AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am moving into a new apt and I examined the cable line and noticed the following:

The cable goes directly from the pole into a 3-way splitter... the splitter has 3 markings on it: -3.5db, -7db, -7db - my feed is coming off one of the -7db jacks.

I believe the lowest degradation would be coming off of the -3.5db jack correct? I could easily switch my line if need be. Is there any other way of splitting it that would provide an even better quality signal?

Also, once in my apt it will have to be split 3 ways again - 1 into cable modem and 2 into analog cable tv - would one of those motorola signal boosters help me any?

Thanks!

huggybear

·
Registered
483 Posts
Three dB more or less level won't make any visible difference in your reception, unless it's already too close to the bottom of the usable range. The 3.5 dB tap may be needed for another customer with a much longer cable run.

Typical acceptable levels for analog cable range from about -15 dBmV up to about +15dBmV. The upper end of that range (say +5 to +10) is desirable if you live in an area with strong over the air television signals, as it will reduce the possible effects of direct ingress of the "undesired" OTA signals.

If you have contracted for new service at your apartment, the Tech who comes on site for the install should verify the signal level at the entry point into your home. He may also check it at eack interior jack, if you request it. If they have done their homework, the level at the pole should be high enough that even with the several cascaded splitters you wind up with at least something like -5 to 0dBmV at each of your TV's. If not, they should be asked to provide a "drop amplifier", likely at no extra cost, during install. That will give you 4 (or sometimes 8) splits with gain to make up for the losses upstream.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.