AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be in the wrong forum if it is which one should I be in for this topic.

I'd like to know what the best wires are for the Samsung hln5065

from wall to Receiver:__________

from Receiver to TV:___________

from Dvd to TV:_______________

Ps2 to TV:___________________

please post what you feel is:

(1) the best

(2) what company

(3) where to get , I assumed monster makes the best but I'd like some suggestions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have mostly Monster cables as I've bought them over the course of several years as I've got new equipment. For the DVI cable, I just bought one from Micro Center.

I did buy a Better Cables component video cable to connect the DVD player. I also bought a Monster cable of the same length, their top of the line cable that was $20 more. I did a/b comparisons and took the Monster back to the B&M. I was very happy with my experience buying the Better Cable. If I were starting from scratch I'd probably buy all the cables I could from them.

As a side note, a buddy of mine in the TV Post Production industry took a look at my Better Cables cable and was impressed; he felt it was of very similar grade to the cables he used in studio.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xxxmarine79
(3) where to get , I assumed monster makes the best but I'd like some suggestions.
Uggghhhh! Monster is so over-rated. They certainly have a good marketing team and are present on most big chain stores. Monster is an average cable in a fantastic package with high prices that make people assume they are better than they really are. I'll admit I've bought Monster cables but only for non-critical connections (VCR's etc.) and only when I was in a bind and had to run to BB or CC.

To be honest most of the cable manufacturers people are likely to recommend are probably fine and I'm sure you will be hard pressed to notice a difference so my preference comes down to finished quality and the quality of the connectors. I like them to be snug but not TIGHT like monster connections usually are. I've also bought the bettercables component set and actually don't care for them.......they perform just fine but the jacket they put them in is stiff and a cheap scratchy plastic, the connectors look like they came from Radioshack and have no type of strain relief on them. They do perform well but the fit & finish is lacking. My favorite cables have always been either from Tributaries or Transparent. Recently on the recommendation of an engineer at Velodyne I ordered some custom made cables from SignalCable.com and was very pleased....excellent cables for the money and he will custom make whatever you like.

Bottom line is it comes down to preference but I feel Monster is way overpriced and is consumer grade, fine for most but by no means the best.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe that the standard Monster cables you can buy from stores like BB and CC are no better than other brands and more expensive to boot. However, what do people think about the high end Monster cables (M Series or better)?

I have a friend who can get M series cables at cost and was wondering if they are worth it or should I spend my money elsewhere.

The previous poster is absoultely right that Monster has done an impressive marketing job; most of my cables are Monster.

Cables don't (or shouldn't) directly modify the signal they carry; so it's wrong to think they can improve the original signal. Cables that offer better performance do so because they do a better job of transferring the signal with less signal degradation and less interference.

I see this as very important for analog signals. However, is this as important for digital signals??

Wouldn't the receiving device just need to tell if the bit coming across is '1' or a '0'??. Signal degradation wouldn't matter in that case, but interference would...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.