AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4tb Seagate drive that suddenly has about 50 bd iso files not playing. They show in the folder and mount via virtual clone drive, but none of the software programs (vlc, powerdvd, make mkv) recognizes them. Many of these files were salvaged from another hard drive that became raw and had to be reformatted and recovered via easeus recovery software. They worked fine again for a year but now cannot be salvaged, even after using iso buster. The 4tb drive shows a completely healthy s.m.a.r.t status via crystal disk check. No sector issues etc. I have backed up what I could onto a new drive, but am wondering if this drive is shot or not? I would never use it for important data again, but maybe for some type of redundant drive. What would be the best way to test this drive because clearly the s.m.a.r.t status shows no issues.... Thanks

I should add that a majority of the files that went bad were at the bottom of my folder list, which is listed alphabetically. I really don't know why that would be since I don't think they are stored on the same sectors internally, it could be a coincidence. Just thought it was weird that all the files that won't play are at the end of the alphabet???

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
First, I'd download Seagate SeaTools and run it on the drive and see what it says. It also has the ability to help you look up your warranty status.

Other than that, chkdsk /B /R works, but you might also download an eval copy of Stablebit Scanner and run it on the drive. SMART isn't enough, really.

I have a crappy Seagate 3TB drive as a "mirror" (Stablebit Drive Pool) drive, it isn't too bad a use for those things. If it fails, it was just a redundancy drive anyway.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Run the manufacturer's diagnostic program. You can download Seatools and run it on your PC in Windows or from a boot CD. If there's an issue then it should result as a test failure. If it fails, note the failure code and then go online and check the warranty status of the drive. If it's still under warranty then you can request an RMA to return the drive for a replacement.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I downloaded seatools and after running it an error for stxcon came up. It looks like it continued to run, but has been stuck on "USB: Scanning for supported drives. Please wait" for a while. I do have a dozen or so drives, but it seems like it is taking quite a while. Is this normal?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I strongly suggest isolating the drive. If it is in a server, take it out and put it in a workstation, solo. I don't like running tools like that on my server. But, if you must, just disconnect all the other drives.

This isn't a USB drive, right? If so, can you connect it directly to a SATA port?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I was able to run seatools on the drive. It passed the short drive test and the short generic test. I have not run the long test yet because I figured it would take a while and I needed my other drives plugged in for something. Is it safe to assume that the long generic test is the only true test of this drive? Do I check to fix all or none of the sectors when I run the long test?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The 4tb drive shows a completely healthy s.m.a.r.t status via crystal disk check. No sector issues etc. I have backed up what I could onto a new drive, but am wondering if this drive is shot or not?
In both the Google and CMU disk reliability studies, almost all of the drives with s.m.a.r.t errors failed soon after, but only about half of all the failed drives had prior s.m.a.r.t errors. Compare it to a flat tire. If a tire looks flat and acts flat, it doesn't really matter what the dashboard lights say. Actual behavior trumps the sensor data.

Are you still under warranty? Did you buy the drive on a credit card that offers warranty extension?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a 4tb Seagate drive that suddenly has about 50 bd iso files not playing. They show in the folder and mount via virtual clone drive, but none of the software programs (vlc, powerdvd, make mkv) recognizes them. [...] They worked fine again for a year but now cannot be salvaged, even after using iso buster.
On the other hand, maybe it's not your drive at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

That was ten years ago...enough time for companies to forget just how stupid that stunt was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts