AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I was just wondering for all the people that have listened or auditioned to both Axioms and Rockets to chime in with their thoughts and why one is better than the other. I'm about to do a major overhaul in my HT and can't decide if I want to go with the Axioms or Rockets. I do about 90% of HT so that's why the center speaker is so important. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have heard both. Although they are both very good, I personally preferred the RSC-200 (bigfoot)

The VP-150 has a couple of advantages (in addition to its price) over the RSC-200 - smaller in height (7.5 inches) and better vertical dispersion i.e. if the center channel is placed well below the TV, the voices appear to come from the characters better. However I found that "sss" was very pronounced in it and it did not have the heft (fullness or bass) of bigfoot.

The RSC-200 is outstanding in every respect and the only downside (IMHO) is that it is slightly lacking in vertical dispersion which can make a difference if you sit close to it. Voices are very natural, clear and I think this is the real jewel in the Rocket lineup.

As with everything else, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
petiteface said it very well. I have not been able to a/b them side by side and maybe someone else here has and will share their feelings. The best thing to do is order them both and try them in your environment and with your equipment. People place too much weight on shipping something back for a few bucks. Think about it... this will be a set of speakers that will be with you for a long time. In the overall scheme of things whats a bit for shipping. If it was me I'd order them both, which ever one wins you keep and get the rest of the set (both companies will still give you the whole set price) and your out a bit. Now if your not in the U.S. shipping charges and all the other charges that go with it may not make this work. What ever you wind up with please come back and let us all know.... inquiring minds you know....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the best thing to do is maybe audition both sets and see which one I prefer.... but the bad thing is I won't be able to a/b comparison. I just wish I could go into a store and be able to test them but both being internet-direct companies.... oh well.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thats hard to do having no store but you know what.... going into a store is not that great either. Even the high end stores in my area are not set up properly and again it could sound completely different in your room. That matters alot. For the price and performance you get from these internet based companies its much cheaper to do it this way and you are going to get a better speaker for the dollar. I am talking in the 3K-4K range for a whole set up. You go above that then there is a pretty big jump up to the next level. Just takes alittle longer and your out a few bucks. Look back through this forum for past Rocket and Axiom posts. I have updated everything in my hometheater over the last two years mainly from word of mouth from forums like this. You have to weed the good and bad ones out and you can pretty much tell the rest. I have yet to be dissapointed. New receiver, 2 DVD players, DVD recorder, Tivo, TV, CD recorder, remote (by the way the MX500 is the best out there) and the list goes on. I have had Atlantic Techs, NHT, JBL, and ages ago Kenwood speakers. Actually wish I had those old Kenwoods back for some rock and roll stuff. I'd never go back to store front speakers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yep just too bad that there is NO retail center speaker that comes close to either of those for the money.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
We only have several what I would call good audio shops in our entire metro area. One will let you take something home if its open and they don't need it for a demo. The other one quit doing it as stuff would come back looking used. Obviously other areas may be different but I dont think most of us have that option unless you live like in LA or NY or something like that. The other thing again most upper end audio shops are not into discounting anything unless your buying a whole system, speakers, amp, Pre/pre and such. And to second the above post... you really are going to have to look very hard to beat the Onix Rocket 200 for a center. You may be able to do it but not at that price point.

·
Registered
553 Posts
"yep just too bad that there is NO retail center speaker that comes close to either of those for the money."

blkwrxwgn,Now Now,Just how do you know this..Companys like Monitor Audio,Paradigm,Klipsch,B&W and So many others make centers that can compete with these at that price point.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46minaudio
"yep just too bad that there is NO retail center speaker that comes close to either of those for the money."

blkwrxwgn,Now Now,Just how do you know this..Companys like Monitor Audio,Paradigm,Klipsch,B&W and So many others make centers that can compete with these at that price point.
okay....i'm sorry.........bad blkwrxwgn.

actually when I think about it.............as a package the rocket center is around $500................the Axiom is $350.................NOPE not much out there that good at that price! :D ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
"The other thing again most upper end audio shops are not into discounting anything unless your buying a whole system, speakers, amp, Pre/pre and such."

MRL thats just not true..I bought a 2 Ch pre and got about 20% off msrp.Im was also looking at a new Mits RPTV they came off 20% without batting an eye.However when buying one needs to ask for these discounts..

"And to second the above post... you really are going to have to look very hard to beat the Onix Rocket 200 for a center. You may be able to do it but not at that price point."

Beat it,How? Low end, dont most use subs with centers!The way it sounds,Doesnt preference come into play here some where?

Im all for Internet direct products but some of these comments are way overboard..

·
Registered
48 Posts
As an Axiom owner and based on all the reviews I've read here, at Axiomaudio and AV123 forums, I'd imagine they are very different sounding centers. Axioms are generally considered more forward while the Rockets are considered somewhat laid back, so I'd imagine the centers follow suit.

Depends on what you're looking for in sound. Truthfully though, you don't hear many complaints from owners of either product.

Both Axiomaudio.com and ********** have message boards where you can try and hook up with owners in your area.

Frank

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46minaudio

Doesnt preference come into play here some where?

Im all for Internet direct products but some of these comments are way overboard..
Everybody here know's that people have other preferences. Those are my preferences and don't have to be yours but this is where it get's tricky..............................how can you tell me that MY preference is wrong??

If somebody here wants to tell me that they heard the Rocket Bigfoot and then thought that another center for the same price sounded better then good for them! They found what they are looking for but some of us have heard the Rocket and many others and just prefer the Rocket center to the others they have heard.

I think in that price point you have some pretty good brands like PSB (heard their center and it sounded very boxy to ME), Monitor Audio Bronze (actually haven't heard it but I love their silver and gold lines!!), and many others.

·
Registered
553 Posts
"Everybody here know's that people have other preferences. Those are my preferences and don't have to be yours but this is where it get's tricky..............................how can you tell me that MY preference is wrong??"

I agree 100%...Thats the point I was trying to make...

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MRL
Did you guys completely miss my post about being able to try different brands in your own environment? I'll stand on my position.
MRL...you know how these threads go. All of a sudden, the blinders come out. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have no idea what you are talking about MRL.

;)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yeesch! Outrageous claim Blkwrxwgn. The Axiom is a vinyl wrapped, 17lb center that only goes down to 85Hz +/- 3db. It may be a good value, but I could name a half dozen or so retail speakers that are as good or better at comparable prices.

Axiom could also use a little better sales diplomacy. Last time I talked to someone at Axion they told me that Rockets were all "rolled-off and dull sounding." I guess even the Internet folks sometimes get into a little mud-slinging?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Marketing 101... never knock the competition. Always just explain your own strengths. If you do knock the competition you show weakness in your product. BTW... same thing happened to me from them.

blkwrxwgn.. we are on the same wave length I think... Its a personal preference in listening but you need to do it in your own environment with different brands. That was my point.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
>>>Axiom could also use a little better sales diplomacy. Last time I talked to someone at Axion they told me that Rockets were all "rolled-off and dull sounding." I guess even the Internet folks sometimes get into a little mud-slinging?Marketing 101... never knock the competition. Always just explain your own strengths. If you do knock te competition you show weakness in your product.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.