AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people!

Could you please tell me, what the best way to upmix stereo movies (like TV movies or DivX encoded files with only stereo MP3) to 5.1 "fake surround" is? I want to use it in conjunction with Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

PS: I searched the net for a while, but wasn't able to get the big picture. Most tutorials seemed to be thought for generating some kind of files and not for realtime playback.

Any help appreciated.

Daniel

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Hit the Dolby PLIIx, THX Surround EX, or DTS Neo:6 button on your receiver. Each one of these will create a 5.1 to 7.1 mix from a 2 channel source.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I totally agree. Let your stereo receiver do it but if you insist on having the computer do it then I would recommend ac3filter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have my Vista NVidia HDMI Audio Device set to 7.1 speakers. Any 2 channel source (music, videos, etc) I play on my computer is sent via HDMI to my Onkyo 605 as 7.1 Multichannel LPCM with sound only on FL and FR channels. My Onkyo can't do any processing on HDMI Multichannel LPCM. What can I do in this case?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a seperate A/V preamplifier (LINN AV5103) which does not support upmixing afaik and I also guess, that it could be better done with the enormous processing power of a PC.

To my understanding, AC3Filter simply puts the same signal to each channel with a different volume but does not do any fancy processing like Neo:6 and so.

I really want to get the best watching experience that is possible with a stereo source.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
912 Posts
AC3filter has built-in output profile for Dolby Sorround/ProLogic and Prologic II.

Also a computer is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I'll take a piece of hardware specifically designed to do a task over a general purpose CPU any day of the week. Computer software and hardware can only dream of processing audio the way a well made receiver/amplifier does. Let's not even discuss video like blu-ray.

On a side note, it is kind of hard for me to understand why anyone would want to take an original source and create "fake" output. Kind like taking widescreen movies and insist on wanting the full screen version. I like things in their Original form. The way they were created and intended to be seen/heard.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor /forum/post/15525823

On a side note, it is kind of hard for me to understand why anyone would want to take an original source and create "fake" output. Kind like taking widescreen movies and insist on wanting the full screen version. I like things in their Original form. The way they were created and intended to be seen/heard.

Zagor - I tend to agree with your "fake" output comment for music, but for movies, I consider surround sound (DPL, DD, DTS, etc) as "fake" right off the disk. Remember the VHS and Laserdisc days when we had to take two channel sound and generate the 4.0 surround sound? Today I would like to take 2 channel Pro-Logic A/V sources and create multi-channel surround sound using my Onkyo ARV. Additionally, I would like to take the a 5.1 channel sources (DVDs, HDTV, etc) and create the extra 2 channels for 7.1 so I can make use of all my speakers. Dolby Digital EX was designed to do this conversion.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts