AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a simple NAS drive as a band aid solution until I am able to build a NAS box myself. Right now the only "network" drive in my house is the hard drive connected to my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, and its connection to the network is not reliable. So I am looking for something I can connect directly to my router to stream shows and music.

The two available in stores immediately are the WD My Cloud and the Seagate Central. I have read several reviews on both, and while the My Cloud seems to be more flexible as far as tweaking and folder organization, it is also more expensive than the Seagate Central, though not by much.

For the time being, the drive would be used mostly for streaming media to devices on the network, with perhaps storage of commonly used files that my wife and I use (budget stuff). Once I build a NAS, this current drive would be used solely for shared files, with streaming duty put on the built NAS.

I assume people here have used at least one of these drives. What has been your experience, and which do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010  /t/1522952/bette-choice-western-digital-my-cloud-or-seagate-central#post_24493315

I am looking at getting a simple NAS drive as a band aid solution until I am able to build a NAS box myself. Right now the only "network" drive in my house is the hard drive connected to my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, and its connection to the network is not reliable. So I am looking for something I can connect directly to my router to stream shows and music.

The two available in stores immediately are the WD My Cloud and the Seagate Central. I have read several reviews on both, and while the My Cloud seems to be more flexible as far as tweaking and folder organization, it is also more expensive than the Seagate Central, though not by much.

For the time being, the drive would be used mostly for streaming media to devices on the network, with perhaps storage of commonly used files that my wife and I use (budget stuff). Once I build a NAS, this current drive would be used solely for shared files, with streaming duty put on the built NAS.

I assume people here have used at least one of these drives. What has been your experience, and which do you recommend?

I can't comment directly on either of these NAS products but I purchased the WD My Book Live (2 TB) just before the My Cloud product was introduced. I wanted something to store my DVD's on (movies which aren't out on Blu-ray yet) and I didn't want to have my upstairs computer on constantly. Connecting the My Book Live (MBL) to my router couldn't have been simpler, the network saw it right away. There are different folders to store movies, music, pictures and data so it has been a good all-around choice for me. I use the MBL in conjunction with my WDTV Live streamer. I can easily access the MBL from any of my Windows and Mac computers. FWIW even though all hard drive companies have some failure rate problems it seems of late that Seagate has had more than its share based on the many user reviews I've read.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1522952/bette-choice-western-digital-my-cloud-or-seagate-central#post_24493454

I can't comment directly on either of these NAS products but I purchased the WD My Book Live (2 TB) just before the My Cloud product was introduced. I wanted something to store my DVD's on (movies which aren't out on Blu-ray yet) and I didn't want to have my upstairs computer on constantly. Connecting the My Book Live (MBL) to my router couldn't have been simpler, the network saw it right away. There are different folders to store movies, music, pictures and data so it has been a good all-around choice for me. I use the MBL in conjunction with my WDTV Live streamer. I can easily access the MBL from any of my Windows and Mac computers. FWIW even though all hard drive companies have some failure rate problems it seems of late that Seagate has had more than its share based on the many user reviews I've read.

I'd probably go with the My Book Live if I could still find one where I live because of the price. I've been leaning towards the My Cloud though since it seems more complete overall.

Was it hard getting your files onto it as far as speed? My desktop is wireless, so the router sits separate from everything else. Did you transfer everything over the network, or did you connect the MBL to your desktop using an Ethernet cable to do the initial transfer?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010  /t/1522952/bette-choice-western-digital-my-cloud-or-seagate-central#post_24493870

I'd probably go with the My Book Live if I could still find one where I live because of the price. I've been leaning towards the My Cloud though since it seems more complete overall.

Was it hard getting your files onto it as far as speed? My desktop is wireless, so the router sits separate from everything else. Did you transfer everything over the network, or did you connect the MBL to your desktop using an Ethernet cable to do the initial transfer?

I didn't mean to dissuade you from buying the WD My Cloud, it's the heir apparent to the older MBL. I was just passing on my experience with a WD NAS. However I should add everything is connected via ethernet cable, no wireless involved. Even the computer in an upstairs bedroom is connected with a Netgear Powerline 500 adapter. My Buffalo router is an older model and is not gigabit capable so it can take 5-10 minutes to move a typical DVD file from computer to NAS.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1522952/bette-choice-western-digital-my-cloud-or-seagate-central#post_24495977

I didn't mean to dissuade you from buying the WD My Cloud, it's the heir apparent to the older MBL. I was just passing on my experience with a WD NAS. However I should add everything is connected via ethernet cable, no wireless involved. Even the computer in an upstairs bedroom is connected with a Netgear Powerline 500 adapter. My Buffalo router is an older model and is not gigabit capable so it can take 5-10 minutes to move a typical DVD file from computer to NAS.

I know you didn't. But if it was an option I would get the My Book Live since it is cheaper, and I don't need the outside access that the My Cloud provides.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My experience....

I first bought 3Tb MyCloud:

- Looks great

- super easy to set up

- Really good desktop and mobile apps

- Fast transfer (for my network)

- Has a really nice backup feature

The HUGE fail was that it started disconnecting from my network at seemingly random intervals and not rejoining (the ethernet lights at the back of the device would be out). I tried every trick I could find in the forums, static IP, set port forwarding, change cables, set up as only device on network..... made no difference, sometimes it would stay connected for 1 hour, sometimes 2.

I bought it so I would not have to be a network engineer to get it working......

I seem to be not the only person suffering this, according to WD forums.

Other people don't seem to have this problem, but many do.

So it was returned to the store...... I have better things to do TBH

Next, I bought the Seagate Central 3Tb (it was also on sale):

- super easy to set up

- has NEVER lost the network, despite being accessed by the whole household streaming stuff.

- I never had to tweek anything for it to work (though I have now added it as  static IP, just because).

- However the mobile app is absolutely aweful

- It is also limited on security options compared to the WD MyCloud. Nothing I would worry about personally, but it would be nice to have more control.

- Remote access is shockingly bad, pretty much unusable over 3G, whereas the MyCloud worked really well over 3G (same router, same time of day, same upload speed).

- Noisier, ie the WD MyCloud was pretty silent (even when it worked), with the Seagate I can hear alot of clicking and whiring from the drive.

Conclusion:

- I am happy with the Seagate because it does what I mainly wanted:

1) Stays connected to my network

2) Streams content to all devices in my family really well over the home network.

- However, the control and features of the MyCloud were IMHO better.

- So if WD fix their device I will buy a MyCloud, but probably in a year or so, I'll just keep my eye on their forum....

- If you buy a MyCloud and it works for you, IMHO it is the better device. But the Seadate does do what it says on the box....

Just my experience. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was your My Cloud losing its connection to the network on a direct connection, or through a wireless connection?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Your information is valuable!

I have an older version WD My Book World.

It has the exact same problem, some time it lost connection, hang up. This is the reason I am looking for a new NAS now.

I have upgrade the firmware several time, searching all forums and cannot find the answer. I guess the problem lays in the OS of WD NAS.

In my local city, WD has done a great marketing by putting their product in all shops, the only alternative is Seagate, it looks like I have to choose seagate this round.

·
Registered
2 Posts

It is NAS, I don't think any one cares about "direct connection",  most likely plug to the switch or router.

By the way, the USB link of WD is also very slow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts