AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run my HTPC and WHS server 24/7. I don't use a cable box and in reality do not need them running all the time. I was curious what are some good setting that keep things powered down while not in use, but do not hinder functionality. I know for example if I sleep it, It will still wake to record shows, but will not sleep after that. Also what if it looses the HDCP connection and will not show connected on the receiver.

What are some good polices/rules to follow?

What workarounds do you use?

What utilities do you use, if any, and how well do they work.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm interested in the same thing.

For my WHS I set it to go to sleep mode at 2am and wake up at 7am.

I'm about to go to Windows 7 on my HTPC. Right now I keep it on 24/7 but I am hoping to put it in sleep mode when it's not in use. I'd like to know settings for this as well. Also may have the issue where when it resumes it loses the video signal. Passing it through my Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver via HDMI from an ATI 4550 video card.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectedav /forum/post/16961414

I run my HTPC and WHS server 24/7. I don't use a cable box and in reality do not need them running all the time. I was curious what are some good setting that keep things powered down while not in use, but do not hinder functionality. I know for example if I sleep it, It will still wake to record shows, but will not sleep after that. Also what if it looses the HDCP connection and will not show connected on the receiver.

What are some good polices/rules to follow?

What workarounds do you use?

What utilities do you use, if any, and how well do they work.

Actually if you set an agressive sleep setting on your PC and always stop your media when you are done it should wake up, record the show, then go back to sleep.

I used to do this but now I have three tuners that stay fairly busy and I am streaming to other PCs and a media center extender so I no longer bother to use the sleep function. Plus I switched over to a DG45ID based board and updated to a 45nm core so I estimate my idle power draw to be at or under 40 watts.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I stopped running a server because I found it so wasteful. Now I just use an SATA USB docking station. I can only watch one movie/show at a time, so having access to 10,000 movies was awfully redundant for me. Now I just put in the hard drive that has the content I want and away I go...

·
Registered
913 Posts
i have three HTPC's, with one of them doubling as a server. the 2 "client" HTPC's use the wake on LAN/magic packet method to power on the server when they are used, and a system routine to powerdown the server when they are done accessing movies. works very nicely. indeed, any PC on the home network can do the same.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectedav /forum/post/16961414

I know for example if I sleep it, It will still wake to record shows, but will not sleep after that.

SHOULD go back to sleep. Make sure after recording ends, that the recorder application ends with it.

Quote:
what if it looses the HDCP connection and will not show connected on the receiver.

what's an HDCP?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Favelle and heartsurgeon for your opinions. I too was facing the same problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have set my WHS to hibernate when being idle in 2 hours. I have installed the Lights off plugin on it, and all my clients use a small WOL program that wakes the server up when they need the server.

The HTPC has the Lights Off client installed, so whenever the HTPC starts up, it wakes the server and keeps it alive as long as the HTPC is awake.

However, my HTPC is another issue. Since I can't get my harmony remote to wake it up from hibernating, I can only put it to sleep on a S3 level. It still uses 32 watts. With the high power prices in this very small country, it adds up to 190USD a year.

So I'm not sure what to do .... maybe I'll have to change the mobo..

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
He must mean S1 not S3 On my machines, S3 is only 1 - 2 watts

S0 - Working State

In this state, your PC is awake and working

S1- CPU Stopped

In this state, your PC is technically in standby and this is the default standby state if S3 is not supported. Power consumption is Five Watts to Thirty Watts of Power.

S3 - Suspend to RAM (context saved to RAM)

In this state, your PC in standby and all fans, hard drivers and other devices are powered down into a sleep state. Power consumption is less than Five Watts.

S4 - Suspend to Disk(Context saved to HDD)

Otherwise known as Hibernate, your PC has saved the contents of RAM to the hard disk and is pretty much tuned off. Power consumption is less than Five Watts. This isn’t very useful for desktop PCs and is mostly used in Laptops where battery drainage is far better than if you are in S3.

BB

·
Registered
68 Posts
There seems to be something terrible wrong here!

If I shut the PC down. not standby nor hibernate or anything.. but really click Start and go "shut down" ... it will still use 32 watts. I'm in shock!

The htpc is new and based on components recomended here on avs. The specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 LGA775

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel P45, LGA775

LG GGC-H20L - BluRay & HD-DVD drive

Corsair CMPSU-550VXEU, 550 Watt PSU

Sapphire RADEON HD 4670 512MB Ultimte

2x Kingston HyperX KHX6400D2K2/2G - Kit

Zalman 9500ALED CPUCooler

SilverStone Lascala SST-LC17B Black

In Bios htere is a menu called Power Management Setup, I have tried to put all these settings to be as power saving as possible, but did not gain anything. The settings are:

ACPI Suspent Type: S3 (STR)

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN (Delay 4 sec)

PME Event Wake Up: Disabled

Power On by Ring: Disabled

Resume by Alarm: Disabled

HPET Support: Disabled

Power On By Mouse: Disabled

Power On By Keyboard: Disabled

AC Back Function: Soft-Off

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Impossible, you must have another load like a digital STB or your TV attached and you are reading this. What reading do you get if you unplug the power cable from the PSU?

BB

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you are not powering anything else off your HTPC PSU, then there must be something wrong with your PSU.

BB

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
When you shut down the PC does it really shutdown? Can you hear anything or are there any lights or fans still on? Maybe you have the power on and reset switches on the wrong headers and it is not really powering down. Something is drawing power and if it is not the mobo or attached devices then it is the PSU itself. Is there an on off rocker switch on that PSU?

BB

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokkaNET /forum/post/16974681

If I unplug the cable from the PSU, it goes straight down to 0 watt.

many mobo maintain a power load even after you do a soft shut down (via Windows). This can be seen with mobo's that have status leds. They stays lit unless you do the hard off via the PSU rocker or unplug. If you have stuff like an iMON (or other) display installed it will draw power also since its really in a low power standby mode so it can be powered on using the the remote. Not saying that is the case with your system, just some thghts on why systems still draw power when you do a soft shut down. But 32w may seem high...I don't know since I never measured my systems.

Also PSU maintain a power load also if not hard shut downed. This for the PSU to stay in ready mode without having to reload the caps and other stuff that makes a PSU work evertime you power on. Thats why there are warnings on PSU about even when disconnect, there still can be a hazard if the PSU is open. You have to wait till it discharges (time is toatlly dependent on the PSU). So there will be a load on the PSU. Just a note: there are other so call phantom loads. Everything pug into a socket will draw power regardless if its on or not. The cord itself draws power. Was told by an energy consultant to us a while back when the company I work for had an energy usage evalution done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I have now, just to make sure disconected the USB keyboard, mouse and orginal MS remote reciever. No suprise, it didn't do anything.

The PSU has a on/off switch, if I turn the switch off usage will supringsly drop down to 14 watts.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am not familiar with this mboard or bios, however these two things give me cause for concern.

Quote:
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN (Delay 4 sec)

AC Back Function: Soft-Off

"Soft-Off" sounds a lot like some type of power state that is not S3. Have you tried an alternate setting other than "Soft-Off"?

If you open the case and then "power off" do all the fans stop? Case, CPU, Video card, and PSU? What about if you hold the power button down for 8 sec.?

Any indicator lights on that "Sapphire RADEON HD 4670 512MB Ultimte" that might suggest it is still fully powered up?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have tryed changing S3 to S1, did not change anything.

"Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN" has the following explonation about the 2 options I can choose here.[Instant-Off]

Press power button to power off system instantly

[Delay 4. Sec.]

Press power button 4 sec to power off. Enter suspend if button is pressed less than 4 sec.

I have tried changing it to "Instant-Off", and then shutting down the PC. The usage does not change

AC Back Function:

[Soft-Off] Always in off state when AC back

[Full-On] Always power on system when ACback

[Memory] System power on depends on the status before AC lost.

I guess it's no point in trying to change any of these.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts