AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this... and lost the thread due to "website issues" so here it is again

Recently purchased a new home ( 100 year old home actually) and my wife and I were looking at different things when house shopping, and my big sticking point was "I Need a HT room!"

I'm sure I'll have mistakes, and discoveries along the way......

I KNOW THESE PICTURES HAVE BEEN POSTED BEFORE...... I'm making a "Build Thread" to track progress, and archive my "journey"

Quote:
Background: what I have, where I'm going, etc......

I am currently watching Blu-Rays with my PS3 on my "main theater" which happens to be a living room..... anyways, because my son is crawling etc.. I usually ruin my sound-stage with foot-rests blocking the center channel and components, and subwoofer!!!!

My current t.v. is a 37" 720p Sharp Aquos.... nothing too special, but it was free!

I recently sold some B&W 703's to a friend, so my current equipment/speakers are

B&W 705 (will be fronts)

B&W HTM7 Center

B&W DS7 surrounds

B&W 686 Rears

Def Tech 14" reference sub

Marantz 7001 AVR

Sony SACD player

Remote/power conditioner etc.

I found out that a large Big-Box store was practically giving away projectors, in particular, the Mitsubishi HC-1500, so I picked one up.

I have my new 25 foot HDMI cable at home now, and I have a ceiling mount being delivered in a few days. (UPDATE, DELIVERED) I also have 6 yards of Blackout Cloth sitting there waiting be cut in half (minimum order of 5 yards, so I ordered enough to be able to get two 100" screens) I plan on framing it up and using it "as-is" and getting the velvet "tape" to add a border, so I'll make the screen about 106" or so..... (UPDATE... SCREEN IS COMPLETE!!! Pictures Coming soon!!! SEE DETAILS BELOW)

ANYWAYS. My dedicated theater is an attic space, that's completely finished (only room in the house with carpet, it has a full bath, separate storage room, recessed lighting etc)

I'm having an electrical outlet installed in the ceiling. (UPDATE GOING TO FEED THE WIRES THROUGH A HOLE IN THE WALL, AND INTO THE SPARE ROOM)

Either way, that's about it.... thanks to this site, I'm on my way to a much bigger picture (the 37" aquos is the biggest display I've ever owned... previously had a 36" Vega)

I wanted to convert my finished basement in my current house for the longest time, but it was an accoustical nightmare, and I never tackled the project.....

Also, I took the projector out of the box to "test it" and shot it at a wall, and even with lights on, it was stunning..... can't wait to get this bad-boy running!!!

On a side note, my current bed-room setup (which will become the new living room setup in the new house) consists of 5 B&W M-1's, and a marantz SR 5001 and another PS3.... no sub.

O.K. Let me consolidate some more posts, to give a little more info about what I've decided I need to do to the current room etc......

Quote:
Quote:

I have complete light control, and a 14 ft. throw distance, so I created a 110" screen, that I'm going to cut down a bit by putting the black-velvet-tape border on it...... The screen is completed (came out great.... I actually can't believe I did it!) but not hung yet.... of course the equipment etc. isn't in the new house yet, so it'll be a couple months still probably.

I went with the BOC screen, with finished-pine 1x4's and braces, in addition to extra corner/cross supports..... it's very sturdy.... The Frame is 54" from top-to-bottom and I was still able to stretch the BOC over, and staple to the back-side of the frame (wasn't an easy task doing it alone!) There isn't a wrinkle etc... and it is ONE TAUGHT screen!!! (EDIT I did the brighter-white side out....)

Next steps are to remove a ceiling fan that's in the way..... Paint the room a Dark/Flat color, and install my window treatments. (basically sealing the entire room off)

Then, the house has 2 Central Air Units, and 2 Forced Air furnaces (there was a 1,000 ft. addition added, and it has it's own systems) The only problem is, the Attic, although completely finished, with a full bath, separate room, etc... doesn't have vents running to it, and it just has an electric in-wall heater.... so I will be getting a small window-unit A/C for the summers when I want to watch movies etc.... Not the "best" way to address the problem, but it's probably the easiest, and since it's on the third floor, you won't be able to see the window unit from the street etc if I put it on the side of the house.......

O.K. that's it.... Attached are a couple photos of the house, and the room.... Kinda sad that amongst the 3,500-4,000 Sq Ft, all I get is the hot-attic !!!!

Work will be slow, since moving in will take awhile, as we have multiple contractors (ext. painting, raising/replacing porch, windows, plumbing etc) doing work on the house.... it's all in the early stages. We purchased the home as a foreclosure, and it was maintained for 97 years of original owners/family and then in the past 3 years someone purchased it and rented out rooms, and let the place fall apart basically..... and now thanks to a market flooded with foreclosures, it's ours......

The wall the Screen will be mounted on is to the LEFT of the wall with the Heater that is pictured.....

The wife and my son.....

Me and my son in the Gazebo behind the house (there are handicap ramps on the side of the house, and back of the Gazebo due to the previous owners)

I'll update with more room, and screen pictures soon. As I said.... just looking at the blank screen, in all it's glory.... I can't believe I'm going from my little 37" t.v. to this monster, but it should be fun!!!! I'll look forward to tips etc.. when I get more pictures of where the components will go, the room I'm running the cables to.... where I'm mounting the projector, etc.

EDIT:::::

also,

I only have 14' for throw distance, and the room is probably 18' x 18' and 8' ceiling..... and I lose a lot of distance for throw because I'm mounting the projector on the ceiling where a flat wall is (with rooms behind it) and projecting to a slanted wall.... so the screen will be hung from a point that will leave 3' behind it or so..... making the throw distance 14' or so from lense to screen.

I will get a picture of the wall where the seating area will be ect... and the bathroom/bonus room/component area etc.

I'm going to try to get over there in a couple of days to get more pictures.... I have things going on today after work, so I can't work on the house today

EDIT::::::

Had to pick up mail that was sent to the house, so I got a couple of pictures.....

SCREEN: It's just leaning against the wall.... I'm going to mount it to the angled section, and leave a couple feet underneath it to place my center channel.......

This is the area where the components will be..... it's an added space behind the staircase kind of....

This is the wall, above which the Projector will be mounted on the ceiling... keep in mind the ceiling fan will be taken out...... To the left, you'll see the "storage room" door for all of my media..... more on that room with the next picture.

O.K. This is what is behind the wall where the seating will be, and behind where the projector will be.... What I'm planning on doing, is cutting out a rectangle at the top by the ceiling, trimming it out, and putting the projector BACK into the hole about 2-3 inches... not much I know, but it'll knock out some of the fan noise, still allow the unit to breath, and I'll be able to run all the wires down the wall, and cut another hole that will lead right to the "Component area" shown earlier..... all-in-all a very clean approach I think. You can see by my hand, and halfway up my wrist, that it's about 15" from the wall I'll cut out, to the chimney (gas fireplace 2 floors down, no issues there) There is never a tape measure when you need one

**SNIP**

MORE UPDATES TO COME

!

Very minor.... insignificant update:

We had an interior designer come through the house, and many colors and design ideas were worked on over a few hours....

Here are the "theater colors" via Sherwin Williams.

Black Magic # SW6991

and

Brevity Brown # SW6068

I'll be painting the ceiling, Trim, Bathroom and storage room doors, and some accents (like the dividing wall for the staircase etc) in the Black, and painting the walls Brown.

A contractor also came out, and is set to "break-ground" on some other stuff in a week and 1/2 or so.....

Mostly since the House is 100 years old.... there are obviously slight problems here and there..... All stuff we knew about thankfully....

The front porch, which has a 1st-floor level, and 2nd floor level, is tied into the front of the house, and the foundation on the porch is "turned out" and the posts on the front of the porch (10 feet tall, 12 inches around, fluted... there are four of them) have crushed through the porch flooring and themselves, and dropped the overall front of the porch by 3 inches or so..... (this is what we call NEGLECT!) since the porch is tied into the house, it's pulling the front of the house down (causing the 2nd floor windows to be out-of-square)

not a "major" problem, but something that needs addressed before we can replace windows etc...

