AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I've been thinking of creating this application for about a year now and finally got off my butt and started working on it...

I wanted to create a very customizable HTPC GUI that would allow easy navigation, launch applications and have a few bells and whistles...

At this time I think I am quickly approaching a Beta state... And need to line up some testers...

Types of Configurations needed...

Be able to test various HDTV Resolutions

Internet connection on HTPC

Caller ID Capable Modem

Remote Control IrMan / Grider etc..

PocketPC with Wireless connection.

Excellent communication skills... :)

Here is a early pic of the interface...
Screenshot

Some Initial Features:

Configurable Application Launching

Keyboard Based Navigation

Remote Control Support

Custom Interfaces

Caller ID

XML News Feeds

Local Weather

MP3 Playback / Navigation

Internet Based Control (PocketPC, etc..)

Any Takers? Looking for around 10 people...

blondon
[email protected]

·
Registered
983 Posts
Looks to be a nice interface! I wish I had all of your harware requirements as I'd apply. If you are open to people who have a few of your requirements, let us know. I'd still like to use an interface like yours, be great for WAF.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I'm with PGPFan - got it all but the wirelessly connected PocketPC, although I have a Win CE based ePod and 5 other computers in the theater room.

Does it work with a subset of the equipment?

By the way, that is a real nice UI.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Off topic-

Mark, I didn't forget about you and the multi-monitor info. A death in the family took me out of town till today. I'll email you monday am with the info.

I hope that this 'front end' pans out, I really like the look and feel of it.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well I have everything except a Caller ID modem in my two HTPC's. Instead I have a Cable modem so there is no need for an outdated analog modem. Can you please explain why I would need a caller ID modem ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
CallerID modem would be so the control app could tell you that the telephone is ringing and probably show you phone #, name, etc. Could even do a lookup to see who is worthy of interrupting your movie :)

jeff

·
Registered
514 Posts
Unemployed Software Quality Engineer willing to help. I don't have HDTV or a modem, but I can test 800x600 ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the features are not required... I will need to test users without various components also... I will look over the responses and decided from there.. This isnt a first come first serve.. I need to be able to put the app through the wringer and make sure all of the functionality is tested...

CallerID Capable Modem is for exactly what greenhut described...

The internet control is pretty simple... I only have an Ipaq and I am going to build a similar style interface to control it via a wireless network... I've also thought of some PHP or CGI based controls for people with epods or Audreys etc...

Seeing that almost every function has a keyboard assignment, the internet control listens on a user defined port and executes the assinged command..

Thanks for the interest...

Brad

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
blondon,

I've got everything on your list including PocketPC and epods. Only thing I don't have a CallerID modem in my HTPC; it's in another computer. I get callerID information over the network using CallerIDSentry , which I wrote as freeware a while back. If you're interested, I could provide assistance on integrating support into your front-end to make it a network client of CallerIDSentry in addition to your local callerid support. Let me know if you're interested.

As for testing, I'd be happy to help out, but I may not always have a lot of spare time because I've got quite a few things going on these days.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Blondon,

One vote for JKohn's idea. My callerID modem is also in another machine. If I could send the info. over the network, it will prevent the hardware swapping to pull this off.

Nice feature idea....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Let's see.

I've got the wireless pocketpc, and most of the rest, except for the caller-id modem, and girder. I use a Pronto and airboard, and haven't seen the need for Girder/IRMan. I do have a "Bird" IR emitter hooked up to my computer, but haven't done much with it yet.

I do a fair amount of my automation using Milori's Dilard program.

I'm pretty happy with my setup, automation wise, but would love to check out your program, if you're interested.

Thanks!

- Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
is this gui'd app for a pda device, or for the htpc itself, and if so, why not make it an opensource application to foster further development/ideas from members in the forum.. just some suggestions..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is exclusivly an HTPC GUI application... However, I have built the needed hooks into the application to allow TCP/IP Control...

I am also building a PocketPC control app this would allow a wireless PocketPC, control the HTPC GUI as if it were a remote.

Hope this clears some of the confusion.

Brad

·
Registered
93 Posts
i think you should concentrate on the app itself, because the other features (tcp/ip, slinke etc support) has already been done very very extensively in the form of Girder, an object oriented system control application. I think you {we} should concentrate on the application itself, instead of the application controlling other devices..

double digit posting numbers rock!! ;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Soopaman:

Girder can do TCP/IP? I don't think so. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I disagree that PocketPC based control would't be useful. To me, this would be huge. I think this would be the biggest value-add vs. existing control applications, out of everything that Brad has mentioned.

The difference between PocketPC/IP based control vs. any kind of IR based control (including Girder), is that with IP, you can have two-way communication. This would give you the ability to remote control things like your MP3 jukebox software. You can't do that with any IR based control, without hard-coding knowledge of your jukebox database into your remote control.

Wouldn't it be great to browse and play your mp3's from your remote?

- Dave

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave T

Girder can do TCP/IP? I don't think so. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Consider yourself corrected ;)

There is a TCP/IP plug-in that allows you to send commands to girder over TCP/IP. I'm not sure as to the details as I haven't implemented it (yet).

I know that some of the girder team are also working on a self contained web server with image and scripting support to allow web-based control of girder, but AFAIK, this is still a work in progress.

I have to agree with Soopaman - the biggest piece of the 'puzzle' that is missing is the GUI. Automation and control is better left to Girder which is extremely flexible and already commonly used. Why reinvent the wheel?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Without wanting to state the obvious Talisman does a fine job at GUI creation and implementation as well...

I use Girder and Talisman side by side for application control and launching by either IR (could be many other inputs including TCP/IP) or GUI...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.