AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume this question has been asked before, but after a search I didn't see it directly addressed.

I'm using a 55" Sharp RPTV and while it looks outstanding with a DVD or a HD OTA source, it looks terrible watching cable. I recently purchased a TIVO and that just compounded the problem. I'm told my set has a pretty good line doubler, but I don't have anything to compare it too, so I just assume that's correct. I'm also told that DirectTV would improve my picture some, but it isn't an option due to where I live and installation issues.

So, is there a device that can make digital cable watchable on my set (I watch from about 10.5 feet away)?

Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
A large set simply highlights how bad normal TV looks compared to DVD or HD. A video processor like FE CS-1 or the Faroudja NRS (to name some cheaper ones) might help a bit, but nothing is going to improve it that much.

To be cliche: garbage in, garbage out.

If you were having problems with analog cable, I'd suggest trying out one of JVCs higher-end VCRs which has lots of ghost and noise removal circuitry. But for digital, there isn't much to do to get around the compression artifacts.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Don't forget that the lower cable channels (up to 50 or 100 depending on the franchise) on a "digital cable service" are still analog. A JVC 7800 or 9800 would help with those channels.

Also, a really low or high signal level can cause digital dropouts. Have your cable company check the signal levels getting to your set-top-box. Many older houses and apartments have really poor cabling that has degraded with the years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. While my cable signal has never been the best, it is very watchable on smaller tvs... the bigger screens really show the flaws.

I guess I'll stick to OTA Digital stuff as much as possible :\\

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Selden,

What do you mean? They are analog sourced? I believe most all are transmitted digitally even if analog sourced, which means they do not have the ghosting problems or noise on the line that the JVC specifically fixes.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Hey Cal,

From what I know, I don't think that's true. The lower channels are still analog on the cable. That's why you can take the cable directly from the wall and plug it into your TV's antenna input and still receive all those analog channels that are included in the basic package. Only the premium and multiplex channels like HBO, SHOWTIME, TMC, etc are digital and that's why you need the box.

It's a big farce from the cable co's making you think that they are all digital, so they can compete with the DirecTV's and DISH's of the world.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Certainly all of the channels below 100 are analog on our local TimeWarner cable franchise. After subscribing to digital, I was surprised to discover that many of the previously "encrypted" analog channels were watchable with no decoder at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.