AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good brands? Im sort of a hdtv newbie so it would be even better if you can include a model # so i can do some research on it. Im looking for one that has progressive scan and under a $3000 price tag. Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe everything under 40" would indeed be direct view CRT versus rear projector. The Loewe 38" is above your range, the other 38" is the RCA which you can afford and has integral ATSC/Directv tuner.

Next step down are the 34" sets, nearly every brand offers one - the Sharp was excellent but now discontinued.

All support progressive scan. The Sampo is the only one lacking an onboard scaler.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I believe the best HDTV under 40 feet is a D-ILA projector with a Teranex displays a 39 foot image.

:)

Mark

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Check out THIS THREAD for information on upcoming Tube TV releases with very low pricing. The HD market is going to change this fall... For the better.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I checked that thread Matt, why did you say that the 480P 4:3 is for DVD lovers?

I don't watch FOOL SCREEN you had no lol/smile and neither do I for this post only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I bought a 38inch RCA HDTV and returned it, read the other post on why. I am very happy with the 34 inch Toshiba set and I think the picture is excellent both with HDTV and progressive scan DVD's. The only set that might be better is the Sony 34inch 16x9 set which has a retail price of $4000. I got the 34 inch Toshiba set for $2100 and you can buy the Samsung SIR-T150 tuner for $500 right now because there is a $100 mail in rebate.

Rick

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The 480P only sets are great for DVD and meant for people who cannot get HD and have no real plans for it, but can enjoy a nice 480p DVD picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.