AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DIY screen disaster continues. First the spandex I ordered was so creased it looked like a roadmap. Now one of the pine boards I was using to make my frame split, and another appears to be bowing pretty badly--either I failed to notice this in the lumberyard or it bowed while I was screwing in the L brackets ...

Any advice on which wood to get? I thought pine would be good but now I'm having second thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
some , will show the weak pointspictures please

perhaps some right angle stiffening engineering

and maybe use of poplar

your design parameters etc

Reactions: Tangled Cable

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,467 Posts
Kiln-Dried 1x3 and 1x4 Poplar, hand picked, is the wood of choice.

Best found at Home Depot (price and selection) Lowes does not carry the lengths needed.

Sighting down the length, check for both Bows and Twists.

Also, making the exterior Frame be "on edge" using 1x3s and setting in the interior braces "flat" and to the rear of the Frame using 1x4s is probably the best route to take to assure a strong, non-twisting Frame.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I second what MM said. He is the pro here on this. You may need to dig through a stack of wood to find the straight boards. But it will be well worth the effort.

Now if only I saw that on edge thing before building my frame....... and that over stretch of the spandex, and my frame trim.

There is always the frame 2.0 I am dreaming of.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I second what MM said. He is the pro here on this. You may need to dig through a stack of wood to find the straight boards. But it will be well worth the effort.

Now if only I saw that on edge thing before building my frame....... and that over stretch of the spandex, and my frame trim.

There is always the frame 2.0 I am dreaming of.
Yeah, I built my first screen last weekend and before I finished it I had a couple ideas on how to make the next one better. It turned out fairly well, though. The “on edge” framing technique never even occurred to me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses!

Frame 2.0--yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about, xpostal. This is actually my second frame. The first was a "prototype" I screwed together not long ago with some scrap boards left lying around ... strangely enough it's been more successful than my "planned" out screen.

Since I already have the pine (I think I was thinking "poplar" when I was doing my research and then had some sort of mental seizure and switched it to "pine" instead :eek:) I might go ahead and build something with it anyway, the more experimentation the better, right? I have the really badly warped board lined against the bottom of a wall with cinderblocks keeping it straight ... want to see if it will keep this new shape or just revert back. This stuff is surprisingly flexible.

On a slightly different note ... does anyone have more than one screen? I'm thinking of making one for 3D movies--that would be the whiter, brighter one--and a darker silver one for regular viewing. The old screen I made is pretty lightweight and I could easily--sort of easily--just lean it against a wall and cover it with a black cloth when not in use ...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses!

Frame 2.0--yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about, xpostal. This is actually my second frame. The first was a "prototype" I screwed together not long ago with some scrap boards left lying around ... strangely enough it's been more successful than my "planned" out screen.

Since I already have the pine (I think I was thinking "poplar" when I was doing my research and then had some sort of mental seizure and switched it to "pine" instead :eek:) I might go ahead and build something with it anyway, the more experimentation the better, right? I have the really badly warped board lined against the bottom of a wall with cinderblocks keeping it straight ... want to see if it will keep this new shape or just revert back. This stuff is surprisingly flexible.

On a slightly different note ... does anyone have more than one screen? I'm thinking of making one for 3D movies--that would be the whiter, brighter one--and a darker silver one for regular viewing. The old screen I made is pretty lightweight and I could easily--sort of easily--just lean it against a wall and cover it with a black cloth when not in use ...
Since you are doing a frame and spandex, you could cover one side of the frame with white over black or silver and the other side with white over white spandex and have a "reversible screen". The only issue would be hanging the screen because the normal french cleat would be out. The most elegant solution that comes to mind would be magnets embedded in the frame and the wall, but I don't know anyone that has actually tried that except for masking solutions.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you are doing a frame and spandex, you could cover one side of the frame with white over black or silver and the other side with white over white spandex and have a "reversible screen". The only issue would be hanging the screen because the normal french cleat would be out. The most elegant solution that comes to mind would be magnets embedded in the frame and the wall, but I don't know anyone that has actually tried that except for masking solutions.

What an awesome idea! Never even thought of that. Stapling the fabric would be a little tricky since I usually wrap it around the frame but I suppose I could try stapling it to the outer edges ...

As for hanging, I could use eye-hooks on the top I guess ... the screen is very, very lightweight so it doesn't take much to support it.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I'll put in 2cents for wrapping around the first corner and stapling to the top/sides/bottom outside edge..if you weren't already planning to.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'll put in 2cents for wrapping around the first corner and stapling to the top/sides/bottom outside edge..if you weren't already planning to.
I would staple to the outside of the frame as FToast suggests. You could then use quarter round or half round molding painted black around the outside edge of the frame on both sides for a finished look and if you like LED rope lights, you would have a channel between the moldings to use to attach the lights.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts