AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
LG EF9500 65" | Denon AVR-S720W | Tivo Bolt | Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray | XBOX ONE | APPLE TV 4K
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Hopefully someone has already been through this and can help me.

I would like to convert about 40 MiniDV tapes into a digital format that can be read by my XBOX 360.

I have had good luck downloading various things on the Internet in XVID, DIVX, mp4, and other file formats that are then shared via Windows Media Player and watched via the XBOX 360's video library.

I would like to do the same thing with my MiniDV collection and store the digital files on a giant external drive or two.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/

* Intel Core2 Duo 2.5 GHz T9300

* 8GB of RAM

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

I tried WinDV and Windows Live Movie but neither captured file would play on my XBOX. I got some kind of unrecognized file / codec error.

I don't really care about editing. I just need the best capture program that works with XBOX. Best mix of speed and quality!

Thanks guys!

Dolf

·
UHD Addict
39,188 Posts
You should be able to use the firewire connection between the MiniDV camcorder and the PC to transfer them.

I did this five years ago with my girlfriends Nieces camera to get the video from my Girlfriends Moms 80th birthday party. It was an easy process back then with WinXP so i would think it's even easier now with Windows 7.

Then we edited everything and created a DVD for everyone from the digital files.

Once the files are on the PC you can do what you want with them for conversion to another format.

·
Registered
LG EF9500 65" | Denon AVR-S720W | Tivo Bolt | Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray | XBOX ONE | APPLE TV 4K
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I have no problem capturing the video from the camera into my PC via Firewire. Every single utility I have tried (including the Windows Movie Maker) captures it just fine.

I was hoping to find a utility that would capture it in a format that is readily viewed on my XBox 360 without any further encoding. If I can get away with one step I definitely want to!
Would not look forward to encoding all of those giant files into another format.

thanks,

D

·
UHD Addict
39,188 Posts
There are several programs that will convert from many formats into many other formats. I own one but I'm not sure what the name is off hand and it was not free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts