AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got through mulling over PJ People's policies, and it feels like they're basically taking the ol' Napster defense: hey, we're just passing stuff along. Of course we'll try to be helpful in the event of disaster, but take it up with the manufacturer (e.g., dead pixels) or the shipper (e.g., busted boxes), not our responsibility.

Is this normal for the PJ industry?

Haven't gone through Visual Apex' policies, PJ Point, etc., but I'm afraid it may be similar.

Maybe I should just get it through Amazon for the peace of mind? The great thing about them is that it's always no questions asked, they just take it back, end of story. Of course, they're a billion-dollar company or something like that, so they can definitely afford to be so generous, but still....

So what are the best vendors for worst-case scenarios?

TIA

·
Registered
331 Posts
I haven't had a chance to actually make good on any of my policies but I've recently become a huge fan of squaretrade.com's warranties. Amazon & eBay can sell them directly, however, if you purchase the equipment elsewhere you can get the warranty from their site directly.

One of the things I get a kick out of is how you only need to forward them the email order confirmation or a scanned image of the receipt (if local) and they'll review and append it to your warranty right then and there. Then, supposedly, when/if you make a claim there's no need to go digging for it. And if you're like me, I can only keep track of the receipts currently in my wallet, everything else is past it's point of maintainability.

They'll also sell you a warranty for something you purchased previously, however any accidental damage claims have a 30 waiting period before covered. I just snagged one for my XBOX KINECT post-facto like that so it's staying in the box when not in use, lol.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedBuyer
Just got through mulling over PJ People's policies, and it feels like they're basically taking the ol' Napster defense: hey, we're just passing stuff along. Of course we'll try to be helpful in the event of disaster, but take it up with the manufacturer (e.g., dead pixels) or the shipper (e.g., busted boxes), not our responsibility.

Is this normal for the PJ industry?

Haven't gone through Visual Apex' policies, PJ Point, etc., but I'm afraid it may be similar.

Maybe I should just get it through Amazon for the peace of mind? The great thing about them is that it's always no questions asked, they just take it back, end of story. Of course, they're a billion-dollar company or something like that, so they can definitely afford to be so generous, but still....

So what are the best vendors for worst-case scenarios?

TIA
There's a reason Jason Turk said PP and VA are two of the most respectible vendors out there...PP has a 30 day no questions asked return policy w/ no restock fee on projectors if you stay within 4 hours of usage, and based on many excellent posts on AVS they clearly don't "just pass stuff along".

Reading the fine print on a website and making assumptions without calling the company to clarify is going to make your first projector purchase a very painful one. Pull the trigger! Buy from whomever you want, THEN come back and post about their service (or lack thereof) once you have some experience dealing with them.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
BTW - I've never heard of any reputable company telling someone "not our responsibility - take it up with the shipper" when a package is damaged. That's just ludicrous. Unless, of course, you don't report the damage to them within a reasonable amount of time so they can file a claim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts