AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed before. I tried searching but didn't find anything with the keywords I could think of.

I recently purchased an X-Rite i1 LT. I used it to calibrate my Panasonic G10 and now I am finished with it for the time being. I am new to these meters but have heard to keep them away from humidity and light, as their accuracy can be comprised faster if they are exposed to these conditions.

Right now it's in the original box with that anti-humidity packet that comes with it, and it's in a sealed zip-lock bag and I put it on a shelf in my dark bedroom closet. I figured this would keep it away from humidity and light. Anything else I should do? Or am I being overly paranoid?

Also, how long can I expect to depend on this meter remaining fairly accurate?

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR /forum/post/18271768

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I tried searching but didn't find anything with the keywords I could think of.

I recently purchased an X-Rite i1 LT. I used it to calibrate my Panasonic G10 and now I am finished with it for the time being. I am new to these meters but have heard to keep them away from humidity and light, as their accuracy can be comprised faster if they are exposed to these conditions.

Right now it's in the original box with that anti-humidity packet that comes with it, and it's in a sealed zip-lock bag and I put it on a shelf in my dark bedroom closet. I figured this would keep it away from humidity and light. Anything else I should do? Or am I being overly paranoid?

See the last paragraph: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17503210

·
Registered
12,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR /forum/post/18271768

I use two ziploc bags. In the inner bag, the meter is placed with the diffuser/protective cover in place. The air is removed as best possible and then the bag is sealed. In the outer bag, the packet you mention is placed and as well as in the sealed inner bag. Then, the outer bag is sealed after the air is removed as best possible. Finally, I put the bag(s) into a black zippered case and store that case in a dark, cool, dry, and dust-free environment.

I believe dust harms the colorimeter's internal filters the most, then humidity, then temperature, and finally, light.

As to how long it will last when properly stored, I'd guess anywhere from 2 to 5 years. I wouldn't call these protective measures paranoid since dust and humidity can rapidly degrade the filters inside the unit, particularly the red one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

For what these things cost you would hope they'd last longer but oh well.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Wish i knew this b4 my red filter is ruined. Debating on buying a new one or getting the Pantone Huey Pro. I only need a calibrator for my monitors as I have a Chroma 5 for my TVs.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts