AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Panasonic TU-HDS20 today and am a pretty disappointed.

First the positive: HDTV shows are INCREDIBLE on my X1 projector. Have seen $3000 HDTV's at Circuit City that don't seem to be any better than the X1.

The problem is that the Panasonic receiver is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. That I knew was going to be the case and could deal with, but SD channels are terrible. I had read somewhere that someone said that upconverted SD channels on this Panasonic were as good a DVD, but not the case. In fact, my old Hughes receiver (not HD) is sharper than the Panasonic on SD channels. SD channels are blurry.....

Anyone have an opinion about which Sat. receiver upconverts a better picture on SD channels? How about the Hughes E86?

Going to have to get another HD Satellite Receiver, just don't know what to get.....

·
Registered
33,827 Posts
You'll find the overall best D* receivers are the Sony HD200/Zenith 520. The do the best job of any receiver with upconversion and therefore SD picture quality. You'll also find them FAR faster than your Panny (I had that model and returned it). However, you may want to wait a few weeks for the release of the new Sony HD300. It will have simultaneous output of both HD & SD outputs. This will make taping very easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definitely wait for Sony's SAT-HD300! In addition to the simultaneous SD & HD outputs, a lot of the HD200 bugs have been fixed. Beta testers have been giving it rave reviews. And the retail price has dropped... I just preordered an HD300 at a local retailer for $649.99 with a 30 day return policy. Just be patient... it looks like early or mid-October before you can get one.

- Wilde

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.