AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given my old Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop to my parents to use XBMC on their Westinghouse 42" LCD TV. The picture looks gorgeous at 1080p and now I want to help them control it from their couch. They don't have a remote that's anything special. My plan initially is to just use their xbox remote (the old xbox) that they have laying around with an IR receiver that I can have them purchase.

I have had past experience with an IR receiver that came with an old Haupphauge TV card I had and it was awful! The delay between pushing the button on my remote and when the computer actually responded seemed like almost a full second. Because of this bad experience I am wary about buying any old IR receiver I find from googling. Can anyone recommend one or two for me? My budget is

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice! appreciate it

Do you know if that PS3 remote can also be used to control IR devices? ie my parent's television and DVD player? And do you know if that software requires the Sony PS3 remote and not one made by a 3rd party for the PS3?

Also which bluetooth adapter did you buy?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatase /forum/post/18137066

nice! appreciate it

Do you know if that PS3 remote can also be used to control IR devices? ie my parent's television and DVD player? And do you know if that software requires the Sony PS3 remote and not one made by a 3rd party for the PS3?

Also which bluetooth adapter did you buy?

no, if you want a universal remote, the ps3 remote is bluetooth only and will NOT do ir. You'll need a com port type ir receiver and a harmony or something. There is always WinLIRC but it's not easy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the mce remote is great!

snapstream is good as well

the most universal is the usb-uirt

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
You can get the "HP IR Receiver" from eBay for about $15 (search for the quoted name) and install EventGhost for free. With EventGhost you can use the Xbox remote to map its commands to XBMC commands. You can even use an old 80's VCR remote and map them to XBMC if you wish. Whenever they get a universal remote then the same IR receiver will work for that too.

Stay away from any RF or Bluetooth remotes and receivers if you ever wish to use a universal remote.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatase /forum/post/18139627

Just to be sure I don't make a fatal mistake here. Is this the right item?

http://laptopparts.vivotechnology.ne...?itemid=866635

Also, what is the difficulty level in using EventGhost? Is it a pretty simple to use application?

That looks like the one I got from eBay for $13 shipped.

EventGhost is pretty simple. It can be time consuming to map each button to a command. There is a XBMC plugin that will populate it with the commands, you just need to hit each button on the remote and drag that input over to the proper command. It'll make since if you look into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm using Windows XP Pro. Are you using a different Windows OS? I can't find information on how to correctly install drivers for the IR receiver. Can you tell me what drivers you found and used?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.