The contractor is going to get beams, put them in place around the top of the porch, Hydrolically jack-up the porch back to level, dig new footers, put in new foundation (The foundation on the house is PERFECT thankfully!) Then they're going to replace all four pillars (ouch) and all of the floor joists, and decking..... then reconnect the top, railing, etc.....

More updates to come!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well..... here are the reasons I haven't been able to do any updates on the theater yet...... I'll start throwing up some mud tonight (hopefully) I haven't even broken out the drywall/plaster tools yet, so I have to see what I need to run to the store to get...... I have touch-ups (nail holes, minor cracks, door-knob-smash-ins, etc) in pretty much every room..... mostly just screw-holes from shelving/pictures that were hung in all 6 bedrooms, the kitchen, closets, bathrooms etc... and the Living room, family room, and dining room are all now stripped of wall-paper, so I'm going to get estimates from a plasterer to finish all of those for me, and depending on cost, I may just stroke a check to have it done quickly...... The porch is really coming along nicely

My completed walls/coved ceiling/ceilings

I'm obviously terrible at taking pictures.... if I contributed to the "screen shot" thread, I'd convince people to run out and buy VHS

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here's the front, and side-view.... and I'll give the "how-to" (or at least the "How I did" explanation)

O.K. as stated earlier, my theater is far-from ideal, as it's a converted attic space..... well, with sloped walls it makes hanging a DIY screen kinda difficult, but here is what I did..... I found the studs, measured and drilled into the studs, and attached metal "eyes" into the wall..... then I connected blocks to the back of the screen (four screws in each since I couldn't drill very far into the screen frame because I didn't want to come through the other side) and into these blocks, I screwed in large metal hooks.....

So yes.... My screen is "floating" on the wall with a Hook and Eye configuration..... THe picture (second one) makes it look like I hung it crooked etc.... but that's just my poor photography skills!!! it looks great. Now I need to pull the screen down, paint the wall black, and the hooks/eyes black, paint the ceiling etc.... remove a ceiling fan, install other goodies and equipment, and mount the projector..... It's coming along, but I have so much going on with the house I haven't been able to spend any time on this room.

I still want a black velvet border for the screen, but I'm going to determine how wide of a border to get after I fire up the projector.

Also, I left plenty of room under the screen to put my center channel.... A big concern was the HTM7's top mounted tweeter, and stand I have (I don't have enough room in my current setup to use the stand, and it set me back $400 or so, so I'd like to use it)

HOPEFULLY more updates to come.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the updates guys......

The door on the second floor leading to the theater.... you can see a MESS down the stairs on the landing from the plastering that is going on, and this door needs to be removed, painted, etc..... but this is the entrance right now

what you see when you open the door..... black/brown... sorry for my camera work..

TURNING THE CORNER AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS...... there she is!!!

Looking back Down at the stairs..... my vintage 1940's EXIT sign letting people know that the fun has to come to an end!!!!

Projector wall.... you can see where the cables run into the room behind the wall, and out the side wall.... all of the components will go into that area...

Close up of the projector mounted inside the wall, between the two rooms... need to trim it out still.....

You can see I painted the leading edge of that wall, the trim, etc.... black, the rest is brown..

Nothing is connected to the projector, so I just have the menu screen

some more pictures of my black/brown scheme.....

I can't believe I didn't get a picture of the front with the screen off.... the ceiling and front wall is black, the side walls are brown..... it looks SHARP...

Anyways.... more updates to come (with completed porch pictures!!!!)

I CAN NOT WAIT..... to put my blu-ray player and audio equipment in the room....... I'm giddy!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I cannot see the pictures at work, I wlil comment when I get home

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/14477541

I cannot see the pictures at work, I wlil comment when I get home

you're not missing much!!! Updated post #2 with "other people's" progress
and a little of my own.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The porch picture was awesome! Can't wait to see more pics!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
updates in post #3 !!!! Will try to get pictures of the new porch soon too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I "mostly" painted the theater room.... (against the wife's wishes, but she's alright with it now) She wanted me to do EVERYTHING else first..... if that was the case, the theater would never get done!!!!!!!!!!

The Black and Brown combination I chose for the theater looks GREAT.... only problem.... is that with the hallway etc... I ran out of paint, and will need more.... other problem, was Sherwin Williams only has their "durabond" paint in a Matte finish, not Flat.... but it looks plenty flat to me, and besides, the ceiling and wall for the projector are BLACK.... I even painted the recessed light fixtures black on the inside/outside.... so I should be alright. The texture on the walls that I couldn't stand looks GREAT now that the room is beginning to transform into a theater...... When I get back in town I'll throw some more paint up, and take some photos.

Work is coming to a halt as we're going on vacation for a week..... the plaster people will be picking up a key from me, and starting monday, so hopefully when we come back into town, the two main rooms, staircase, foyer, and upstairs hallway will all be plastered, and yes...... READY FOR PAINT
anic:

Updates will come..... S-L-O-W-L-Y but surely

the porch ah....yes... the porch... it's missing the railing, and pillars.... but here it is, in all its "Primer" glory

since these were taken, lattice etc. were installed. The 4x4's are still holding up the porch though

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOTS of updates in post #3...... and for you "Porch junkies" The new columns are on.... I just need to snap some pictures.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
beta man you rule

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/14707797

beta man you rule

ha... yeah right... the work you did was far more impressive......

I just "tweeked" what was already there

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of pictures, so here it goes.....

Here is some of the fine work from the paster guys......

This is the disaster that is our dining room (lots of stuff stored here right now! )

The outside, with the obligitory "porch picture"

Another porch picture..... columns are just primered right now....

The house is like me..... PLASTERED

Our bedroom....

Our son's bedroom.....

Another Bedroom...

Yet Another Bedroom.... This one has a porch off of it (back of house)

Off the back porch is the gazebo, and the garage way in the back.... mostly covered by a tree that we need to remove b/c it was hit by lightning.

The OLD porch

Temporary black-out-cloth to block windows in stairway of Theater...

Light on...

Theater storage room...

Theater bathroom.... (no energy to paint this room right now.... just not a priority...)

Dude working hard so I don't have to!!!!!

Part of the addition hallway where the set it up for a computer.... lots of outlets, phone line, etc...

Addition bathroom...

Addition "in-law-suite" that we'll be using for out t.v./family room

Addition Hallway looking from the new "T.V./Family" room.

That's it!!!! hopefully I can get more updates, but most of the stuff isn't picture worthy (most of this wasn't!!!!! )

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hung some wall-art.... and framed in the projector "hole" but there is one more thing I'm working on currently..........

I have an old sled.... very old.... anyways, I am making a pattern so I can paint "Rosebud" on it, with the flower of course, and hang it in my theater..... I'm starting to think the pattern would look better on the outside of the theater door though, as I'm apprehensive of hanging a large sled in my theater....

Anyone have thoughts on this??? I "Could" painted the sled pattern on the wall, but I'm not that skilled artistically, so I don't want to make it look cheesy.... (as if a sled on the wall isn't cheesy enough)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Beta Man, that's a LOT of work! Very nicely done. Regarding the sled, if you did hang it inside the theater where exactly where you thinking of hanging it?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 /forum/post/14750630

Beta Man, that's a LOT of work! Very nicely done. Regarding the sled, if you did hang it inside the theater where exactly where you thinking of hanging it?

Probably hang it under the projector, above the seating position..... haven't thought too much about placement yet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius /forum/post/14763475

Looks good so far. Really like your house. They don't make them like that any more

Thanks!

Currently an entire crew is scraping and prepping the house for painting, repairing and reglazing all of the windows (I'm replacing the broken counter-weight ropes) and repairing/replacing any damaged wood..... it's been a big project, that's for sure!

Here's the "Wall Art" pictures...... they're on the wall when you get to the top of the steps.... I thought it looked good.... They're black, gold, and silver

Also a picture of the black-velvet tape to finish up the screen

black velvet tape is great

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Sweet!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts