AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm a newbie to this forum, but been reading for a while and would appreciate any input. My situation - have a home theater built into my basement. Had it for about 5 years and looking to redo it (I plan on upgrading projector, new screen, new paint job, etc). Was also hoping to improve the audio. I'm far from an audioholic so I don't need perfection, but I need better than I have. I have a home theater in a box that was good when I bought it in 2003 (Kenwood 600-Watt Dolby Digital) http://www2.shopping.com/xPO-Kenwood-HTB-505 . My budget for audio is about $1,000. My question is should I stick with the old surround sound system I have and have my room acoustically treated, should I replace the system and get some partial treatment done (1st reflection and bass trap), or just upgrade to a nice new system in my untreated room. Which would be the best use of my budget? Thanks,

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
If it was me, I would get the room acoustically treated first, and than buy a decent sound system later. I would do this because when and if you do get a better sound setup, it will sound its best right away. But I would urge you to buy a better system eventually, because, no offense, that Kenwood needs to go!

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Agreed, room first.

That will give your current system maximum opportunity to sound good. Upgrade your equipment later.

Your other choice, replacing your equipment now, puts you in the position of not knowing how good it could sound until you fix the room anyway.

So,

1) treat the room and get the best sound out of your current system, or

2) don't treat the room and get ???? sound from new gear.

You know, it actually could sound worse with new, better gear in a bad acoustical environment.
Good equipment can really bring out a room's flaws.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. That was my thought but wanted to see what others thought. Acoustic treatment research time.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveStud /forum/post/18315312

Acoustic treatment research time.

There are lots of great choices, including DIY if you have more time (and skill) than money. However, I wanted straightforward, ready to install products and found these guys to be very good value and quality.

www.acoustimac.com

Service was really good on a shipment-damaged panel.

If you can get them in your budget, don't forget diffusers too. You won't want your room to be too dead. They can be unnecessarily expensive, but there are many inexpensive ways to get the same result as the pricey ones.

Good luck!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If your not an "audioholic" why would you want to acoustically treat your room? obviously you get better sound but if your budget is under 1k for everything i wouldn't even begin to think of doing that to your room. I also feel that unless you have speakers 2k or over its not even worth considering buying a amp/processor/preamp.

If you want the best bang for your buck do a bit of research. then scan craigslist on a regular basis with patience until you find speakers that are really nice but cost a lot less. and build your own system. buy yourself 2 fronts and a center channel and a new AVR. use your kenwood surrounds for the time being then upgrade to better surrounds.

If you want to straight up buy a new 5.1 system go with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 or the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 System and an AVR.

If your gonna acoustically treat your room i would get a setup costing WAY more than 1k

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was in a similar boat as you (started with a Kenwood HTiB as well), and just upgraded pieces over time as budget & time allowed. I replaced my front speakers first, which made a big difference, because the HTiB speakers were quite anemic really in hindsight. I think you'd get the biggest bang from doing the same. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gertjan is right grovestud. If you currently have a cheap crappy system and you spend 1k on a 5.1 system or maybe even 800 on a the front 3 you will notice a HUGE difference. much more than just acoustically treating your room. acoustics isn't gonna make your speakers sound better it will merely create a more believable surround environment and a more realistic soundstage. however a 1000 dollar upgrade in speakers is going to create an even MORE realistic soundstage and environment as well as improved audio quality

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 /forum/post/18326040

Gertjan is right grovestud. If you currently have a cheap crappy system and you spend 1k on a 5.1 system or maybe even 800 on a the front 3 you will notice a HUGE difference. much more than just acoustically treating your room. acoustics isn't gonna make your speakers sound better it will merely create a more believable surround environment and a more realistic soundstage. however a 1000 dollar upgrade in speakers is going to create an even MORE realistic soundstage and environment as well as improved audio quality

Actually, you might be surprised, the room is arguably more important than the speakers. I would do some minor treatments in the room first. Here is my reference: Floyd Toole

This is one of the first things I learned on AVS, I thought my Monitor Audio's were too bright but did some simple room treatments and they sounded much, much better, I could do more, but it's a living room in a 1BR apt. so choose not to. I have since upgraded speakers and that made a dramatic difference too, but less so.

Here is a test: Bring out a bunch of blankets, pillows, clothes and randomly strew them around your room, listen to the music, did it make a difference? If so then your room needs treating - I am poorly paraphrasing Paul Scarpelli's advice.

Ron

·
Registered
448 Posts
oh yeah. i know its definitely important...idk seems like maybe this guy should probably upgrade speakers...you have more experience than me so i wont argue to much haha

I watched a movie called hustle and flow and in it the guy is trying to become a rapper. so he sets up a studio in his house and they staple basically those coffee holders all over the wall...basically egg cartons made for hold 4 cups of coffee, you could try that

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18326207

Actually, you might be surprised, the room is arguably more important than the speakers. I would do some minor treatments in the room first. Here is my reference: Floyd Toole

This is one of the first things I learned on AVS, I thought my Monitor Audio's were too bright but did some simple room treatments and they sounded much, much better, I could do more, but it's a living room in a 1BR apt. so choose not to. I have since upgraded speakers and that made a dramatic difference too, but less so.

Here is a test: Bring out a bunch of blankets, pillows, clothes and randomly strew them around your room, listen to the music, did it make a difference? If so then your room needs treating - I am poorly paraphrasing Paul Scarpelli's advice.

Ron

I agree with Ronaldo, if you have a dedicated theater that is layed out for 5.1- $1000 won't go very far if you spend it on electronics or speakers. I would treat the room first. $1000 towards acoustic treatments will be money well spent. That is, if you intend to continue to invest in the room. Check out ATS Acoustics, if you're handy you may purchase material and build your own panels and bass traps.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--DIY...ials--102.html

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not saying don't do treatments. But if you have to choose, knowing the quality of the Kenwood HTiB speakers, i'd upgrade the front speakers first to get the biggest bang for the buck. In my own personal experience, the Kenwood HTiB speakers are really not that great, and no room acoustics are going to make them sound as good as some decent speakers.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 /forum/post/18329306

yeah i guess if you continue to invest in HT it wouldnt be a bad idea.

What are bass traps?

Actually they are acoustic panels that absorb sound. A better explanation can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_trap . The people here can probably go more in depth than the wiki. I wouldn't use the bass trap shown above. You need to fill it with a lot of bass to absorb sound. Stick with the cloth covered fiberglass insulation bass traps.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-deaf /forum/post/18329427

Actually they are acoustic panels that absorb sound. A better explanation can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_trap . The people here can probably go more in depth than the wiki. I wouldn't use the bass trap shown above. You need to fill it with a lot of bass to absorb sound. Stick with the cloth covered fiberglass insulation bass traps.

Thats not a Bass trap but more of a Snapper Trap.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-deaf /forum/post/18329427

I wouldn't use the bass trap shown above. You need to fill it with a lot of bass to absorb sound. Stick with the cloth covered fiberglass insulation bass traps.

Plus it starts to stink and you soon forget about how your system sounds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts