directory.)

When I import the raw m2ts files into Sony Vegas Platinum, the basic file structure is embedded in the import and saved as part of the SVP project. Later, I back these files up to an external hard drive using a similar file structure. Then, I can delete the (large) raw files from my PC and if I open the SVP project later, it can't find the raw files but it provides the file structure - available on the external hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi1 /forum/post/16924968

I have Sone Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro 9 that I want to use for all editing.

There's a big difference between Sony Vegas Platinum and Sony Vegas Pro. Make sure that you know which you have.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I organize in a similar way, e.g., c:\\media\\2009\\20090802AdriaticCruise\\...

The lack of a uniform and simple way to associate metadata is a big problem in avchd given that the sidecar files are a very fragile mechanism and one that will change as time goes on. In particular, the moff files are specific to PMB and probably to a range of versions. They will have no value a decade from now and will need to be converted to something more durable at some point.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i use the Pixela software that came with my hf10 only because it creates 1 simple file and it names t hem with the date and time for the file name. That's all I use the included software fore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.