AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new TV. I have done a LOT of research when it comes to the size and type of TV that would be best for me. I have decided on a 50" class (50-58inch) since I will be viewing 8-10feet away, and I believe I should go with a LCD vs. PLASMA because of the room "lighting". I have a WALL of windows facing south in my living room, so they are full of light all day.

Okay, with that said, I don't really know who makes the best TV or better quality tv. I know it is all subjective, but I come here looking for suggestions as I haven't bought a tv since 2004, which I just picked a random TV at a "warehouse" store.

I would like to pick your brains in hope of making an informed decision now.

I am interested in the LED LCD since they seem to be the new trend, and then I have to decide "Edge lit" or "backlit" I suppose BACK LIT IS BETTER???

SO I AM LOOKING AT THE FOLLOWING:

SHARP LC-C52700UN vs. SAMSUNG UN55B8000

Of these two models, what are the considerations or things I should know?

ARE THERE ANY OTHER COMPETING TV MODELS IN THIS ARENA???

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Back lit is better, especially if the set has "local dimming". The Sharp is backlit but is not local dimming. It should have less flashlighting and clouding than the Samsung. Both have shiny screens however which could be a problem when watching dark scenes in a brightly lit room. You might be better off with a set with a matte finish screen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Steve.

So "local dimming" is something I WANT? But it could cause "flashlighting"?

Shiny screen vs. matte screen I understand. But most of the matte screen tv's I see are plasma -- and if I go plasma, I lose the brightness I think I need for daytime TV/Movie watching (in a bright room)?

HMMM.. Any suggestions of TV's to look at? Aside from the two I have listed above?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^The UN55B8000 is edge lit and does not have local dimming. Local dimming doesn't cause flashlighting. By matte finish screen I'm referring the the dull, non-reflective look of most non-Samsung LCDs. Turn off a Sony and a Samsung B8000 and note how mirror like the screen is on the Samsung vs the Sony.

If your budget will stretch about the best LCD on the market right now is the Samsung UNxxB8500. It is led backlit with local dimming.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
The Samsung LN55B8500 is a very good TV, and it is still around for $3,100. The model is discontinued and the best sources are drying up, but this is a good store: ABT via Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55B8...8167823&sr=8-1

Personally, I found the much less expensive Vizio 551 XVT to have great picture quality. The newer 552 may be available at Costco, where you would get a 2 year warrranty and a third year if you use an American Express card.

The 551/552 are both back-lit and local dimming.

Vizio is now shipping about as many LCDs as Samsung and Vizio is considered a top-tier brand by Consumer Reports. Vizio is as reliable as Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba based on 118,700 surveys of LCD sets purchased between 2006 and mid-2009.

Note that there are the reports of failing power supply capacitors right after the Samsungs are 1 year old. How wide spread that is and whether it has been fixed is unknown.

At my local Sams club, the 55 inch 551VXT had the best picture quality of all the sets on display.

Also note that the store salesmen make extra money, called a spiff, when they sell Samsung.

Steve S knows all about the Samsung spiffs.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would go with a backlit set personally. There have been some reports of uneven backlighting with the edge lit displays from both Samsung and Sharp.

Local dimming means just that since each LED is a light source, their light output can be varied to match what is on that area of the screen at any given moment and give you better blacks by not illuminating the areas where they don't need to.

I would go with the Vizio mentioned above if it is available yet as well. This set I think is the one that was first shown at CES this year. Local dimming LED and a good price.

There is also a Toshiba that is LED backlit, I don't know if it is local dimming or not. Not sure of the model, but I think it is a 675(?). They make a good set and Toshiba is now the top selling set in Japan, so they have overtaken Sharp in their home market and that says something.

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh... I was mis-informed. The guy at Best Buy told me the UN55B8000 was backlit but the 6000 and 7000 were not. Maybe he was crossing the 8500.

Okay well I suppose I should go for a local dimming set then.

I found the VIZIO Model VF552XVT at Costco! Is this the set you mention above, I see you mention 551 and 552 so I assume this is the one to keep an eye on.

Thanks again for all the advice!

EDIT:

ANOTHER IMPORTANT QUESTION: I notice with a lot of the TVs in the 120-240hz range that the motion looks "FAKE" and I think they coined the term "soap opera". Good for sports I suppose -but am I able to turn that feature OFF on Vizio tvs?

OH and is this tv 24P compatible???

THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierradump /forum/post/18290606

Ahhh... I was mis-informed. The guy at Best Buy told me the UN55B8000 was backlit but the 6000 and 7000 were not. Maybe he was crossing the 8500.

Okay well I suppose I should go for a local dimming set then.

I found the VIZIO Model VF552XVT at Costco! Is this the set you mention above, I see you mention 551 and 552 so I assume this is the one to keep an eye on.

Thanks again for all the advice!

EDIT:

ANOTHER IMPORTANT QUESTION: I notice with a lot of the TVs in the 120-240hz range that the motion looks "FAKE" and I think they coined the term "soap opera". Good for sports I suppose -but am I able to turn that feature OFF on Vizio tvs?

OH and is this tv 24P compatible???

THANKS AGAIN!

Yes, He misinformed you - the B8500 Samsung is Local Dimming LED and the dominant Top of the Line LCD on the market for 2009 - 2008 Sony XBR8 is right up there with it IMO and also Local Dimming LED if you can find one. The 2010 Samsungs C8000 debut soon April/May or in the case of 65" July - these will be 3D Ready also.

They will use a new feature called Pinpoint Dimming which has thousands of microshutters that control the backlight but at this point no one knows how effective it will be since we're awaiting the first models in the weeks ahead.

Unless your getting a killer deal keep in mind that Samsung new models debut in weeks ahead as well as Sharp's new 920/820 LED Series which use new UV2A panels and Quad Pixel Tech (RGBY Color) in a range of sizes that will max out at 68".

Also, don't confuse the Hz with Motionflow - Motionflow can be set at different levels or turned off but the Hz will continue to do it's thing. Yes these are 24P panels but in the case of Blu-Ray you need no Motion features since it'll pass it through and doesn't need the TV to do anything - it doesn't need motion help unless of course you want that soap opera effect. The 240 Hz should help with motion but it's an artifact you may not know it's working except for the times you may observe some. The new 3D ready panels are supposed to have improve motion control so that it can process 3D material I've read.

I'd be patient and check out the new Samsungs and Sharps as they are merely weeks away unless of course your getting a helluva deal. For info on the C7000 Samsung visit their website - the C8000 is not posted yet.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18290902

Yes, He misinformed you - the B8500 Samsung is Local Dimming LED and the dominant Top of the Line LCD on the market for 2009 - 2008 Sony XBR8 is right up there with it IMO and also Local Dimming LED if you can find one. The 2010 Samsungs C8000 debut soon April/May or in the case of 65" July - these will be 3D Ready also.

They will use a new feature called Pinpoint Dimming which has thousands of microshutters that control the backlight but at this point no one knows how effective it will be since we're awaiting the first models in the weeks ahead.

Unless your getting a killer deal keep in mind that Samsung new models debut in weeks ahead as well as Sharp's new 920/820 LED Series which use new UV2A panels and Quad Pixel Tech (RGBY Color) in a range of sizes that will max out at 68".

Also, don't confuse the Hz with Motionflow - Motionflow can be set at different levels or turned off but the Hz will continue to do it's thing. Yes these are 24P panels but in the case of Blu-Ray you need no Motion features since it'll pass it through and doesn't need the TV to do anything - it doesn't need motion help unless of course you want that soap opera effect. The 240 Hz should help with motion but it's an artifact you may not know it's working except for the times you may observe some. The new 3D ready panels are supposed to have improve motion control so that it can process 3D material I've read.

I'd be patient and check out the new Samsungs and Sharps as they are merely weeks away unless of course your getting a helluva deal. For info on the C7000 Samsung visit their website - the C8000 is not posted yet.

I'm going to add to this and say that you should wait to see how the Sony HX900 pans out... it's a local dimming backlit LED that does 3D and 240 hertz. not out till june though.

Also, LG has a local dimming set that does 3d and 480 hertz coming out in may (LE9500) and toshiba has their CELL TV, which does EVERYTHING but i bet it will be a fortune(upconverts to 4K, 3d, local dimming with 512 zones)

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18290902

I would add that not all brands and models of LCDs have separate controls for motion blur reduction (120-240 Hz), and motion smoothing. Samsung calls thier motion blur reduction Auto Motion Plus, and motion smoothing that Samsung calls Motion Flow. The more expensive Samsungs have them separate. It is a real advantage to having them separate.

I don't know whether Vizio has them separate or not, cause I'm not in the market right now, unless the Sharp 65 S 1 comes down to $1,700.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18280133

The Samsung LN55B8500 is a very good TV, and it is still around for $3,100. The model is discontinued and the best sources are drying up, but this is a good store: ABT via Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55B8...8167823&sr=8-1

Personally, I found the much less expensive Vizio 551 XVT to have great picture quality. The newer 552 may be available at Costco, where you would get a 2 year warrranty and a third year if you use an American Express card.

The 551/552 are both back-lit and local dimming.

Vizio is now shipping about as many LCDs as Samsung and Vizio is considered a top-tier brand by Consumer Reports. Vizio is as reliable as Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba based on 118,700 surveys of LCD sets purchased between 2006 and mid-2009.

Note that there are the reports of failing power supply capacitors right after the Samsungs are 1 year old. How wide spread that is and whether it has been fixed is unknown.

At my local Sams club, the 55 inch 551VXT had the best picture quality of all the sets on display.

Also note that the store salesmen make extra money, called a spiff, when they sell Samsung.

Steve S knows all about the Samsung spiffs.

Actually there are no spiffs on Samsung where I work at the present time, nor have there been any for the last 8 months or so. Shortly after the introduction of the UN series edge lit sets sales were abysmal largely due to the outrageous price so some spiffs were offered. I personally didn't like Samsung's misrepresentation of the technology and didn't feel the sets offered anything that couldn't be had for a lot less money in another set, so didn't recommend them over something else that would have cost my customer a lot less, spiff be damned. Many customers came in having been given the impression that led was some revolutionary thing other than a new kind of backlighting by the gang over at BB, and I made sure to disabuse them of the notion.

The 8500 is a very nice tv. It wasn't worth the 4k price it carried prior to going on closeout. At it's present price it does represent good value to someone who must have an "S" brand tv. I frankly wish we did carry the Vizio you recommend, as well as the LG H90 series so I could sell something other than Samsung in that class of lcd television-the cap thing bothers me. As things are now where I work the only alternatives to the 8500 I can recommend to my customers are the 54" Panny G-10 and Samsung's own PN50B850 plasmas, and I always show these to customers looking at the 8500 as they are still half the price and in my opinion offer better value for the money.

We had one customer who enthusiastically purchased a UN55B800 and subsequently returned two of them due to the effects of the motionflow feature. He exchanged the last one for a PN58B650 plasma and 1k in change and loves it. Seem the slightly dimmer picture isn't at all noticeable in his home and it's lack of interpolation artifacts while maintaining smooth motion and wider viewing angle have proved more important than a razor thin profile.

On a side note, Spyboy, and primarily because you take such pains to attack my integrity, I should tell you that I caught a fellow associate telling customers that the factory warrantys on Samsung only cover labor for 90 days in an effort to push the Protection Agreement. After checking Samsung's website to verify that they do inded cover labor for a full year I reported this deception to my supervisor.

·
Banned
235 Posts
I see Sharp's websiite says almost 4" thick on the LC-C52700UN. So its safe to say its not a super thin model right? Or is it possible just one small portion of the TV is over 3". I doubt its a super thin model which means my though of LED all being thin is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredneckbud /forum/post/18426350

I see Sharp's websiite says almost 4" thick on the LC-C52700UN. So its safe to say its not a super thin model right? Or is it possible just one small portion of the TV is over 3". I doubt its a super thin model which means my though of LED all being thin is just plain wrong.

Side-lit LED can be very thin, but back-lit LED are thicker.

Sharp engineers would do what they could to have a thinner set. To me, it doesn't seem likely that "just one small portion of the TV is over 3".

That series is just not one of the super thin models.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18295315

I should tell you that I caught a fellow associate telling customers that the factory warrantys on Samsung only cover labor for 90 days in an effort to push the Protection Agreement. After checking Samsung's website to verify that they do inded cover labor for a full year I reported this deception to my supervisor.

I used to sell/deal big screen TV's many years ago (when Mitsubishi CRT's were king) and I can't help but admire your integrity. But if I had reported this type of sales tactic to my supervisor, my supervisor would have told me to "shut up and mind my own business" and/or learn and follow his example.

The assistant manager would actually drop boxed TV's from a height of 2 or 3 feet to the floor if someone would not buy the extended warranty, hoping the TV would have some type of premature failure later on.

Retail sales is a dirty business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts