AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a wireless N gigabit Trendnet router off of newegg, I think it was like 80 bucks, I had the d-link wireless n before but needed to upgrade to gigabit.

I have no problems streaming 720p .mkv's over wireless but not 1080p. Even at wireless N you are going to have some lag. Your best bet to stream HD is wired ethernet. I was only trying to stream over like 10ft with wireless N and I couldn't get a reliable stream with 1080p content.

If you do have any luck let me know what you did, I ended up getting a powerline ethernet kit which is okay but still didn't provide the bandwidth for 1080p. Right now I just stick to streaming 720p, which I am content with esp since my 42 lcd is only 720p.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have the D-Link DIR-655 and it is an excellent router. Great wireless range, good gigabit transfer speed, USB port can be used as a print server, network storage, scanner server.

But you may want to reconsider HD over wireless. Sometimes, you have no issues, but other times you get drops and pauses. If at all possible, run some Cat5e or Cat6 and go gigabit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wireless 1080p? Don't even think about it. It's not there. Prep for it now? Why? By the time it's feasable, the tech will be a lot cheaper and work a lot better.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I second the DIR-655 excellent router. Expensive but it has tons of advanced features if you happen to use/need them.

One great feature that is hard to find data on is loop back, you can host a server with a public domain name ( www.yourname.com ) and use the same domain name to access from both inside and outside the router. I use this for my slimserver... I can access and play my music from ANY PC on the internet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't use power line i used to have the linksys plk200 or something..i couldn't get any HD stream proper and you can't get any full speeds on it. Let me give you my advice, as i was in the same boat a while back. First examine your place is it two floor/or one. If one i would highly suggest to wire connection if you can will save you money and time.

If not and you have to go wireless, look into routers and AP/Bridge adapters that use a 5ghz band, less interference that way. I currently used Netgear WNHDE111 AP/Bridge point. It seems one of them was defected from day one I never made full use of the speeds, so I changed my setup. I used my router WNDR3300 (2.4ghz/5 ghz) as my AP unit and one of the WNHDE111 has Bridge and I am able to successfully stream audio/video(1080p/720p) from my server which is directly under my bedroom to my PS3 with minor hiccups to be accurate like (once every 40 min's or during a high motion action sequence). Always make sure you have the right settings to achieve optimal settings. Don't get too carried away with unnecessary features that you won't be needing since N routers are expensive. I won't say I am extremely happy with my setup but it works for me, it may or not may work for you. Here is a roundup of my setup.

1)Router Netgear WNDR3300 dual band (2.4/5 ghz) stable with FW 1.0.29 (No giga connection)

2)Bridge connected to WHS is netgear WNHDE111 (5ghz only) using Beta FW 1.3.3 (Works real good with the beta FW, kind of sucks its only a Beta FW and not official yet).

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also recommend the DIR-655 router form d-link. IT is an amazing router. However, as others have stated, 1080p will not run smoothly. I can get 720p running smoothly most of the time, but even then, it lags on and off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Newegg has the Netgear WNHDE111 5GHz Wifi-N access point (refurb) on sale for $22 today with coupon and free shipping.

These guys work really well for streaming HD across the home. I'm using a pair of these to push 1080p MKVs from an upstairs HTPC to my WDTV Live downstairs about 50 ft away. They're a cinch to setup and I've been very pleased.

You can buy a pair of these and essentially create their 5GHz Wifi-N Gaming Kit that's normally $100 online or $140 at Frys etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122250

Deal details here: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1823761

·
Registered
98 Posts
I invested in a whole bunch of D-link Dual band stuff. I got the 655 router, and a DWA-556 adapter, and It just wouldn't keep a solid connection. Its less then 20 feet away one another side of the wall. I would try to stream just WMC to my XBOX, also with N, and it was never reliable. I ended up just hard wiring just the streaming PC and now it works alot better. Hardwiring is what we all end up doing anyways. Wireless LAN is for latops and PDAs.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Another vote for using the 5GHz band. I can see something like 15 APs from my house, and they all use 2.4GHz. Since 2.4GHz only has three non-overlapping channels, I know there is a lot of interference. Also, there are cordless phones.

I see nobody else on the 5Gz band. Also, there are more non-overlapping channels, and, AFAIK, the 5GHz band is reserved for WiFi.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Household microwaves can also interfere with the 2.4 GHz band. Not sure about the 5GHz.

Your best bet will always be wired 1Gbps. I'd take even wired 100Mbps over any wireless.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Couple thing:

If you get the DIR-655, watch up with the latest firmware. You can check out their forum, but it seems like anything past 1.21+ is hit or miss. I had horrible luck with it myself and you can't return to 1.21 if you update to 1.3+.

I use MOCA that came with my FIOS setup, and it streams 1080p rips no problem. That is also hit or miss though. I have new cox and only 3 drops in the house, so its pretty solid.

The only really guaranteed method for streaming will be a wire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the d-link dir-655. it can stream a straight blu-ray rip. but not reliably.

however, if you compress the movie it'll play back no problem.

plus, you'll save a lot of space on your server.

i knock them down to 5 gigs which i feel look good at normal viewing distance.

you might want to experiment to see what works best for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts