AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without taking into account offset the Mitsubishi HC4000 would be my clear choice however because my basement has really low ceilings (around 7 feet will measure later) zero offset would be ideal. What is the best zero offset projector under 1500 if that even exists.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman /forum/post/20898304

Without taking into account offset the Mitsubishi HC4000 would be my clear choice however because my basement has really low ceilings (around 7 feet will measure later) zero offset would be ideal. What is the best zero offset projector under 1500 if that even exists.

In DLP the closes would be a Benq w6000. LCD..take your pick, the Epson 8350 will work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that was fast thanks.

I was looking at them both. I was originally looking at the Epson but the quality control seems a bit questionable. As for the BenQ that looks almost ideal but i have a few questions. Its been out for a while is a replacement expected soon? I heard it gets really load. Is this only in the brightest mode or all the time. Most of the viewing i would do doesnt involve quite scenes so if its quite in at least one mode that would be OK. Is it as reliable as the Mitsubishi? And finally how does it do in terms of gaming lag?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman /forum/post/20898341

Wow that was fast thanks.

I was looking at them both. I was originally looking at the Epson but the quality control seems a bit questionable. As for the BenQ that looks almost ideal but i have a few questions. Its been out for a while is a replacement expected soon? I heard it gets really load. Is this only in the brightest mode or all the time. Most of the viewing i would do doesnt involve quite scenes so if its quite in at least one mode that would be OK. Is it as reliable as the Mitsubishi? And finally how does it do in terms of gaming lag?

I haven't seen games played on the Benq. Drop the unit into econo mode and I wouldn't consider it noisy at all. A good friend has owned one for nearly two years..no problems at all. As for IQ ..sorry Epson 8350 fans..it destroys the Epson no question about it. Adjusting the gray scale isn't tough. I haven't played with the color much. We did use the Iris tweak, it is much less noticeable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sounds good then. You say owned for 2 years. What happened? Was it reliable. Im not looking for this thing to last forever but at least till 3D or something becomes more of a standard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sandman: I am in the same boat as you. My old 720P zero offset pj went down and now want a 1080p with the same offset. I love the Mits but can't make it work so the budget points to the W6000 or the 8350. I have heard good and bad regarding both pj's. The BenQ only has a 1 year warranty and people say to make sure to get a newer model with upgraded firmware that may fix some bugs. Also, several people say they just turn off the Iris to get rid of the noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I dont know what to do. Ill see what CEDIA brings but i dont expect much. The epson 3010 looks alright but I dont have much of a need for 3D at all. I was reading your posts from a few months back and am even more confused. The store near me has the W6000 for 1800 while i found it online for only 1500. I love buying at a store but I didnt want to spend more that 1300 to begin with. Maybe i can talk them down to 1500. If i can thats a deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am at witts end as well and am very close to going down the street to BB which has the 8350 for a good price and then adding on their 4 year all inclusive no hassle warranty and calling it a day. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I was about to do that a few weeks ago until I learned more about the HC4000 now I'm really into the DLPs. I think I'm due for a trip down to the store and see if they can match that price and see a DLP on display to make sure I'm not sensitive to the rainbow affect. If I am that would make the decision much easier. What will you mainly use yours for? I watch a lot of sports and video games so I'm trying to stay away from 3LCD if I can. But I'm at the point where I'm not sure if my untrained eyes could even see the difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would like to stay with DLP as well. I had the BenQ PE 8700 for five years and never had a problem with the picture just the bulb and then the circuit board went out and here I am. I just read a great review at projectorreviews.com of the W6000 though. The latest review states that they have upgraded their firmware which helps with their biggest problem which is the Iris so that is good. Ive seen it advertised for 1500.00 so may pull the trigger on that one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for making you second guess your decision haha. So many possibilities. Ok It probably doesn't matter as much for you then im watching action sports with ambient light at times. So I want the brightness of the BenQ and the lack of motion blur from DLP im just really hoping my store can match the price. Or maybe ill have them throw in an 5 year extended warranty ($475) for free that would make it worth it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Second guessing is good, especially before spending a large amount of money. I just did a search for the W6000 in these threads and there is a good one that was started a while back but has current responses. Check it out yourself. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have a local store that displayed the 8350, the w6000 and the LG 115 I think all together using the same signal on the same wall. I tried to tweak all three to look equal but the colors of the w6000 popped. That is a wonderful looking projector, if you can catch a deal on it you'll be very happy. The store here wants 1899 for it.

BigAve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.