AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently downloaded the trial of PDVD 11 and the audio on blu-ray playback seems to have more impact than TMT, particularly in the bass department.

I am comparing the same movie in both players with the player volume set to 50% on both.

Any one else sampled both of these running through an AVR?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain /forum/post/20843451

Recently downloaded the trial of PDVD 11 and the audio on blu-ray playback seems to have more impact than TMT, particularly in the bass department.

I am comparing the same movie in both players with the player volume set to 50% on both.

Any one else sampled both of these running through an AVR?

are you decoding on the PC, you should be sending DD/DTS/DTS-HD/DD-HD to the receiver in which case the player will not matter

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20843489

are you decoding on the PC, you should be sending DD/DTS/DTS-HD/DD-HD to the receiver in which case the player will not matter

I am bitstreaming to the AVR and I agree in this case, the player shouldn't matter. The thing is - When I stopped watching Blu-ray movies on my PS3 (slim suports bitstreaming) and converted over to HTPC using TMT5, I lost some minor audio quality at the same AVR volumes.

MPC always seemed to regain that audio quality and the same with PDVD11.

Running 2 subs and I can absolutely tell on the Bass.

I have put all players volume at 50%. Could be that the others are boosting volume??

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It`s impossible to "loose" audio quality when bitstreaming. Bitstreaming sends the untouched DTS-HD/TrueHD etc. stream to the receiver, it`s tehnically impossible to loose information from the stream this way. Are you sure you were not decoding the tracks and sending the PCM stream to the receiver (you`re receiver should be displaying "MultiCH IN" instead the TrueHD/DTS-HD etc. ) ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez /forum/post/20843646

It`s impossible to "loose" audio quality when bitstreaming. Bitstreaming sends the untouched DTS-HD/TrueHD etc. stream to the receiver?

Losing "quality" it's not the best word. I guess I'm just noticing a variance in volume from all the different players.....maybe 15-20% lower with TMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez /forum/post/20843646

Are you sure you were not decoding the tracks and sending the PCM stream to the receiver (you`re receiver should be displaying "MultiCH IN" instead the TrueHD/DTS-HD etc. ) ?

No, TMT5 (with my vid card) flips back to PCM frequently between movies. So am constantly setting it back to orig audio/bitstream.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20843656

Why not try J River Media Center (free trial). They are said to have the best audio available, and now that they added Red October (Lav Splitter/Filters and MadVR) possibly the best video playback too.

See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62033.0

Thanks for the heads up. That looks perfect for music playback. Definitely going to check it out.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
PowerDVD 11 also flips back to PCM. I have to go into settings and make sure it is set to bitstream original audio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.