Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

This is probably a stupid question but here it is anyway:

I have a Panasonic widescreen TV and I want to know the best way to view 16:9 content off standard cable. For example, the Sopranos is shown on HBO in 16:9 but I can't seem to find the right mode on the TV to watch it in. The Panasonic has 4 different modes: 4:3 (bars on the left and right), Zoom (picture zooms in), Stretch (picture is stretched across to fill the screen), and JUST (picture progressively stretches from the center).

I thought Zoom would be the best way however the quality gets reduced immensely. All the other modes still have bars on the left/right or top/botton.

Am I dreaming here or missing something?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have had my widescreen since May of 2001

I refuse to watch anything in foolscreen 4:3 only in stretch. I don't even see the stretch anymore, just a beautiful black bar widescreen.

Don't like black bars, read my signature at the bottom.:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Unfortunately, the source you're dealing with is meant for 480-line 4:3 screens, and has those "letterbox" black bars added to the signal to get the original 16:9 material to fit them, so that only a fraction of the 480 lines in the middle are even really used for picture. That's just a low-resolution source you've got, and blowing it up shows it.

Digital HBO by satellite or digital cable might not be this way.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have the HD TWC and receive HBO HD - It is 16:9 on that station, but only 4:3 on the "regular" HBO.

Hope that helps!

Pam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.