AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the delayed post, just got done watching the game. Anyway, this morning when I went to BB to get my Buy 1, Get 1 Free Blu-ray discs, I noticed that Chris, the Regional GM of my area was there doing some sort of a training. Since I buy a lot of equipment from his BB's, he and I have got to know each other pretty well over the last few years.

I told him I was there for the Blu-ray deal and we naturally started talking about the format war. So I asked him who was doing better in his stores and he said since late November Blu-ray equaled HD-DVD in software sales and since mid-December Blu-ray has outsold HD-DVD by a 3 to 1 margin. He mentioned that the Blu-ray software is really picking up steam and is selling 15% to 20% more week over week.

I asked how the hardware sales were going and he said taking the PS3 and Xbox Add-on out of the equation he was really not selling either format very well. He said last week regionally they sold 7 Samsung BD-P1000's and 2 Sony BDP-S1's and 3 Toshiba HD-A2's. On a side note he mentioned that he expects PS3's to be back in-stock in his stores this week with as many of 50 being delivered to each store.

He definately seems to be very knowledgable about how each format is producing in his stores and seems to be very interested in how they are performing as well. That is pretty much all that I could squeeze out of him since he was short on time.

~Josh

·
Registered
72,411 Posts
You show me yours and I'll show you mine: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=786917 .

To be fair though, today I went to a couple of BB stores and for the first time that I've seen the BD movie shelf was half-empty on both stores. Usually it's the HD-DVD that shows signs of movement, but this Sunday they were fully stocked while the BD was all out of the two-for-one-promotion movies except for 'Kung Fu Hustle' and 'Underworld: Evolution.'

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/0

Josh, just curious, do you know the going price for the Samsung BD-P1000 at your local BB?

Yes, they are at $799.00.

~Josh

·
Registered
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

Sorry for the delayed post, just got done watching the game. Anyway, this morning when I went to BB to get my Buy 1, Get 1 Free Blu-ray discs, I noticed that Chris, the Regional GM of my area was there doing some sort of a training. Since I buy a lot of equipment from his BB's, he and I have got to know each other pretty well over the last few years.

I told him I was there for the Blu-ray deal and we naturally started talking about the format war. So I asked him who was doing better in his stores and he said since late November Blu-ray equaled HD-DVD in software sales and since mid-December Blu-ray has outsold HD-DVD by a 3 to 1 margin. He mentioned that the Blu-ray software is really picking up steam and is selling 15% to 20% more week over week.

I asked how the hardware sales were going and he said taking the PS3 and Xbox Add-on out of the equation he was really not selling either format very well. He said last week regionally they sold 7 Samsung BD-P1000's and 2 Sony BDP-S1's and 3 Toshiba HD-A2's. On a side note he mentioned that he expects PS3's to be back in-stock in his stores this week with as many of 50 being delivered to each store.

He definately seems to be very knowledgable about how each format is producing in his stores and seems to be very interested in how they are performing as well. That is pretty much all that I could squeeze out of him since he was short on time.

~Josh

How big of a region does he manage?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet /forum/post/0

How big of a region does he manage?

I beleive it is the Sothern Colorado region, but I am not 100% sure. If so, it is probably around 6 stores or so.

~Josh

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
It is interesting that you post "information" contrary to EVERY other BB story that is out there. BB here on LI also state that HD>BD by about 2:1 according to the managers.

Your posts as usual are suspect and far from objective.

Besides that is in Colorado - 6 stores for a region??

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/0

It is interesting that you post "information" contrary to EVERY other BB story that is out there. BB here on LI also state that HD>BD by about 2:1 according to the managers.

Oh, I had not read any other threads here in the Blu-ray section that mentioned BB sales.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure how many stores make up his region. I was not including Denver. If it includes parts of Denver or all of Denver, then it would many more.

~Josh

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/0

Same in my area, Best Buy and Future Shop (according to the sales staff) is selling much more HD DVD than Blu-Ray (apparantly a lot of PS3s are being returned as well, did not ask why though). Imo this might be one reason why you'll see Buy-1-Get-1-Free promos on Blu-ray movies to try and raise the numbers up closer to HD DVD.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDS9E /forum/post/0

Best Buy needs to start restocking the stores already. The one in Westbury, LI has been out of a ton of titles on both formats since the holidays

Agreed! I'm getting pissed that I can't find movies for either format.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I just don't see it here in SW Chicago...HD DVD is ripping the ass out of BD. Today after the Bears game (Go Bears) me and my son went on a buying frenzy for BD and HD DVD movies and PS3 games. We went to 3 BB's and they all had a lot of BD in stock except the ones for buy one get one free promotion where as all the HD DVD movies were in short supply. They also had a ton of BD players in stock with some that were open box specials. They also had a lot of PS3's in stock. I have been to a least 10 stores in my area in the last month and there is no doubt BD is not selling no were near as much as HD DVD. Everybody I talk to say the same thing BD is not selling. I have both and support both but honestly I am starting to feel...BD is in a lot more trouble than HD DVD.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDS9E /forum/post/0

Best Buy needs to start restocking the stores already. The one in Westbury, LI has been out of a ton of titles on both formats since the holidays

That is true. There are lots of titles that have been out for some time that BB has NEVER had in stock.

Crank, from a Canadian studio, hasn't arrived despite the web site saying it would be released on Jan 9.

Annoying. I ended up making an Amazon.com purchase of a bunch of MIA titles.

Gary

·
Registered
359 Posts
Its just some formats are selling better than others

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
There's very little that can be gleaned from visiting one store in one area. You need data over a period of time from a variety of locations across the country. BD might be outselling HD in Colorado but not in Illinois.

The only sales figures that have any sort of scientific validity are the fox ones and to a degree, the amazon trends. All show a close race after HD DVD lead comfortably for the early months with BD pulling away in the coming weeks

·
Registered
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

There's very little that can be gleaned from visiting one store in one area. You need data over a period of time from a variety of locations across the country. BD might be outselling HD in Colorado but not in Illinois.

The only sales figures that have any sort of scientific validity are the fox ones and to a degree, the amazon trends. All show a close race after HD DVD lead comfortably for the early months with BD pulling away in the coming weeks

dvdempire.com has blu-ray ahead at this moment in time. But as fox said, they saw blu-ray sales pull ahead by 20% the week ending December 24th.

I read somewhere that the majority of HD-DVDs are purchased on Amazon, but I can't seem to find a source for this.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

The one that isn't selling as well

Yep. Even the most HD-DVD biased sites are reporting that Blu-ray is out selling HD-DVD.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.