AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to set up a Sony Wega 20"? I don't have the video essentials that others have posts. My picture seems a little grainy and it didn't look like ethat in the store. I have a Dish 501.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Video Essentials would let you set-up the color, contrast and brightness on your set, but really shouldn't affect the "graininess" of the picture to a significant extent.

This is just a guess, but it sounds like the way you have the sat box hooked up to your set may be affecting your picture quality more than the above mentioned settings. I don't have Dish network (DirecTV instead), but I'm guessing that the sat receiver has an s-video output (the connector with all the little holes inside arranged in a semi-circle), which is what you should be using.

If you are using the composite (so-called "RCA" connectors), or even worse, a coax-cable with the tv set to channel 3 or 4, it will degrade the picture noticeably, and could cause the "graininess" you describe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

thanks for responding........I have the tv out of the sat. receiver going to a splitter then a 100' RG6 cable is run to the upstairs......someone else said I should buy a 20db in line amp? Do you have any recommendations and where to get one?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"I have the tv out of the sat. receiver going to a splitter then a 100' RG6 cable is run to the upstairs......someone else said I should buy a 20db in line amp? "

That explains an awful lot. You won't be able to get a very good picture this way no matter what line-amplification you're using - there's just too much opportunity to pick up noise on that 100' of coax.

Just curiousity, but I take it this is a second tv? Otherwise, why would you have the receiver 100' away from the set?

If you're forced to have the receiver that far away from the set, you could try an in-line amplifier from kramerelectronics.com or some of the other parts suppliers on the net that sell Weingard products.

The best solution would be to use the s-video out of the receiver to your main tv, buy another sat box for your upstairs tv, and run the output from the dish upstairs.

Second best solution would be to use the s-video out from your sat box to your main tv, and the coax output ("channel 3" output) to your tv upstairs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again,

My receiver downstairs is the Dish 501 which means I can use my remote upstairs to control the downstairs receiver....not infrared. I'm going to need an amplifier..you mentioned 'weingard"...do you mean "Winegard"....do you think 20db wiuld be enough and is this the kind that plugs into the wall?

thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Here's a link to a 'net reseller of Winegard VHF amps (scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://www.starkelectronic.com/allamps.htm

(You're right, it's Winegard - I have a bad habit of not checking for typos).

As you can see, a good antenna pre-amp isn't cheap. I'm not familiar with Dish receiver prices, but a second DirecTV receiver can be had for about $50, and is by far a better solution as far as picture quality.

Again - you should not split the coax output of your dish receiver if possible. Doing so will reduce the signal at least 6 dB, which may be more than enough to cause the problem you're seeing.

You may want to pick up an $8 s-video cable from Radio Shack and use it to hook up your main "downstairs" tv, then use the "channel 3" output of yur receiver exclusively for your upstairs set. That may be enough in and of itself to clear up your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.