AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the usual less expensive companies (so not counting Stewart), which are the best white screens, and which are the best grey?

This may seem too broad and thus a ridiculous question, but I will specify.

Between Da-lite, carada, elite, other screen companies in similar price ranger, who makes the better white screens? People will say well one isn't better than the other because some people need more brightness, some people need more this, that, etc, but that's not what I mean. Assuming your projector has sufficient brightness to light a normal screen with 1.0 gain (give or take), and your HT is light controlled, then, which, according to tests, and according to opinions, have:

• The best color accuracy. As in which screen alters the colors the least from the image the projector sends onto it.

• The best color and brightness uniformity across the screen, as in the least amount of bright spotting, the same brightness and consistency across the whole screen

• The best color pop, wow factor, 3D effect, etc

• The sharpest image (but without more ghosting and shadows around edges)

• The least amount of image and mosquito noise

• The most fluid image, least amount of blur with fast motion

• The deepest, best blacks

• The whitest, most accurate whites

If one screen isn't better at all of these things, or most of them, feel free to answer each specific question with its own winner, and that way people can really compare what screens do well and what screens don't do well in certain areas in a way they haven't been able to before without reading reviews (and there aren't really reviews for every screen, so this can really be helpful), and then people can really figure out what screens fits their needs, and the things they want in their screen, in a much easier fashion than they could before. Right now, if I don't care about black level, or image fluidity, or sharpness, but I do care about color accuracy and pop, I don't know how I'd be able to find out which screen out there is fits the closest to what I care about. I could read some reviews for some of the screens in my price range, but there would be reviews missing for some of the screens I'd be considering. I could ask on the forum, but of the ten people who respond, none of them will likely have seen every screen, some screens no one will have seen, and so I'd be able to rule out a few screens, hear some good things about others, but I still wouldn't have a complete picture of things. Then my topic would die out after a few days or a week or two, and I'd still not know for sure what screen to get. But here, over some time, if enough people respond, it will really help everyone trying to figure out which screen to buy. Every screen will eventually get mentioned, and people will be able to look over the responses and see "well, five people mentioned that this one screen is really good at these various things, whereas this other screen is good at other things," and they will really get a good, specific comparison between each screen, and each important aspect pertaining to screens, and that should prove very helpful.

So moving on, it's the same thing with grey screens. I'll just write it again for the people who want to quote and then respond to the questions so they don't have to copy and paste each question.

Which have:

• The best color accuracy. As in which screen alters the colors the least from the image the projector sends onto it.

• The best color and brightness uniformity across the screen, as in the least amount of bright spotting, the same brightness and consistency across the whole screen

• The best color pop, wow factor, 3D effect, etc

• The sharpest image (but without more ghosting and shadows around edges)

• The least amount of image and mosquito noise

• The most fluid image, least amount of blur with fast motion

• The deepest, best blacks

• The whitest, most accurate whites

So based on those factors specifically, not brightness, or which is better for ambient light, but assuming the projector and room are up to the task like they would be in a screen tester's Home theatre, which objectively performs the best at blacks, whites, color accuracy, color uniformity, sharpness, lack of mosquito noise, and motion fluidity. Then on top of that subjectively there's the matter of 3D and pop, wow factor. But other than that one area, everything else is more the kind of thing where you can't say "well you can't compare screens because each is different." I know they're different, but these are specific areas where you can test and compare them and say objectively one is better than the other, and even if one hasn't tested them his or herself, one may have read results from someone who has tested them, and can convey that, or one may just have a good eye and can say just from having seen the different screens.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
In my opinion, regarding white screens, Carada BW is a steal and probably equals anything else out there. I can only see one advantage of the Studiotek over the BW and that is a bit higher gain. Otherwise the BW is more uniform, has more correct colors and has no sparklies at all.

Regarding grey screens the Firehawk is actually really good and well worth its money. There is another screen called ReAct from Euroscreen which has similar properties for much less money, but it doesn't give the same punch as the Firehawk (less bright).

These are the only grey screens I've seen that is worth mentioning. I wouldn't go for a grey screen without some gain as the picture gets way too dull.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts