AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an attic antenna, and currently there is a twin lead to coax converter coming off the antenna to a short length of coax (~8 feet) that goes into a splitter which then feeds an upstairs bedroom and downstairs.

I was wondering if it is better to attach two twin-lead to coax converters and have two coax cables come off the antenna directly, or just use splitter.

Also, can anyone suggest a good quality splitter?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are you having picture quality issues with your current setup? What do you mean by "better"?

Holland makes a good splitter.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy88 /forum/post/15449458

I was wondering if it is better to attach two twin-lead to coax converters

Hi there

Stick to using the splitter.

What you call a "twin-lead to coax converter" is better known as a balun transformer. It is designed for minimal RF signal loss when connecting the 2 different conductors. Attaching 2 of these baluns instead of just 1 will cause an impedance mismatch. Theory says you'll get less signal that way than with a proper splitter.

Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I did some experimenting today and found that I get better results with two baluns than with a splitter! I was able to pick up a fringe station that I couldn't before when using a splitter. Is it possible the splitter causes more signal loss than having two transformers?

I did some searching and found a couple threads that found the same thing but apparently I can't post URLs until I've made 3 posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts