AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - That's it. You all look like you're having too much fun, so I think I have to jump on board and finally pick up a Replay unit this weekend. Question - does anyone think the 3 year extended service/replacement plan from Best Buy (probably $70 or so) is worth it ? I'd rather put the $$$ towards the lifetime Replay service plan if the extended warranty isn't worth it.

I always turn it down, except on TVs (since I've had innumerable problems over my lifetime with TVs) .... anyone experience severe hardware failures after 1 year on the Replay units that would have benefitted from a replacement plan ?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The most common part to fail in a ReplayTV is the hard drive. When they do fail, many people opt to just replace it themselves, rather than be without the ReplayTV for weeks (or months) to send it in for repair.

The other consideration here is whether you could get Best Buy to take the lifetime activation into account if a replacement becomes necessary under the extended plan. Since they don't sell the activation, it could be a problem.

-Gary

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, Gary - good question. Never even thought of that. You mean if they need to replace the unit, would the lifetime activation follow it, or would they cover the cost of reactivating? Hmm. I might check that out with SonicBlue before buying to see whether they would reactivate a lifetime subscription on a new unit if the original fails. If not, certainly doesn't seem like the lifetime plan is worth it.

My experience is it's useless asking a Best Buy associate, because they generally don't know a thing and will just tell you "yes" to get you to buy (which of course is fun for me as I can then argue misrepresentation and/or fraud by an agent if I ever feel like suing them).

·
Registered
202 Posts
A while back I read of a few people with older units that came with lifetime subscriptions that were sold at best buy quite a while ago with the replacement plan getting their subscriptions put in on the new unit with lifetime, but that is thing that SB would do not BB.

A small note you do take a chance when getting the BB plans but some people do pay off. A few people bought old showstopper units and now have newer replay units after the showstopper went bad. It all depends on whether they will replace or fix the unit. If they fix the unit it could take a few weeks to get back.

It is your choice. I would bet most people here would put the money to lifetime subscription rather than the BB plan if they had to pick one of them.

Also if you are getting at BB this weekend, did you read the 10% off coupon that they have for preferred customers? If you do not have one ask around to people that shop there often. They are only good 12/6-12/8. If you get the coupon you may have enough to get both the BB plan and lifetime subscription. (for more information see post on this site today)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I think its much better to not get the extended warranty. If something happens to your unit, you can send it back to SB to be fixed and pay them to fix it or replace it, and they'll transfer your activation to the new unit without any hassle to you.

With BB, they probably won't transfer it and the warranty money will go straight down the drain.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Does Amazon.com sell warranties for ReplayTV units? I know that GoodGuys.com does.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I think if you have ever put a new hard drive in a computer before you shouldn't even consider getting an extended warranty. The chance of anything else dying on the Replay is very remote, and the hard drive is very easy to replace.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice... I'm going to follow my own (usual) advice and forego the warranty, especially if SB can replace or repair units and transfer activation at a reasonable charge.

The only products I've ever got the warranty with are televisions (which constantly fritz out around the 2 year mark) and cordless phones (Best Buy will replace even if you drop it on the ground, which happens alot between my wife and my 3 year old son).

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am in regular contact with one of the chief buyers at Best Buy. To date (as at 19th November), they have no deal with Sonic Blue re activations under Warranty. They do have a deal with Tivo activation that is covered in their BB Warranty.

Anyone at Best Buy who tells you the Warranty will cover Sonic Blue ReplayTV is wrong. Tell them to talk to one of their bosses and contact Mr Koestler, (James) within Best Buy. I will post when best Buy inform me different and will chase them regularly.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I have to disagree with others. We bought a Tivo in February of this year. It died in July, we had gotten the service contract from Circuit City. We took it in and they shipped it off to their center for repair. Their repair center could not fix it after two weeks, they said they would ship it to the manufacturer. They did, after another two weeks the repair center said they had not looked at it yet. I complained to Circuit City, but they were unable to get another Tivo in stock or they would have given me one.

That was just as ReplayTV started offering the monthly subscription. Thus the price of the ReplayTV fell to that of the Tivo, since I was doing monthly on the Tivo it worked out great. They exchanged it for a ReplayTV 4504 (more recording space and more Techie features). The store was REALLY good about everything. Granted we were without a PVR for a bit more than a month, but we ended up getting a better system out of the deal.

If you plan on doing upgrades to the system yourself obviously do not get the extended warranty. But if you are not, and you plan to go on the monthly plan go for it.

Considering the MTBF for these devices, and that if you are going for the Monthly plan, I would recommend the warranty.

I went with the Monthly plan simply because I felt that it was not only possible but, unfortunately, likely that by the time you had paid for for lifetime subscription the company's may not be around. Looking at Tivo now, if it can build up partnerships I may be delightedly wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.