AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony LCD's quality about to be dragged down a bit in quality with today's announcement of Merger with Toshiba and Hitachi for LCD screen production? Well that will remain to be seen but I'd expect some sort of decline in the quality of Sony Badged TV's once merger is completed in 2012 based on the lower standards already displayed by Toshiba and Hitachi. This in fact could very well have an effect across the entire market and production of all LCD manufacturing companies for Brands like Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc....will no longer have to work as hard to keep up or stay above the Sony brand any longer. Again, this will remain to be seen but I'm hedging on the side of this merger not being a good thing for the consumer in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiami
Sony LCD's quality about to be dragged down a bit in quality with today's announcement of Merger with Toshiba and Hitachi for LCD screen production? Well that will remain to be seen but I'd expect some sort of decline in the quality of Sony Badged TV's once merger is completed in 2012 based on the lower standards already displayed by Toshiba and Hitachi. This in fact could very well have an effect across the entire market and production of all LCD manufacturing companies for Brands like Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc....will no longer have to work as hard to keep up or stay above the Sony brand any longer. Again, this will remain to be seen but I'm hedging on the side of this merger not being a good thing for the consumer in the long run.
News flash. I used to work as a rep for Sony and although their flat panels offer excellent PQ, their quality control is far from outstanding. I've never seen more equipment come back when I sold their car audio line and their home products aren't much better. Toshiba on the other hand, has always been pretty dependable. Combing Sony's technology with better quality control will hopefully provide the consumer with a better over all product.


Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
It's "Sony Mobile Display" that will be sold to Japanese goverment , not "Sony's TV business".


The new company - Japan Display , will not only focus on small LCD panels , but also on OLEDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Are you the same person who wrote the CEPro article headline "TV Brands That Fail Most & Why"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiami
Sony LCD's quality about to be dragged down a bit in quality with today's announcement of Merger with Toshiba and Hitachi for LCD screen production? Well that will remain to be seen but I'd expect some sort of decline in the quality of Sony Badged TV's once merger is completed in 2012 based on the lower standards already displayed by Toshiba and Hitachi. This in fact could very well have an effect across the entire market and production of all LCD manufacturing companies for Brands like Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc....will no longer have to work as hard to keep up or stay above the Sony brand any longer. Again, this will remain to be seen but I'm hedging on the side of this merger not being a good thing for the consumer in the long run.
I don't understand the purpose of your thread .. what you state is pure speculation, based on no information since nothing has been produced .. quality could just as well improve ..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,424 Posts
Telltale signs of a Sony ho. They're generally the last brand I seek out (with Ian listing several of the reasons why). Pioneer used to be my #1 choice, but they seem to be imploding as the economic collapse continues unabated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20889395


I don't understand the purpose of your thread .. what you state is pure speculation, based on no information since nothing has been produced .. quality could just as well improve ..

Actually, real information was stated.


And the real information is this has zero implications for home-theater-sized televisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/20892085


Actually, real information was stated.


And the real information is this has zero implications for home-theater-sized televisions.

The only real information I see is the merger .. the rest is speculation ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20889395


I don't understand the purpose of your thread .. what you state is pure speculation, based on no information since nothing has been produced .. quality could just as well improve ..

The purpose of my thread was to make the consumer aware to keep an eye out for the "posibility" of an even further decline in the quality of an already floundering Sony Brand due in part to this merger. Purely speculation is exactly right and I've made no mystery of that fact with the statement "will remain to be seen"- no hidden agenda-no nothing for you detectives out there looking for the secret message here, there just isn't one, it's just a damn post. Yes, it is also quite possible the merger could result in a better product-better quality control being achieved also...but I (personally) wouldn't bet on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/20888874


News flash. I used to work as a rep for Sony and although their flat panels offer excellent PQ, their quality control is far from outstanding. I've never seen more equipment come back when I sold their car audio line and their home products aren't much better. Toshiba on the other hand, has always been pretty dependable. Combing Sony's technology with better quality control will hopefully provide the consumer with a better over all product.


Ian

No newsflash to me, I've been fully aware of Sony's decline in Product, Service, Quality Control and Warranty areas for more than a Decade now. The last Sony product I purchase was an AM/FM/CD player that was sold when I got rid on my 1986 Firebird and BTW that deck was junk too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech /forum/post/20889349


Are you the same person who wrote the CEPro article headline "TV Brands That Fail Most & Why"?

I have no idea what the he!! your taking about or making reference to here or it's relevance to this topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiami /forum/post/20897176


No newsflash to me, I've been fully aware of Sony's decline in Product, Service, Quality Control and Warranty areas for more than a Decade now. The last Sony product I purchase was an AM/FM/CD player that was sold when I got rid on my 1986 Firebird and BTW that deck was junk too.

It's funny you mentioned that Firebird. I had a 87' formula 350 bird that spent more time in the shop then it did on the road.



Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiami /forum/post/20897152


The purpose of my thread was to make the consumer aware to keep an eye out for the "posibility" of an even further decline in the quality of an already floundering Sony Brand due in part to this merger. Purely speculation is exactly right and I've made no mystery of that fact with the statement "will remain to be seen"- no hidden agenda-no nothing for you detectives out there looking for the secret message here, there just isn't one, it's just a damn post. Yes, it is also quite possible the merger could result in a better product-better quality control being achieved also...but I (personally) wouldn't bet on it.

If Sony sells "Sony Picture" to another company , do you think that would affect Sony's TV division ?


Sony Mobile Display does not manufacture anything for Sony's TV division and they don't share plants or personnel. I really don't know why you should worry about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear /forum/post/20897402


If Sony sells "Sony Picture" to another company , do you think that would affect Sony's TV division ?


Sony Mobile Display does not manufacture anything for Sony's TV division and they don't share plants or personnel. I really don't know why you should worry about this.

I believe he was inferring that this was a negative trend.



Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiami /forum/post/20897186


I have no idea what the he!! your taking about or making reference to here or it's relevance to this topic.

You can't write either, but what the heck; I'll try to answer in words you can understand.


The way it reads, your headline: Better buy your Sony TV's now...Sony just merged with Toshiba and Hitachi infers that either there won't be three separate companies (very untrue) or that Sony TVs will not be made by Sony any more (also untrue). That totally conflicts with the actualities:


* Sony is not merging with Toshiba and Hitachi; just their small LCD panel division.

* Sony doesn't make that great a TV to begin with.

* Sony doesn't even use all of their own LCD panels - some TV models use Sharp panels.

* If you had bothered to actually read the article, you would have noticed "Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony are set to pool their small-panel liquid-crystal-display businesses into a new company".


There's no need to get mad at us for pointing out the fallacy of your post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
Seriously, this thread is dumb. Why? Because it uses some loosely related information to conclude something else entirely.


It'd be like starting a thread that said, "Apple's record profits portend strong Q4 GDP".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/20892013


Telltale signs of a Sony ho. They're generally the last brand I seek out (with Ian listing several of the reasons why). Pioneer used to be my #1 choice, but they seem to be imploding as the economic collapse continues unabated.

I read "Telltale signs of a Sony ho", thought about it for a few seconds, made sure i read it right. Then looked at your name, thought about Vinnie in "My Cousin Vinnie", then read your "meh" ccomment and laughed...
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top