AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to figure out what my best options are for streaming music from my Android and my wife's Iphone to our whole house audio system. Our receiver is not equipped with Airplay and resides in a closet under our stairs. A minimum of 20 feet from anywhere the source music would be, but I'd really like range of 75+ft if possible. I do have a wireless network and I have a Samsung BluRay that also serves as a streaming hub (Netflix, Crackle, etc).

I have considered buying an Ipad and Apple TV which will solve the issue because I would then have Airplay and could run my Google Music via the Ipad browser. Though the Ipad would serve other uses, this is still a very expensive option and since I have the Samsung BluRay, I don't need the rest of the video services.

I have considered Bluetooth, but the downfall to that is the range. Seems that most aren't very effective beyond 30ft or so and I'd like to be able to run it from my back patio and across the house etc.

I am not a tech-head, so I am not super familiar with the products out there. What other options exist that I don't know about?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you already have an iPhone, why would you think you also need a new iPad to drive the Apple TV?

I think you have a couple options actually, but they would involve buying at least the Apple TV device.

There is an Android App you can use to connect your Android device to the Apple TV, and you can use native AirPlay with your iPhone. I use the AppleTV AirPlay Media Player from ZappoTV on my Droid and my wife has an iPhone5 - and my kids have an iPhone4 - and we can all connect our devices through the AppleTV box.

You could also use DLNA streaming from your Android phone to your BluRay (which I assume is DLNA compliant). You'd have to switch sources on your AVR to switch between AppleTV and the BluRay. In my case, I use Twonky Beam from my Droid to queue up YouTube videos and make little impromptu YouTube play lists for entertainment. Those on Apple devices can simply use AirPlay to mirror what they see on their phone to the AppleTV box (and if you have your own YouTube account you can build/save playlists ahead of time).

This works best when the BluRay player and/or AppleTV use a wired connection to your router or hub and you have a strong wireless network for your phones to use. I upgraded my router, and even got an extender to get adequate whole-house coverage. However, connections still can be flaky at times. It's not perfect by a long stretch. However, it's do-able.

Combined with a wired AVR and a remote control App - I can turn on my system, select the appropriate input source, and start streaming music; all from my Droid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts